Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #2866
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Try reinstalling, maybe? that might work...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #2867
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
So bizarre -- the screensavers hack just disappeared on me! I had done a reboot (not a full reset) and I was back to stock screensavers. The linkss folders were still on my Kindle, so that's not the issue. I just re-installed the hack and that update ran successfully. Rather odd and surprising. I hope I'll get my screensavers back now.

For reference, I'm on 5.3 and ran the jailbreak + bridge before updating to 5.3

edited to add: after the re-install of the linkss bin, I'm back to my custom screensavers.

Last edited by sparrowlight; 11-29-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: update
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #2868
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmm. well. given that the device is in constant contact with "home base" nothing that involves spurious file removal/alteration can be listed as bizarre unless you have FlightMode on...

And even then there are reports of "activity" : )

Glad you got it sorted
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #2869
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hmm. well. given that the device is in constant contact with "home base" nothing that involves spurious file removal/alteration can be listed as bizarre unless you have FlightMode on...

And even then there are reports of "activity" : )

Glad you got it sorted
You are right. I had Airplane Mode on too ... so who knows. But it's all good now I have my custom images back up.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #2870
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cscat: Duokan does its own ugly thing on its own regarding usbnet handling. Using it in concert with the standalone USBNet hacks has always been a dicey proposition .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #2871
duceduc
duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
I just jailkbreak and installed the screensaver hack on my k3 version 3.4. It seems to be working as I can see my screensaver. However, it only shows one image out of 3 I have made thus far. It never advance to the others. Am I suppose to wait a bit for the old cache to clear?
duceduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #2872
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
Hello NiLuJe

First thank you for this jailbreak.

I noticed that everything comes with an uninstall.bin apart from the 'update_python_0.2.N_k3gb'. How do I go about uninstalling this please, or will running update_ss_0.33.N_k3gb_uninstall.bin take care of this too?
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #2873
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
Hello NiLuJe
First thank you for this jailbreak.
I noticed that everything comes with an uninstall.bin apart from the 'update_python_0.2.N_k3gb'. How do I go about uninstalling this please, or will running update_ss_0.33.N_k3gb_uninstall.bin take care of this too?
just remove the python folder when the kindle i plugged into your computer.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #2874
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
Thank you. After the uninstall I found all the folders that were created when installing the jailbreak remain, is this normal? I uninstalled ss hack first, then jailbreak and everything was successful in that respect.
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #2875
morrislee
morrislee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
how to update jailbreak for k2i

thanks NiLuJe for your jailbreaks. i have been using version 0.7 together with Font 4.6 N for a while, and recently i noticed an updated version (0.11) as well as Font 5.6 N. would like to check with you,
-- if i update Font to 5.6 version only, should i need to uninstall 4.5N first?
-- if i need to update the jailbreak, do i have to uninstall version 0.7 as well as Font 4.6N before updating/installing version 0.11?
-- or just simply put version 0.11 under root directory and "update my kindle", without any touch on the old version, nor Font?

thanks for your clarification. regards,
morrislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #2876
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
as a general rule.
You can splatter stuff straight over the top.
Evidence? I always have and nothing ever died.

The uninstallers work for older versions. I have used them to this end before.

In actual answer to your question: I would in that position either do nothing with the JB (what works works) Just splatter over the updated font thing. Then test that. if that works then great.

then if I was feeling like I really really wanted a higher number on my JB thingy I would remove it and run the newer installer.

DISCLAIMER: Tbh your question has been asked in various guises throughout this thread over and over again. I am simply dredging from memory the answers I read.

Maybe a "UPDATING FROM OLDER VERSIONS!!!!" and "DO I NEED TO REMOVE THE PREVIOUS VERSION???" big bold FAQ would be in order Niluje in the top posts?

No I mean really big

Oh and If I got the answer wrong? heheh even more need for the HUGE FAQ hehehe

HTH

Last edited by twobob; 12-08-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added more detail and concurred with Niluje
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #2877
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@duceduc: Check that the files you're using are properly encoded, and at the proper resolution (as usual, PNG8 files dithered down to 16 shades of gray provide the best results).

@jackhulk: Yes. None of the uninstallers remove the stuff found in the userstore, to preserve user content.

@morrislee: You can safely install the new versions on top, for everything *except* the jailbreak: you'll have to uninstall this one first.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #2878
duceduc
duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.duceduc knows the square root of minus one.

@niluje: for the late reply. I didn't get a notice of reply. I created my images following this link.
http://blog.grapii.com/2011/09/how-t...-screensavers/

My file sizes are no larger than 86k and is saved in png. I also downloaded sample k3 screensaver images from the net saved as .jpg.
http://kindlewallpapers.tumblr.com/

It still doesn't work for me. Stuck at the first image.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #2879
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@duceduc: That link looks okay, but keep in mind that the PW expects a 758x1024 image ...

On the other hand, the K3 JPG files are a big no-no, and will probably screw up everything if you try to be clever and just rename them as .png without actually converting them to PNG8. If they're still using the .jpg file extension (or .jpeg [actually, anything other than .png]), the hack will discard them automatically.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-09-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #2880
duceduc

Thanks for the reply. What I meant to say was that I saved the images on the second link as is and that it was in .jpg and not the recommended png file. I didn't just change the file name and not have it converted correctly. I don't know what it wouldn't work for me. I'll up the size as you suggested and see if that helps any.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet