Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Power Button

Just received my Forma and it's gorgeous! Super lightweight and the screen is lovely. However, no matter how hard I press the power button it won't wake up from sleep mode. Any suggestions? Is this normal behavior? Is there a certain sweet spot on the button for waking up/putting to sleep?

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Just received my Forma and it's gorgeous! Super lightweight and the screen is lovely. However, no matter how hard I press the power button it won't wake up from sleep mode. Any suggestions? Is this normal behavior? Is there a certain sweet spot on the button for waking up/putting to sleep?

My Forma's power button is a bit stiff so a moderately hard press is needed. Does your power button work to turn on the Forma if it was shutdown? Does it do a forced shutdown if you hold the power button for ~10 seconds?

AFAIK, the only time you can't wake from sleep by pushing the power button is when you have enabled screenshots where the only power button option is to hold it long enough to trigger the forced power off. In your Kobo eReader.conf do you see Screenshots=true under the [FeatureSettings] section?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My Forma's power button is a bit stiff so a moderately hard press is needed. Does your power button work to turn on the Forma if it was shutdown? Does it do a forced shutdown if you hold the power button for ~10 seconds?

AFAIK, the only time you can't wake from sleep by pushing the power button is when you have enabled screenshots where the only power button option is to hold it long enough to trigger the forced power off. In your Kobo eReader.conf do you see Screenshots=true under the [FeatureSettings] section?
No amount of pressure applied will wake/sleep/power off/reset/shutdown the device. I reached out to Kobo and they are sending a replacement unit.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
No amount of pressure applied will wake/sleep/power off/reset/shutdown the device. I reached out to Kobo and they are sending a replacement unit.
Try plugging it in to a wall charger and then depressing the button. FWIW, that button is always a problem for nearly everyone, I think.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Try plugging it in to a wall charger and then depressing the button. FWIW, that button is always a problem for nearly everyone, I think.

Jim
No joy. It's packaged up and about to head over to the UPS store to drop it off.

If the replacement unit is equally as troublesome then I'm going to give up on the Forma. Which I really don't want to because, for me, it's fairly close to being a perfect reader. The screen size, screen quality, 32GB, page turn buttons, extremely comfortable to hold, and very lightweight. I don't understand why Kobo made the design change for the placement/location of the power button for the Forma....

Last edited by 93terp; 06-20-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
FWIW, one thing that adds value to an e-reader, for me, is a sleep cover. It makes it so easy to use. You just open it, and start to read, and when you're done, close it. It also makes it more like a book.

So, even though I agree the power button is not a joy to use, I (almost) never do. I don't need to.

The cover also protects the screen. And it barely weighs anything.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On the other hand, I think adding any kind of cover on a Forma is a waste of one of its best qualities: how light it is.

(Naked devices forevah'!).

(Also, not having a working power button is still highly problematic, because you won't be able to fix it if it deadlocks).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-21-2020 at 01:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
On the other hand, I think adding any kind of cover on a Forma is a waste of one of its best qualities: how light it is.
I agree, but I have cursed that power button many a time.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, I got used to it (hell, dare I say, I kind of like it, given its position?), but it's certainly... surprising at first ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I either adjusted so quickly I’ve forgotten or my Formas power button never had issues. I’m leaning toward the button not being an issue because even on my second Forma (USB port started flaking out on the first) was just like the first.

I think given the design of the Forma the placement and stiffness makes sense. It’s out of the way for most accidental presses and just stiff enough to avoid accidental presses the way I hold it.

I’m also a fan of the naked Forma, I’ve tried the sleepcover from Kobo and while it’s fine and serves a purpose long term use pushed me back to just the Forma.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The power button on my Forma definitionally lost it's stiffness with use over the years. I remember when I first got the device, it was a problem that if I was not careful to press the power button in the center, the button would rock without pressing in. Not only does that never happen anymore, but I all too often hit it by accident.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
So, even though I agree the power button is not a joy to use, I (almost) never do. I don't need to.
That's all well and good until you have to do a reset, which involves the power button....
Old 06-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #13
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

(Naked devices forevah'!).

(Also, not having a working power button is still highly problematic, because you won't be able to fix if it deadlocks).
Usually I'm a proponent of having a case on my readers, but recently I discovered the love of naked device reading on my Aura One. Wow what a difference being caseless makes! It's so light, and I daresay more comfortable to hold/read without the case.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #14
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Cannot stand the power button myself and I've never seen a reliable sleep cover that lets me put a reader in my backpack and not have it wake up and start flipping pages\wasting half the battery unintentionally so that's the first thing I switch off on a new reader. I prefer a naked device anyway.

Just have to get used to having to hurt your finger every time you want to wake the device up, no idea how such a crappy piece of design made it onto an otherwise near perfect reader.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

UPDATE & First Impressions

Received my replacement Forma yesterday and I got a much better unit; the power button is much more responsive than the first one I had. While it's still a bit stiff for my liking, at least the unit quickly responds appropriately when I press it.

After reading for a few hours on the Forma yesterday, I just have one word - WOW! For me, it's the perfect screen size. The page turn buttons are very responsive and quiet. Page turns are very quick and overall the unit seems very responsive to touches/page turns, with very little "lag". Additionally, it's incredibly comfortable to hold, much more so than the Oasis 3, IMHO. From an ergonomic perspective, I like the implementation of the page turn buttons much better on the Forma than the Oasis. The raised side just works. And it seems much lighter to hold than the Oasis (sans case/cover). I've been using my Aura ONE LE for the past few weeks and while doing so it quickly became my "go to" reader. But now the Forma is quickly becoming my new favorite. Well done Kobo!