Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Echo Dot Returning This Fall

Like Ahnold, Amazon's Echo Dot will be back

Quote:
The Dot sold out faster than anticipated, but should return in time for the holidays.
Quote:
A spokeswoman told CNET on Thursday that the company was "surprised" the Dot sold out so quickly.

"I expect Echo Dot will be a big hit this holiday season, but I'll have to ask you to stay tuned for more on availability," she continued.

So, yes, the Dot will be back -- we just don't know when.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Good to know. I kinda sorta still want one.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a $50 gift card waiting for its return
Old 08-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have two Echos and a Dot, and the Dot is my favorite. Besides, if you include the price of a medium quality set of speakers, it still comes in cheaper than an Echo.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Other than the price why do you prefer the Dot to the Echo?

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
I want one of these too. Would be great for using as an alarm clock etc.

Can it be used without attached speakers?
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:23 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
I would guess it is the ability to hook it up to real speakers for better quality - especially since many already have some kind of sound system superior to what the Echo provides. Or if you want to save money you can still build a system from scratch with a Dot, a cheap t-amp and a set of bookshelf speakers for the price of an Echo but with better sound.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:26 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
I want one of these too. Would be great for using as an alarm clock etc.

Can it be used without attached speakers?
Yes it can. It does have a speaker built in. Good enough to hear Alexa and hearing news and such. Room filling music? No, neither enough volume nor bass response. On the plus side you can hook up a pair of BT headphones for complete silence - no disturbing others in room - can't do that with Echo.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I would guess it is the ability to hook it up to real speakers for better quality - especially since many already have some kind of sound system superior to what the Echo provides. Or if you want to save money you can still build a system from scratch with a Dot, a cheap t-amp and a set of bookshelf speakers for the price of an Echo but with better sound.
Yes, what DuckieTigger said. I'm no audiophile, so for me it's mostly price, but I also recognize that if I wanted to I could attach a killer ($$) sound system to it.

It's just much more flexible to have the speakers located where they're acoustically most efficient and the microphone where it's most responsive.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes it can. It does have a speaker built in. Good enough to hear Alexa and hearing news and such. Room filling music? No, neither enough volume nor bass response. On the plus side you can hook up a pair of BT headphones for complete silence - no disturbing others in room - can't do that with Echo.
Thank you!

Very tempted. Might be a good gift from
Old 08-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thank you!

Very tempted. Might be a good gift from
I plan to use the Dot as a "clock radio" for my nightstand. I won't hook it up to external speakers. It'll be loud enough for music, audiobooks, OTR, and nature sounds. For bedtime, I'll set a sleep timer so it'll shut off automatically. Since I'm retired, I no longer need an alarm clock.

I used to be an audiophile with state-of-the-art stereo equipment. No longer. My Echo is now my sound system. Works great for me.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #12
cadele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I plan to use the Dot as a "clock radio" for my nightstand. I won't hook it up to external speakers. It'll be loud enough for music, audiobooks, OTR, and nature sounds. For bedtime, I'll set a sleep timer so it'll shut off automatically. Since I'm retired, I no longer need an alarm clock.

I used to be an audiophile with state-of-the-art stereo equipment. No longer. My Echo is now my sound system. Works great for me.
This would be perfect for me then, although I still need that alarm clock unfortunately. The automatic shut off is a brilliant idea!

I would really like the Dot for my audible books as well. I listen to them on my commute but they are still collecting faster than I can listen to them.

I don't need the volume to be loud - I have some early hearing loss, so I avoid anything too loud to preserve what I have left.

I hope they bring it back soon. I wonder if they are changing anything or if it is just a pause to go into full production and get up a stock level. (I know nothing about manufacturing!)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
This would be perfect for me then, although I still need that alarm clock unfortunately. The automatic shut off is a brilliant idea!

I would really like the Dot for my audible books as well. I listen to them on my commute but they are still collecting faster than I can listen to them.

I don't need the volume to be loud - I have some early hearing loss, so I avoid anything too loud to preserve what I have left.

I hope they bring it back soon. I wonder if they are changing anything or if it is just a pause to go into full production and get up a stock level. (I know nothing about manufacturing!)
You may want to consider the Tap. While it doesn't "listen" for your command (You must push a button to talk to it) it has acceptable speaker built in and is portable. Bluetooth would let you stream to it on your commute. Works as an alarm clock. I have one and the portability is great. Carry it from room to room and even outside in the yard.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The Dot is the one Amazon initially said could only be ordered through Alexa, yes? And the one Amazon said was limited and never coming back? So much for being truthful.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The Dot is the one Amazon initially said could only be ordered through Alexa, yes? And the one Amazon said was limited and never coming back? So much for being truthful.
Yep