med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
# of kindle e-book licenses NOT listed on product page

I just purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cr_thx_view

I first looked at it on the chrome cloud browser

then I later downloaded it to my android.

THEN I tried to load it on my mac reader.
No go:
license limit reached.
talked to customer support. This title only supports 1 license!!!!!

I can't believe amazon advertises being able to have a book on multiple devices and having it sync when publishers are allowed to sell only 1 license.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

First, this must be some sorta of consumer false advertisement for not listing the number of licenses on the amazon kindle product pages for each book. Please let me know if should contact a lawyer and to bring legal pressure to help the consumer.

Second, do you have any tips? I have less than 48 hours to return the 400+ dollar text book.
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by med007 View Post
I just purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cr_thx_view

I first looked at it on the chrome cloud browser

then I later downloaded it to my android.

THEN I tried to load it on my mac reader.
No go:
license limit reached.
talked to customer support. This title only supports 1 license!!!!!

I can't believe amazon advertises being able to have a book on multiple devices and having it sync when publishers are allowed to sell only 1 license.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

First, this must be some sorta of consumer false advertisement for not listing the number of licenses on the amazon kindle product pages for each book. Please let me know if should contact a lawyer and to bring legal pressure to help the consumer.

Second, do you have any tips? I have less than 48 hours to return the 400+ dollar text book.
Return it! I would never pay that much for an ebook and with the limitations it's just not worth it. Get a used or new book from a merchant for less if you need it for school. You can even rent some text books for a lot less. My hubby rented his marketing book for half the price from the university book store.

I am going to show my hubby this. We balked at his textbook for class being $150. That book is the price of a Tablet PC or laptop. *faints*
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
For most books, you can read it on multiple devices. The limits are not set by Amazon, but by the publisher. Apparently, this publisher is greedy and only wants 1 device to read it at a time. Amazon definitely should have been more clear on that, and I would recommend that you just return the book.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
That is so not cool. I understand it is a textbook and they want control but they need to put their limitation on the product page. If it isn't there -- then bad form.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
This totally Sucks! I've never run into it and and I read books across several devices most of the time!

I don't know if this is new or has always been there??

It's on outrage I tell you!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think Amazon fine print states that unless otherwise stated the device limit is assumed to be 6 devices. The OP did read his textbook on at least two non-Kindle devices (Chrome Cloud browser and an Android device), so his claim of only 1 device is BS. I bet if he owned four Kindles he could read it on all of them too.

But seriously, $450 for an eBook. @Blossom is right in that is too much for an eBook. He should talk to his professor, who probably wrote the book, and demand satisfaction. Or find another class. I realize this is a medical reference book, but it is probably best purchased as a PDF if the OP needs it in digital format.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-02-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
It's surprising that the product details don't specify the number of simultaneous devices. I thought it would always tell you the number if it was something other than 6.

Also, I see that someone posted a review that made the same point (maybe that was you, Med007).

Personally, I would return the book. And make it clear why you are doing so.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tween this and the Gizmodo article I was/am still somewhat confused. I've never run into this "limit" per title before.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Tween this and the Gizmodo article I was/am still somewhat confused. I've never run into this "limit" per title before.
I would chalk up any confusion to publisher error in submitting the books and Gizmodo error in being a sloppy, inaccurate blog with the apparent writing motto of: Stupid in--Stupid out!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
kennyc

Still waiting to hear something from the 1Q84 readers here at MR... since I don't own it yet -- have been waiting, hoping the price will drop.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I just randomly looked at product pages for the most popular Kindle ebooks at Amazon, and I no longer see how many devices are licensed for any of the books I checked. That information used to be there. However, if a Kindle ebook is DRM-free, on the product detail page at Amazon it will say "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited." I just double-checked my husband's Kindle ebook, which is DRM-free, to make sure that's still specified (it is).

In the Amazon.com Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use it states:

Quote:
Use of Digital Content. Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider. The Content Provider may include additional terms for use within its Digital Content. Those terms will also apply, but this Agreement will govern in the event of a conflict. Some Digital Content, such as Periodicals, may not be available to you through Reading Applications.
This information needs to be clearly stated on each product page. We need to know what we're buying!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I would strip the DRM and move on with my life.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #13
med007
Enthusiast

the 1 license is true. the chrome browser version does not keep the file as active use. but once you have it on your phone, it is no longer available for viewing on the chrome browser.

Amazon claims the publishers writes all of the info for the product page.

Who could you sue for false advertisement? the publisher or amazon?
(really you can't sue if they will return it for you, right?)
unless you claimed emotional damages - which wouldn't fly.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #14
med007
Enthusiast

http://gizmodo.com/5854973/amazon-is...uin-the-kindle

is this the article someone mentioned?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #15
med007
Enthusiast

the gizmodo article was updated - states it was an amazon problem - I wonder if this is the case with the medical textbook.