Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
My cover from Germany arrived

This is not a "slim" cover like the one from Amazon or GoogleProduct, so I'd thought to post it in its own thread.

First, some quickie pictures straight out of the camera, apart from resizing:

It is this cover over here, costing €10.95 or about $15, including shipping (at least, to the Netherlands). Shipping to the Netherlands took exactly one week.

Ledertasche für Amazon Kindle

Some points:
- It's not real leather. It's fake leather ("Kunstleder.") No problem: it seems to be stitched very well, and the case like it's of good quality for the money. At this point in time, I am not of the impression that it will soon fall apart.

- The inside of the lid seems to be made of some sort of microfiber or felt cloth.

- The case feels VERY sturdy. When shut, it feels like a hardcover book. It is somewhat smaller than my hardcover version of Black Beauty (edit: which is actually the smallest and thinnest book I own), and about 25% thinner. So the Kindle inside this case becomes comparable in size to a small, +/-150 page hardcover book.

- The Kindle slots in from the left. It has a flap about half as long as the Kindle's long side, and about an inch wide. You slot the device into the case, and then tuck the flap underneath the Kindle. There, it sticks to the case using Velcro. It's secure enough: It's actually a bit difficult unsticking the flap and folding it out again.

- While the item discription does not mention it, the case does have the on/off-feature like the Amazon and GoogleProduct cases have, and it works fine. (I found it mentioned in another auction, which sells this same case for $35.) Sometimes, turning off works instantly, sometimes it takes the Kindle up to 5 seconds. (I looked inside at the top corner ) It seems this magnet is a "software button", which is checked for activation only every few seconds.

- The USB-port and on/off button are accessible.

- The case can be folded back onto itself and can be easily held with one hand. The case lends a good grip.

- The magnet in the top corner of the lid is much stronger than the one on the bottom corner. It's at least twice as strong. The bottom magnet cannot be too strong, because it would cause the Kindle to turn off again if you should fold the case backward. I personally would have preferred a long magnet inside the right edge, if that had been possible.

- There is no metal or writing on this case anywhere.

- A warning might be in order. There is a cutout for the Kindle logo. It looks like as if the Kindle Touch might fit, with its button in the place of that cutout. However, the rest of the case fits the Paperwhite *exactly*. It's quite snug in there, and you actually need to bend the back a little to unstick and unfold the Velcro flap on the left. The Touch is a tad bigger and a little bit fatter than the Paperwhite. It might fit, but I have not tested this. (Maybe I can do so when I'm at my aunt next time, who now owns my Touch.)

- The only problem with this case, as with all black stuff: You will see every dust speck. Grrr. You can see some in the first picture already

I like these cases better than the ones with the 4 elastic retaining straps (blergh), and I have a feeling that I also like it better that I would with the Googleproducts cover. I just don't have too good a feeling about that case with regard to getting the Kindle out of I wanted to, which is the main reason to go looking for a different one.

For the money I've paid (€10.95), I'm very happy with it. I'd recommend this case if you're looking for a slot-in, instead of a snap-in book-type case.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
It's very nice! I really like it. Glad you're happy with it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks

There's another downside to this case. I now have a neoprene sleeve that fell into disuse (One that has impact foam on the inside, and is very good with regard to protection.)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
You will like that the bezel of the Kindle is covered. That is a magnet for smudges and finger prints.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

As if I hadn't discovered that As for me, they didn't even have to do the Kindle logo cutout, but as said, the Touch might now (just) fit.

Fingerprints count for the backside too. It's actually one of the reasons why I decided to try a book type case again. Normally, I use leather or neoprene pouches and sleeves and use my devices "naked".

The Touch has far less of an issue with fingerprints by the way. Must be the material.

I've been reading using this case foot for some time today. While it does make the device bigger and heavier, it's by no means unwieldy. People with very small hands might find it too big / heavy to read with one hand though.

A small issue is that they could have imprinted something such as "Kindle" on the front. Now it's exactly the same on both sides. You might find yourself holding the device upside down and backward while trying too open the case, if you don't pay enough attention.

