Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #121
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I guess we are on stand by for that. The Paperwhite was due for an upgrade.

No news for now.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #122
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I, for one, am elated. I have always wanted a bigger screen on a kindle, but I have never fallen in love with the Oasis shape.

First, the metal. Cold, slippery.

Second, and more important - I tend to change hands when I read a lot. I did not realize how much until I got an Oasis. Switching hands is so distracting with it. I either end up holding it by the thin bazel and accidently turning pages, or I have to flip the device each time, which really breaks my immersion in reading. Those of you who like the asymmetric shape - how do you deal with "switching hands"?

I would like physical buttons, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

I am super-stoked by the adjustable color temp.

Also, my Oasis screen is not very uniform... it's not the current gen, but the one right before it (whatever that one is labelled). But on the button side, the light cones are very noticeable, in low brightness settings. If you turn brightness up (say, above 15), then the screen is VERY uniform. But not at low levels. In fact, the Oasis was definitely a step down in that sense compared to the Voyage I had before that. Anyhow... fingers cross that the new Paperwhite is more uniform.

I ordered the signature edition right away. Then I changed it to a non-signature so I can get it earlier (there was a month difference). I don't care for wireless charging and I don't think Amazon ever got light sensors right, so...

But there is one more thing. On the first day, the non-signature was described, as per the tech specs, as being lighter than the signature. That made sense to me, since it does not have a couple of features. Now, the numbers are all off. If you look at the weight in oz, the tech specs shows the non-signature as being lighter, but if you look at it in grams, it shows as heavier. And the numbers don't convert at all. So I don't trust the tech specs on Amazon... but does anyone have a perspective on relative weight?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2021, 10:57 PM   #123
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Those of you who like the asymmetric shape - how do you deal with "switching hands"?
I've never been able to switch hands unconsciously with any device, even my phone. Or a paper book. I usually change my whole position when switching hands. So in that sense the asymmetrical shape is no different for me than symmetrical. It's just more comfortable to hold.

I'm also not one of those people who constantly switch hands. I only switch when the hand holding the device starts to grow tired.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:03 AM   #124
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Quote:
Those of you who like the asymmetric shape - how do you deal with "switching hands"?
I LOVE being able to change hands and have the screen rotate.

With some of the covers I had on earlier models I couldn’t switch hands so I think the auto rotation on the Oasis is wonderful.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #125
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Second, and more important - I tend to change hands when I read a lot. I did not realize how much until I got an Oasis. Switching hands is so distracting with it. I either end up holding it by the thin bazel and accidently turning pages, or I have to flip the device each time, which really breaks my immersion in reading. Those of you who like the asymmetric shape - how do you deal with "switching hands"?
I prefer the Oasis for switching hands because I find the shape easier to hold one-handed due to the balance on one side if flipped. Since you can customize the order of the buttons, I just move it over and flip and it is easy, at least for me, so it hasn't created an issue. The hand holding the device has the button side facing the hand/fingers when I shift hands, so they are a large real estate of space to hold. I do switch hands, but not every five minutes or so, just when changing positions or if the hand grows tired. I find I mainly read with left hand with these devices.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2021, 05:36 AM   #126
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I prefer the Oasis for switching hands because I find the shape easier to hold one-handed due to the balance on one side if flipped.
Quite. These days I find it annoying that I can't do the same with paper books (actually I did it the other day and spent several seconds quite confused, what's happened to the print? oh DUH).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #127
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Quite. These days I find it annoying that I can't do the same with paper books (actually I did it the other day and spent several seconds quite confused, what's happened to the print? oh DUH).
So true. I love paper books still, especially paperbacks (hence the name!), but they can be an absolute pain to read one-handed, impossible depending on the size and if it's a larger book or hardcover. E-readers definitely have books beat in that regard.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote