Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Which sellers are offering refunds?

Hi all,

Two days ago a bought a book on Kobo and discovered after opening it that it's the first edition of the book in question. Searching more, I discover that Kobo also sell the second edition for a couple of bucks more. Didn't notice that when I bought and assumed that they would be selling the latest edition only. Why wouldn't they? It's a technical book, so the edition matters. First interaction with customer service wasn't positive but I will pursue this doggedly.

On a more general note, plenty of e-books have typos and formatting errors not present in the paper version. In future I plan on buying only from sellers who will offer a refund if this turns out to be the case. I think this is only fair since, being an e-book, the buyer has no way to see what they've bought until after the money changes hands.

I know Amazon offers refunds (although I don't have a Kindle). I think Deisel might and I'm checking. I've heard that Sony and B&N will not offer refunds. I would love to hear others' experience in this domain so that I can choose which sellers to use and which to avoid in future. I plan on writing to sellers on my ban list to explain why I won't be using them.

Thanks!
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Refund politics, AFAIK, are seller's, not editor's. Therefore, every ebook purchased in Amazon can be returned in one week without hassle, on-line. I think any other seller does this, and it can't be done in a book by book or editor by editor basis.

Just to comment, I suffered and suffered to get refunded from a brazilian ebook store because the book was slow (maybe bad linkage, or strange protections).
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
Hi all,

Two days ago a bought a book on Kobo and discovered after opening it that it's the first edition of the book in question. Searching more, I discover that Kobo also sell the second edition for a couple of bucks more. Didn't notice that when I bought and assumed that they would be selling the latest edition only. Why wouldn't they? It's a technical book, so the edition matters. First interaction with customer service wasn't positive but I will pursue this doggedly.

On a more general note, plenty of e-books have typos and formatting errors not present in the paper version. In future I plan on buying only from sellers who will offer a refund if this turns out to be the case. I think this is only fair since, being an e-book, the buyer has no way to see what they've bought until after the money changes hands.

I know Amazon offers refunds (although I don't have a Kindle). I think Deisel might and I'm checking. I've heard that Sony and B&N will not offer refunds. I would love to hear others' experience in this domain so that I can choose which sellers to use and which to avoid in future. I plan on writing to sellers on my ban list to explain why I won't be using them.

Thanks!
Why should you get a refund? It was your mistake, not Kobo's.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
7 day one-click refund policy on Amazon.com for any reason. Not all stores have this type of policy: I don't think Barnes and Noble let you return ebooks.

Also, I sometimes get formatting and editing updates to ebooks in my library. They get delivered automatically. I love Amazon.

Last edited by xendula; 10-07-2012 at 06:07 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Why should you get a refund? It was your mistake, not Kobo's.
Does it matter? I can return a paper book at any brick and mortar store, so why should I not have the same option with ebooks?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
When you "return" an eBook, you still have a perfectly readable copy on your computer or device. I think it is great that Amazon will do this, but I would guess that they pay attention to how often a particular customer does that sort of thing.

Kobo Canada often has different versions by different publishers of the same book. It seems fairly common to have a book here to be available in this way. I always look for that kind of thing when I buy a book.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Does it matter? I can return a paper book at any brick and mortar store, so why should I not have the same option with ebooks?
Thanks for your support, but best not to feed the troll. This isn't the first time he's made comments of this sort on threads like this.

I'm a big boy, I can deal with Kobo's customer service. I have extra ammunition now, as it happens, since this epub doesn't display on my reader for some reason. I just get big fat "Page Error!"

I'm mainly wondering (for the reasons posted above) which retailers people have had success in getting refunds. Also which are really bad, so I don't have to waste my time with them in future. I don't recollect refunds being a problem in the past, but perhaps I only tried Amazon.

Last edited by raac; 10-07-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
raac
Zealot

This from Diesel:

Thanks for the note. Our general policy is that we do not refund an ebook after it has been downloaded. If there are errors, we can get a new feed from the supplier or refund at that time. We try to keep our clients happy and loyal.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
When you "return" an eBook, you still have a perfectly readable copy on your computer or device.
The two times I returned a book (once, because I accidentally bought it instead of sending a sample, the other time because I bought 50 Shades after reading the sample, then realized how sick the book was getting another chapter into it) the copy was instantly removed from my device and from my cloud library. I don't imagine people actually abusing this, but even if they did... You could technically read through a paper book in two weeks, then return it to B&N. Again, I don't imagine people would actually do this, as I assume most people are honest.

Last edited by xendula; 10-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Thanks for your support, but best not to feed the troll. This isn't the first time he's made comments of this sort on threads like this.

I'm a big boy, I can deal with Kobo's customer service. I have extra ammunition now, as it happens, since this epub doesn't display on my reader for some reason. I just get big fat "Page Error!"

I'm mainly wondering (for the reasons posted above) which retailers people have had success in getting refunds. Also which are really bad, so I don't have to waste my time with them in future. I don't recollect refunds being a problem in the past, but perhaps I only tried Amazon.
Gotcha, and this is actually interesting to know. I hope you'll get a good amount of answers.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:

I'm a big boy, I can deal with Kobo's customer service. I have extra ammunition now, as it happens, since this epub doesn't display on my reader for some reason. I just get big fat "Page Error!"...
Yes, quite ridiculous of me to expect people to take responsibility for their own mistakes.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
If someone bought one of my books and then, for instance, realized they'd already bought it from another store, that might be the buyer's mistake, but I'd have no problem with the store offering a refund. I don't like it when I see a return appear on my Kindle sales page, but it's still better having a reader walk away annoyed.

I've requested refunds a few times, when books had formatting problems or something that were just too annoying to ignore. Sony, BN (I think), and Fictionwise have all responded to such requests, though it required going through customer service. (In at least one case, though, I was really just asking them to fix the error rather than issue a refund, but that was more than they could handle.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data,
providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions,
facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the
full text of the very first item. In particular, "Deliberately provoking other members is prohibited" and "Name calling is not permitted".

When posting, your compliance with the Guidelines is compulsory.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-08-2012 at 07:07 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The two times I returned a book (once, because I accidentally bought it instead of sending a sample, the other time because I bought 50 Shades after reading the sample, then realized how sick the book was getting another chapter into it) the copy was instantly removed from my device and from my cloud library. I don't imagine people actually abusing this, but even if they did... You could technically read through a paper book in two weeks, then return it to B&N. Again, I don't imagine people would actually do this, as I assume most people are honest.
Unlike Amazon's Kindle. folks using other devices actually can have copies of the book on their computer in ways that the seller cannot control. For example, I can download an ePUB of a book that I have purchased from Kobo that cannot be retrieved by Kobo. They could delete the kepub version, but not the ePUBs.

Last edited by taming; 10-08-2012 at 09:37 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Unlike Amazon's Kindle. folks using other devices actually can have copies of the book on their computer in ways that the seller cannot control. For example, I can download an ePUB of a book that I have purchased from Kobo that cannot be retrieved by Kobo. They could delete the kepub version, but not the ePUBs.
With Amazon, users can keep a copy as well, I just don't think that users would do this. If you don't go out of our way to keep a copy, the book will be gone from all your devices as soon as they are connected to the internet again. I guess sellers just need to trust their customers if they want to offer returns.