Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I just searched and had no problem finding FireWire adapters for PCIe or cardbus.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:34 PM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I just searched and had no problem finding FireWire adapters for PCIe or cardbus.
Cardbus as in PCMICA or PCIe laptop slot? Laptops haven't had PCMCIA for over 12 years. Or PCIe /Cardbus as in slots laptops had for a few years after PCMCIA. Laptops haven't had any sort of card slot for over 8 years. The replacement for PCMCIA had an option for USB instead of PCI, so most cards were repackaged USB sticks and thus rubbish performance compared to PCMCIA. Only USB 3.0 full spec can do original Firewire speeds.

I was referring to the motherboard PCIe slots that have replaced PCI. It's plausible there might be cards for those, but that's no use for laptops. Fortunately I have PCI slots and PCI Firewire and PCI SCSI cards from 2005 that still work and have Linux drivers.

Anyway, I looked on Amazon Germany and there are loads of high quality MP3/PMP that are iPod sized rather than phone sized. Many take up to 256 G Byte SD cards, so I'd not be worrying about Firewire for a 10G iPod that needs a
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you plug in a firewire device if the computer doesn't have firewire?
Last time one friend of mine wanted to use their antique iPod, they used a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. Worked quite well for them to get the music off the iPod Touch which is what they were interested in doing. No extra cost for the adapter since it was originally purchased to allow backing up a mass of photos, etc. from an old external Firewire hard drive.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-16-2022 at 04:17 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've never had anything with Thunderbolt.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #65
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I still use my Ipod and nanos daily. They just never seem to wear out. Ipod3 is loaded with all the music my Mom and I own. I use the nanos mostly for audiobooks, but now I can use one in my car since it has an accessory plug in to use the stereo speakers (I drive ancient vehicles). Fortunately, there are 3rd party manufacturers for the batteries, but so long as I have a working docking station, I'm good to go as it bypasses the battery.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #66
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used my Zune until it died and since they were not being manufactured anymore, I switched to an iPod and hated it. I now use a Fiio which supports lossless formats, and I can access Sirius/XM and Amazon Music too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:32 PM   #67
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I used my Zune until it died and since they were not being manufactured anymore, I switched to an iPod and hated it. I now use a Fiio which supports lossless formats, and I can access Sirius/XM and Amazon Music too.
Apache
Never heard of them, although once I started using my phone I never looked again for portable music players. But I have to say that the Fiio players look very swanky.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote