Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
It's your choice. There are few if any books available only at Amazon. You trade your convenience (desire or whatever) for their method of doing business. It's their game, their rules, but you can play elsewhere. The cost of getting that new book at under ten dollars is using their equipment.
They still "force" you to buy their equipment if you want to buy their books. And them being so large, I see that as a way to control their market.

I think they're walking a tight line there. The only reason they're not going over it, is because they don't force you to buy their books. You can still get books from other sources.

From wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tying_(commerce)
Some kinds of tying, especially by contract, have historically been regarded as anti-competitive practices. The basic idea is that consumers are harmed by being forced to buy an undesired good (the tied good) in order to purchase a good they actually want (the tying good), and so would prefer that the goods be sold separately. The company doing this bundling may have a significantly large market share so that it may impose the tie on consumers, despite the forces of market competition. The tie may also harm other companies in the market for the tied good, or who sell only single components.
Translate that to:

Quote:
Some kinds of tying, especially by contract, have historically been regarded as anti-competitive practices. The basic idea is that consumers are harmed by being forced to buy a Kindle in order to purchase a book, and so would prefer that the goods be sold separately. The company doing this bundling may have a significantly large market share so that it may impose the tie on consumers, despite the forces of market competition. The tie may also harm other companies in the market for ebookreader, or who sell only single components.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
They still "force" you to buy their equipment if you want to buy their books. And them being so large, I see that as a way to control their market.

I think they're walking a tight line there. The only reason they're not going over it, is because they don't force you to buy their books. You can still get books from other sources.

From wikipedia:

Translate that to:
Again that would make sense if you could only get that specific book from the Kindle...or if they are the only ebook store...or if you signed a contract saying you would buy 24 books a year from their store.

I don't know of any exclusives (besides self published stuff), they are far from the only ebook store/reader and there is nothing forcing you to actually use their store. You could easily buy a Kindle and never give Amazon a cent by filling it with public domain books.

Last edited by Sporadic; 05-19-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Again that would make sense if you could only get that specific book from the Kindle...or if they are the only ebook store...or if you signed a contract saying you would buy 24 books a year from their store.

I don't know of any exclusives (besides self published stuff), they are far from the only ebook store and there is nothing forcing you to actually use their store. You could easily buy a Kindle and never give Amazon a cent by filling it with public domain books.
It works the other way around. I can't buy their books unless I buy a Kindle. And there are books that are only available at Amazon.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Quote:
It works the other way around. I can't buy their books unless I buy a Kindle. And there are books that are only available at Amazon.
And I can't use the books I buy (or the free books I collected) from Sony's store unless I have a PRS-505/700 reader. Even worse, it's impossible to break the DRM and convert it to something I can use on my Kindle.

What's your point?

(Also isn't the Amazon Kindle store open for iPhone owners?)

Last edited by Sporadic; 05-19-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And I can't use the books I buy (or the free books I collected) from Sony's store unless I have a PRS-505/700 reader. Even worse, it's impossible to break the DRM and convert it to something I can use on my Kindle.

What's your point?
The point is that Amazon is a major player in the bookmarket. Sony isn't.

But to get back to the question the OP asked, what if it hadn't been Amazon, but Microsoft?

I can remember the problems MS had when they shipped Mediaplayer (at least I think it was mediaplayer) with Windows (even though it was free, it had to be removed...)
Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

What's your point?

(Also isn't the Amazon Kindle store open for iPhone owners?)
Yes you can. All you need is the Windows software.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #22
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I bought an ebook reader so I wouldn't have to read on my computer. Just like I imagine others bought an ebook reader so they wouldn't have to read on an iPhone.

Quote:
The point is that Amazon is a major player in the bookmarket. Sony isn't.
Which goes back to my original post in this thread.

Quote:
You know who else does 1-3? Valve with Steam...

and yet they are hailed as champions against oppressive DRM.

I think a better question is, would Amazon be getting as much flak from nerds if they weren't on top of the pile and if the publishers were doing something worse?

Sony isn't much better and they only open up when they fall behind in market share.
With Amazon being perceived as the "evil" company, alot of people are pushing Sony's stuff which is just laughable to me. You think they would have added ePub and Adobe DRM protected PDF support if Amazon didn't pick up so much steam or if they were unopposed with Amazon's marketshare? No, no chance in hell.

Last edited by Sporadic; 05-19-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Bleh.... Until they up the hardware requirements and force you to upgrade your box (no, you cannot continue to play the games you already paid for....)

