Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Kindle search

Is it possible to search whole words only? For example if I am searching for word "run" I don't want to get results with "running". Or even in reverse. I think I once wrote "running" and got results with words "run" which makes it impossible to actually find the books with the term I am searching for.

So if the SIMILAR word is common I fail to find what I am searching. I am not looking for similar words. I am searching for an exact match. How to do that?

At the current search I should get 5 books only and I get pages and pages of results since SIMILAR word is common in many books. And those 5 books with an EXACT match aren't the first in results.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I generally search for a character name, or a phrase, and I seem to get the results I am looking for. The other day I was reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and there was a reference to a picture where someone was wearing a red patch on their clothing. I searched on "red patch," and it took me right to that first reference on the first page of results.

I think the search results are going to be better within a book, vs. searching the entire Kindle contents.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Yes, but I am searching for all books which have a certain word. Can't remember exactly, but I know it had the ending ing, so something like running and it gave me almost all my books as results with word run.
I would get if I searched for word run and got also the ones with running, but this is insane. It gives results which completely doesn't match the search word.
You lucky if you search for some word which doesn't have a very common other form, but if it does, search is completely useless.

Explain to me how to find books with word running? Without getting almost all my books since almost all books have word run.

What right does the search function has to edit my search word when there are books with an exact match.

I think search in a book itself works the same too, so if I want to find running I will have to go through all the results with word run
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You're right. I just tested it, and searching "running" also returns results for "run." I also tried the phrase "running toward," and this returned two instances in my book, "running towards" and "run towards."

I went through the manual, and there isn't any indication that you can change the way the Kindle searches.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Noughty
Addict

Will contact amazon and ask about it. For me it represents a problem.

Imagine looking for "staring" and getting results with "star" - it makes no sense.

Last edited by Noughty; 02-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
maybe some one would be willing to write a file search system hack (s. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=61)

The Kindle file search system is deficient in many ways and could be easily improved, if Amazon wanted to. For some reasons, nothing has changed in this respect since a couple of years.

E.g. you won't be able to find the files like ThisForumRocks.pdf, without knowing the exact name.
No problem with the hack described above.
By indexing the pdf, txt, and mobi files, it would be easy to implement a search for combinations (e.g. "running towards") in your files as well.

Last edited by eLiNK; 02-21-2012 at 05:24 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Noughty
Addict

I contacted amazon and they said they will pass it to developers. Hope it will be considered.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Noughty
Addict

I just found this:
"When you add content to your Kindle, it immediately starts indexing that content. That means the Kindle starts to build an internal database of all the information in that content. You can quickly perform searches against all the content in your Kindle, and search results are returned almost instantaneously."

Is it a lie or is something wrong with my kindle? For me it takes a few minutes to get results. It's very annoying, impossible to search. I press search and go do something because it takes ages.
It's fast only when the word is very very rare, but most titles of my books have common words so it's no help.

I am searching asdfgh now. I started the search when I started this thread and it's still searching. Took 2 minutes to get zero results. It would also show if any books are not indexed, but all are indexed. So is it normal that search takes over 2 minutes?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
So is it normal that search takes over 2 minutes?
In my experience, not that I search a lot but that seems long, it's dependent on the number of books (and perhaps their length/size) on the device.

EDIT I just ran your asdfgh search on my Kindle Touch with 1,183 items (241 not indexed) and it took 15 seconds for the results to appear.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-23-2013 at 10:33 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Noughty
Addict

Mine are all indexed, amount of books similar. But takes way longer.

I analyzed kindle disk and it's 63% fragmented. But I saw someone write that it's not good to defragment kindle. Some had improvement after that.

Update after talking with kindle support:

If you search for author sort by author as you can when jump to author when you type (first letter is enough and you jump to authors from that letter).

After update search is a lot faster. Update 4.1.1.

Last edited by Noughty; 01-23-2013 at 01:08 PM.