I see the side lighting really makes that magnetic catches in the bottom and top right stand out. In practice, they are about invisible.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Here's an affordable one in the US

$12.99 + Free Shipping

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
Really nice cover, Katsunami I ordered this one, though I`m not sure about it, I might get a hard book cover instead, depends how the ordered one feels in person.

For those that prefer these "hard covers", here`s another nice one -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UHC5X4 ($4.95 at the moment) (and it comes in a variety of colors -- Dark Blue, Black, Green, Hot Pink, Light Blue, Light Pink, Orange, Purple, Red, White). From the reviews, though, it looks like the sleep function is not working so well (magnet being to weak or not close enough?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41GOwC88-BL.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	100745   Click image for larger version

Name:	415osHphpmL.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	100746   Click image for larger version

Name:	41YSgSdWm4L.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	100747  
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Perran
Perran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, K4
I have a Moko cover bought on Amazon, which is very similar to the one In Katsunami's photos above. A few weeks ago, it was 5.99 but still is just 9.99. The only differences that I can see are that:

1. The flap that folds over to secure the Paperwhite is at the top and has no velcro, although it is very secure.

2. The "leather" is smooth, not textured. I have had no problems with marks on it, and it's very soft and comfortable to hold.

The magnets are strong and the on/off works perfectly. For the price, even at 9.99, I'm very happy with this cover and prefer it to the heavier and less soft Amazon one, which I was using before. There is also a flip version.
Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks; just read for an hour with the Kindle in it. It even feels like holding a hardcover book. (With the book being at the beginning forever, and the added perk to fold it backwards without breaking )

The covers above look nice. However, personally I have no use for a cover/stand-combination, and I don't like covers that use snaps, like the second one posted by BugA. I do like however, that it also covers the Kindle logo and therefore the bottom edge is completely straight. Wish mine had that. (Yeah, I'm picky to the extreme with regard to stuff such as this, as I sometimes use the thing for hours on end )

The Lion August one (second) seems to be a snap-in slim version. I considered the slot-in version similar to mine, but preferred the retaining flap (the one you tuck underneath the Kindle) to be on the left, rather than on the top. Also, that flap on my cover has Velcro, the Lion August did not seem to. Lastly, I preferred the full width lid of my German cover. Yeah, picky. I know

On/off works well with my cover. The Kindle seems to poll the magnetic relais every few seconds. It can take about 5-6 seconds to actually turn off, but if you engage the relais just before a poll, the Kindle of course turns off immediately. I tested it using the tip of a magnetic screwdriver. Also, peeked in the top right corner of the cover to see if the Kindle was actually off.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-06-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool 95% of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
...personally I have no use for a cover/stand-combination...
95% of the time I read with the kindle sitting on the arm of the easy chair I'm sitting in.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

So you actually don't hold your Kindle when reading?

I can't even imagine. My eyesight is way too poor for that. I'm extremely near-sighted, so as many such people do, I read without glasses, holding the book at a distance of 15-20cm. It depends on the day itself (how I feel) and lighting conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perran View Post
I have a Moko cover bought on Amazon, which is very similar to the one In Katsunami's photos above. A few weeks ago, it was 5.99 but still is just 9.99. The only differences that I can see are that:

1. The flap that folds over to secure the Paperwhite is at the top and has no velcro, although it is very secure.

2. The "leather" is smooth, not textured. I have had no problems with marks on it, and it's very soft and comfortable to hold.f

The magnets are strong and the on/off works perfectly. For the price, even at 9.99, I'm very happy with this cover and prefer it to the heavier and less soft Amazon one, which I was using before. There is also a flip version.
It sounds as if this is the slot-in version of the Lion August I described (they actually also come as Generic, without any logo), and which I ultimately did not choose because of the points you mention. So, I was right thinking that it is a cover with a soft lid, instead of a hardcover lid (and back) like mine?

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-05-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So you actually don't hold your Kindle when reading? ...
Correct.