Or, until they ban you, without the right to appeal (and again, no, you cannot continue to play the games you already paid for....)

DRM is poison, no matter how they flavor your Kool-aid.
The one time i had trouble with steam (my half life key being registed by someone else), i was told to go buy the game again. Needless to say, i did NOT liked that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Microsoft is in a monopoly position, with a headlock on the market. Amazon is a company with many competitors, who by no means controls the market. If you don't like Amazon's practices, or their prices, you can go elsewhere.
Although I run Windows, I can buy my software from Adobe, Corel, and thousands of other vendors. If I buy a Kindle, I break the license agreement if I do not buy the books as well from Amazon. And because Amazon has the ability to disable the Kindle remotely, it is in a position to enforce the TOS. That is a significant difference between the two business models.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #25
Sporadic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Although I run Windows, I can buy my software from Adobe, Corel, and thousands of other vendors. If I buy a Kindle, I break the license agreement if I do not buy the books as well from Amazon. And because Amazon has the ability to disable the Kindle remotely, it is in a position to enforce the TOS. That is a significant difference between the two business models.
If you buy OS X Leopard, you can't install it on anything but a Mac or else you break their EULA...despite the fact they flaunt Boot Camp.

Where did you hear that Amazon has the ability to disable the Kindle remotely? Through the wireless (you never have to turn on), they can update your books but I've never heard of a case where they deep 6'd books. You can lose your Amazon account if you are a jackass but you still get to access to your books you currently have on it and the device itself (even if you are banned from the store)

Sounds like you misheard something.

- edit If you are talking about flags, you know that Sony's Blu-Ray has a flag (Image Constraint Token or ICT) that, when activated, will downcovert the picture to SD quality if your player is plugged in a "unsecured" fashion. Just because there is a flag, doesn't mean the company will ever activate it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Constraint_Token

Last edited by Sporadic; 05-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #26
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Quote:
Microsoft is in a monopoly position, with a headlock on the market. Amazon is a company with many competitors, who by no means controls the market. If you don't like Amazon's practices, or their prices, you can go elsewhere.
Is this a joke or serious?

Amazon is far the biggest etailer and the only giant in ebooks - moreso than Microsoft in software (they are clearly dominant only in the desktop/WS OS market.)
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #27
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Quote:
With Amazon being perceived as the "evil" company, alot of people are pushing Sony's stuff which is just laughable to me. You think they would have added ePub and Adobe DRM protected PDF support if Amazon didn't pick up so much steam or if they were unopposed with Amazon's marketshare? No, no chance in hell.
Good point - Sony is the granddaddy of proprietary, locked-down systems, softwares and services, clearly illegal DRMs (rootkits, SecuROM, anyone? All are being developed by Sony!)

Anyone thinks Sony is a better choice for less control than Amazon is clearly naive.
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamm View Post
Is this a joke or serious?

Amazon is far the biggest etailer and the only giant in ebooks - moreso than Microsoft in software (they are clearly dominant only in the desktop/WS OS market.)
Well, we non us people uses our readers happily without amazon
Quote:
Good point - Sony is the granddaddy of proprietary, locked-down systems, softwares and services, clearly illegal DRMs (rootkits, SecuROM, anyone? All are being developed by Sony!)

Anyone thinks Sony is a better choice for less control than Amazon is clearly naive.
Yep, i had a sony mp3 player, but i went for archos next time. Then, that's one of the reason i went for the cybook. Still, i'll sooner buy a psr-500 than a kindle, if only because the psr-500 is available here, and it do support epub.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-19-2009 at 03:15 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
If Microsoft announced an eReader with the following policies, how would the ePublishing community react?

1. You do not purchase anything, all product is sold under a revokable license.
2. Your reader can be controlled and DISABLED remotely at the discression of the seller
3. Contents can be controlled remotely with features turned on and off at the will of the seller.
Funny timing, but I just read that Microsoft was granted a patent today on intentionally crippling the functionality of an operating system by "making selected portions and functionality of the operating system unavailable to the user or by limiting the user's ability to add software applications or device drivers to the computer' until an 'agreed upon sum of money' is paid to 'unlock or otherwise make available the restricted functionality."

Sounds like 1, 2, and 3 right there. Doing it is one thing, but actually applying for a patent on it?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
AND iPod Touch owners running firmware 2.2.1 or newer!!! Even my (gently used) 1st gen Touch that I bought on eBay about three weeks ago can - and does - run Kindle for iPhone.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote