Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
PennySD
PennySD began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3
Will this brick my kindle 3?

I'm currently in school and along with other benefits, i have unlimited access to their library/database. rather than printing out or having pdfs on my notebook/laptop, i've decided to mail them using my @free.kindle.com address.

the question is, will this brick my K3? Amazon obviously knows what i've sent to my kindle, but there's really no tags/data on these pdfs that differentiate them from the legit copy (full texts of books that are not available to non-students) and pirated copies except my word that they are legit copies.

will this brick my K3?

btw, what does brick refer to? can amazon completely shut down my device, or is it just that i have no access to the amazon store?

TIA!
PennySD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Brick is when the firmware of a device becomes corrupted and the gizmo no longer functions at all, thus basically being a brick that does nothing but sit there and sit. (Usually happens when you update your firmware)

And no, that doesn't happen when you mail yourself PDFs that might not be legit. While I've never done that, surely I would have heard about it if it had happened.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Nah... everything will be good to go...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
No you can put whatever you want on your kindle providing that it is in the right format and isn't DRM restricted.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySD View Post
I'm currently in school and along with other benefits, i have unlimited access to their library/database. rather than printing out or having pdfs on my notebook/laptop, i've decided to mail them using my @free.kindle.com address.

TIA!
Shouldn't cause any problems. You can put whatever you want to on your Kindle. For that matter, why mess with the email address thing at all? Just hook it up to your computer, assuming you have one of course, and transfer whatever you want via USB. Assuming you know how to hook up the cable and know how to open Windows Explorer and use external hard drives from Explorer, it's a lot faster and easier in my opinion.

Either way, you should be good to go.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
PennySD
PennySD began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3
haha awesome. maybe i was being too paranoid. thanks for the info!
PennySD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Because PDF files can be big, I'd suggest transferring them via the USB cable instead of emailing them. It will be much faster.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
You're good to go captain. May your unlimited access never come to end.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote