Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Bruwulf
Bruwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet, Kindle 2
Moon+, version jump, missing search feature? Or am I the problem?

Long story short, my old Fire tablet running... I honestly don't know the version number, but a significantly older version of Moon+ reader died. Replaced the tablet with a shiny new Nexus 7. First purchase on day one was Moon+, because I loved the old version on my Fire.

The new version... Well. I'm one of those old grognards who hates most modern UI design, but whatever, I can live with that. The problem is that a feature I used to rely on is apparently MIA.

The feature in question is the ability to search my entire library for text strings. Like most dedicated hardware e-readers can do. So, if I remember reading something about... whatever, pigeons, or something. I could search for "pigeon nesting" and I get a list of all files that have that phrase in them.

But the new search feature just seems to search the titles/file names. Not the contents of the files. To do that, I have to go into the file itself. Which is unusable when we're talking about searching through hundreds of files.

Am I missing something? Was this feature removed for some reason? Or am I just doing something wrong?
Bruwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
Should be there. You might need to reconfigure your default buttons, but in any case the Search should be available in the More Operations menu.
iatheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Bruwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatheia View Post
Should be there. You might need to reconfigure your default buttons, but in any case the Search should be available in the More Operations menu.
Search is "there". It just doesn't do what I need it to do.

I can search a book I'm reading fine.

I can search my library for a book title fine.

What I cannot do is search my entire library for a string of text within all my books.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwulf View Post
Search is "there". It just doesn't do what I need it to do.

I can search a book I'm reading fine.

I can search my library for a book title fine.

What I cannot do is search my entire library for a string of text within all my books.
There's a search on the recent list screen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1453075225149.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	145626
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Bruwulf

Either I'm communicating poorly, or what I'm suffering from is loss of a feature absolutely nobody ever used, or else my version is uniquely broken and it's working for everyone else.

I get that "search" exists as a function. My problem is how it works now, or rather how it doesn't.

Example: If I have "Jurassic Park" in my library, currently I could search for "Jurassic" and it would come up, but not if I searched for, say, "Velociraptor", which was a species of dinosaur referenced numerous times in the book, nor would it come up if I searched for "Cray XM/P", an obscure technical term referenced a handful of times in the book. Because these terms are not in the file name or the book summary, which is all the current search tool seems to search for me. In the (I'm guessing much?) older version that I was using on my fire, it searched the entire text of every book in my library, and thus it would.

I guess I'm just going to have to try to find another reader program that does what I need.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I thought the search I pointed out did search inside the books. I just tried it and it doesn't. Sorry.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #7
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have Moon+ Reader Pro. Just looked through some of my books for keywords to try searching for. If I search with a particular book open, the search feature works flawlessly. However, if I'm browsing the folder in which the books are all stored and try searching from there, it yields no results - even for the same words.

Bruwulf - I have never used the search in the way you described in your original post, but can confirm it doesn't work on my copy either.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #8
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
For what it's worth FBReader (not the pro version) search works in the same way as Moon+ - no search hits unless you have a book open.

Last edited by leaston; 01-19-2016 at 07:48 AM.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote