Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Change text sizes in mobi.

I was wondering how to make the text size in a mobi all uniformly one size.

I recently purchased a book on my Kindle and wanted to change the cover art and try to change the text size. I got the drm off and it is now a mobi.
The problem with the text is that it is really really big in most places and then half the size in others. How can I change all of the text to one size. The big text is twice the size from every other mobi on my Kindle and it is bothering me to have to change my text size in the Kindle just for this one book.

It seems weird to me that a purchased e-book from amazon has such a text size problem. Shouldn't these problems be worked out now that we are on the third generation.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this please let me know.
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent23 View Post
It seems weird to me that a purchased e-book from amazon has such a text size problem. Shouldn't these problems be worked out now that we are on the third generation.
It's absolutely nothing to do with Amazon. It's the publisher who creates the book, not Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Still, seems like Amazon should have some kind of standard set for all publishers to follow.. but whatever. Still need to know how to resize all text uniformly in a mobi.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Still, seems like Amazon should have some kind of standard set for all publishers to follow.. but whatever. Still need to know how to resize all text uniformly in a mobi.
The only way to do it is to decompile the Mobi book to its HTML source, edit the HTML, and then re-build the book. You need to look for HTML "size=" attributes. I'm afraid there's no easy solution.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The easiest way to fix things is to use Calibre to convert to ePub, fix it up so it looks good and then use Calibre to convert back to Mobi.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert from MOBI to MOBI in calibre, it will automatically rationalize font sizes
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

"Rationalise" is an alarming word . Do you mean that if I've deliberately chosen to make a paragraph smaller or larger than the default text size, it will "correct" it for me?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
violent23
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
convert from MOBI to MOBI in calibre, it will automatically rationalize font sizes
I already did this, text is still the same. A lot really big some half the size.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'd go with Jon's suggestion: use Calibre to convert to ePub, edit the book in Sigil to correct the text size issue, then convert back to Mobi with Calibre.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
violent23
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd go with Jon's suggestion: use Calibre to convert to ePub, edit the book in Sigil to correct the text size issue, then convert back to Mobi with Calibre.
Yeah, that sounds like the way it's gonna have to be.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Yeah, that sounds like the way it's gonna have to be.
I've encountered similar problems with some poorly formatted ebook; likely poorly proofed conversions from some other format. I've found the MOBI>ePub in Calibre then edit in Sigil and then ePub>MOBI in Calibre again a very workable method.

Often you will find that the two sections of the book are all properly tagged, but reference different styles. When editing the ePub version in Sigil, make note of the style names and then edit the CSS style sheet (under the Styles entry on Sigil's tree view). Find the two styles, the one for the "big" text and the one for the "small" text, and change one to match the other. The text should now be uniform throughout the ePub with the exception of any headings or whatever that reference other styles.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
violent23
Connoisseur

The thing that really gets me is that I paid for this book. I should not have to go through all of this trouble to fix something I paid for.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
violent23
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I've encountered similar problems with some poorly formatted ebook; likely poorly proofed conversions from some other format. I've found the MOBI>ePub in Calibre then edit in Sigil and then ePub>MOBI in Calibre again a very workable method.

Often you will find that the two sections of the book are all properly tagged, but reference different styles. When editing the ePub version in Sigil, make note of the style names and then edit the CSS style sheet (under the Styles entry on Sigil's tree view). Find the two styles, the one for the "big" text and the one for the "small" text, and change one to match the other. The text should now be uniform throughout the ePub with the exception of any headings or whatever that reference other styles.
BINGO!! This works... Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Rationalise" is an alarming word . Do you mean that if I've deliberately chosen to make a paragraph smaller or larger than the default text size, it will "correct" it for me?
No it means it will correct huge differences in font size, like some text being 40pt and some being 10pt
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The thing that really gets me is that I paid for this book. I should not have to go through all of this trouble to fix something I paid for.
I quite often edit eBooks I've paid for because the publishers don't format them the way I like. A lot have indents too large, spaces between paragraphs, fonts set to too small (I prefer the base font to be the default size), and margins too wide. These are typically the issues I deal with. Since I do know CSS and HTML well enough, I can fix these issues without too much hassle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote