Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe James Patterson's 'Women's Murder Club' books?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Definitely recommend James Lee Burke
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #18
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Anyone read Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller series by C. J. Lyons?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Robert Crais - Elvis Cole and Joe Pike
Stuart Woods - Stone barrington and Dino Bacchetti
John Lescroart - Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitzky
Reginald Hill - Dalziel and Pascoe
Robert B. Parker Spenser and Hawk
George Pelecanos - Derek Strange and Terry Quinn
Randy Wayne White - Doc Ford and Tomlinson
Harlen Coben - Myron Bolitar and Win Lockwood
James Lee Burke - Dave Robichaud and Clete Purcel
Joe R. Lansdale - Hap Collins and Leonard Pine
Janwillem van de Wetering - Grijpstra and de Gier
Chris Kuzneski - Payne and Jones
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
looking for good mysteries with (all of a sudden, i feel stupid. i don't know the term for it) cop-partners. ugh, that sounded weird; sorry, taking a break from writing a take-home exam for econometrics class.

anyway, i'm a big fan of Marshall Karp (Lomax & Biggs mysteries) and Chris Grabenstein (John Ceepak mysteries). i'm big on the mystery, and not on hetero-romance. really looking for mind-benders, but i also like a bit of bromance/friendship angles.

hope i made myself clear. i think i just sounded weird
If you want close partners and mind-bender...

The Gestalt Man by Anthony E. Cardenas

Special Agent Michael Jeck of the FBI suffers from severe dissociative identity disorder. But through years of experimental psychotherapy, he is not only able to function, but can also work together with his five other personalities who help him solve violent crimes.

It contains more scenes of an adult/graphic nature than I like but, overall, a well written story.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At the risk of sounding too classic, I'd go for Agatha Christie novels ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #22
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Try the Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler. Well written, quirky and great fun as well as intriguing mysteries.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I have just about finished the Reykjavik Murder Mysteries by Arnaldur Indriðason and have thoroughly enjoyed them, though I've wanted to give the occasional character a proverbial kick up the backside.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I very much enjoyed the Wallander series by Henning Mankell.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #25
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I love LInda Prather's mysteries, sometimes there's a paranormal element to them too.
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am a huge fan of Barbara Fradkin's Inspector Green mysteries. There are now nine of them and I highly recommend that you read them in order as the characters do change over time. Fradkin is a Canadian child psychologist and her awareness of the foibles of mostly normal people and the ups and downs of relationships make her characters come alive for me.

She also has an overarching "theme" in some of the books. Her latest book, The Whisper of Legends, takes place in the Canadian Northern Territories providing an opportunity to learn a lot about the conflict between those who want to fully develop mining for natural resources and people who want the land preserved. An earlier book in the series explored the experience of being a "peacekeeper" in an oversees military campaign.

When she has a theme like this it is not heavy handed or preachy. I always feel that I have learned something valuable though (and they make me think).

Last edited by taming; 04-10-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
H. Beam Piper's _Murder in the Gunroom_ is quite good, and available in a very nice edition here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122195
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If you're interested in male partner cops, there's also the Rafferty & Llewellyn series by Geraldine Evans, which has been compared to television's Lewis and Hathaway, though I find that a slight stretch.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Patricia Cornwell's books featuring Kay Scarpetta.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #30
Miss A
Miss A began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Pro, Panasonic
Talking Best of luck

I agree with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak Mysteries
Also Stuart M. Kaminsky's Abe Lieberman books, kind of calm, but maybe more realistic than some.

I also love Val Mc Dermid's Tony Hill series (and the show), but it is gruesome an parts and eventually has some romance bits. Though overall the lead characters are friends/partners.
Miss A is offline   Reply With Quote