Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a waterproof powerbank with a solar panel. Cost about €16. You could put two on a cover. Then even without sun charging you'd have months of reading time. About 4800 mAH each.
I don't understand the benefit in adding the extra weight to the device, instead of just plugging in to the powerbank when needed.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't understand the benefit in adding the extra weight to the device, instead of just plugging in to the powerbank when needed.
Nor do I seeing as the battery life is so long on eink vs LCD/OLED. Also I can use my Solar charged powerbank to run many gadgets, some of which have no internal battery and some use a coax type power plug (I have 3 sizes of USB A to coax power plug). Even a solar panel only cover is a bit pointless on eInk.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #33
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
I have a waterproof powerbank with a solar panel. Cost about €16. You could put two on a cover. Then even without sun charging you'd have months of reading time. About 4800 mAH each.
You don't need another battery..
Just the panels.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
You don't need another battery..
Just the panels.
Yes, except panels with regulated 5V out only exist retail with batteries. You'd want some small amount of electronics ideally connecting to the internal to ereader cell (3.7 V to 4.2V depending on charge).

But you don't even need built in panels and separate ones are easier to leave in the daylight on a windowsill.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #35
E'lir
Seeker of stories.
E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'd be satisfied with a new Forma with improved internals (Processing, memory, etc.) and a C connection.

Bluetooth would be a plus, but largely inconsequential to the reading experience.

Maybe improved contrast and pixel resolution to further enjoy manga and image heavy books.

Last edited by E'lir; 09-12-2021 at 11:16 PM.
E'lir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2021, 06:01 AM   #36
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Yes, except panels with regulated 5V out only exist retail with batteries.
No, you're wrong. They do exist, and I'm charging the phone that I'm using to type this, with one of them..
Old 09-13-2021, 06:33 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
No, you're wrong. They do exist, and I'm charging the phone that I'm using to type this, with one of them..
I said "retail", meaning the sort of local shops that sell solar charging power-banks. You can of course buy almost anything online, and I know how to make the electronics or adapt electronics to put between a naked solar panel (no electronics) and a rechargeable lithium cell or a USB socket. But it's pointless and most people won't want to open up the gadget. The electronics to generate 5V from a PV panel to the USB socket is wasteful. A separate solar power-bank (battery and USB A out) is far more useful.
I'd never be leaving my ereader anywhere a solar panel would work and a built in solar panel while you are reading is nearly unusable.

I have a folding 12V panel to charge a two way radio that has no battery in it and it could use a 12V to 5V adaptor (which I have), but it's pointless.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-13-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #38
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I want a phone sized ereader. Something similar to the one Xiaomi recently released.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #39
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I want a phone sized ereader. Something similar to the one Xiaomi recently released.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Yes. A new Kobo Mini with Comfort Light Pro and their current firmware.

Put my name on the list right now!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I said "retail", meaning the sort of local shops that sell solar charging power-banks.
Then what is https://www.jaycar.com.au/10w-solar-...able/p/MB3595? The site lists it as available in store at the two branches closest to me. And I was able to find several others through different stores here in Australia.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I'm not in Australia. I have bought from jaycar by mail order. It's certainly not local in Ireland.
Also that's not a simple Solar panel, I was writing about bare panels. It's got electronics and unless it reaches from the window sill to the ereader with a long USB cable it's useless. One with a cell inside is better. It's also about twice the price of ordinary solar power banks sold in ordinary retail shops here (not even electronics shops). The 4800 mAH cell doesn't add much weight.

Also you must have very bright sun or that must be HUGE to deliver 2A.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-13-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I'm not in Australia. I have bought from jaycar by mail order. It's certainly not local in Ireland.
I know you are not in Australia, and neither are the others (except @meeera of course). Nor are they in Ireland. But, you made a claim that is demonstrably not correct. Maybe not for you, but, definitely for some parts of the world. And as I said, it isn't the only place I found them in, just the first place I thought of. I don't think I have seen a solar charged power bank in any shop that I happened to have visited in the last year or so (it's about two years I think since I went to Jaycar). But it does appear that other stores stock similar panels. I could find them listed at hardware stores, camping and fishing stores. All of which are fairly common in Australia.
Quote:
Also that's not a simple Solar panel, I was writing about bare panels. It's got electronics and unless it reaches from the window sill to the ereader with a long USB cable it's useless.
Then why is it you said:

Quote:
Yes, except panels with regulated 5V out only exist retail with batteries.
Otherwise it means you were comparing a prebuild powerbank with solar panel in it to a bare solar panel that can't actually be used without a lot of work. That's pretty disingenuous of you. I don't think the others were talking about that.

Or did you construct the ereader you are charging with you magical powerbank from parts? If so, I might allow you thinking that anyone who wants a solar charger will build it themselves.

And I have a couple of good windows that I could put it charge a separate battery. The only problem would be the cats might get annoyed.
Quote:
One with a cell inside is better. It's also about twice the price of ordinary solar power banks sold in ordinary retail shops here (not even electronics shops). The 4800 mAH cell doesn't add much weight.
That was just the first place I thought of to look. I don't think I have seen a solar charged power bank in any shop. In my searches, I found these or similar panels in hardware stores, camping and fishing stores
Quote:
Also you must have very bright sun or that must be HUGE to deliver 2A.
The specs say 325mm by 252mm when open for charging. And yes, it would need a bright sun. But, the same goes for your powerbank. From the same site, https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-000mah-s...-bank/p/MB3790 is a 4000mAh powerbank with a solar panel. The specs say 31 hours to charge. Which means it would take several days of "very bright sun" to charge. Honestly, that would be almost useless. It would be much more useful to get the above panel plus two inexpensive powerbank. Then put the panel in a good window charge the powerbanks an cycle between them as needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #43
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Surely charging an eink reader is less demanding than charging a phone. Wouldn't it be possible for a solar panel to slowly recharge the unit using ambient light? There are emergency radios that do as much.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:59 AM   #44
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
The next kobo should have the elipsa's features and running well Android. Of course I'm dreaming

Last edited by Owl_; 09-14-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:04 AM   #45
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
The electronics to generate 5V from a PV panel to the USB socket is wasteful. A separate solar power-bank (battery and USB A out) is far more useful.
No, you are wrong again.
Charging a battery with a battery is much more wasteful. Also when the power bank's battery gets lower than a level, stops charging although not empty..
At the end, only a fraction of the panel's energy will go to your device..