Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-12-2021, 04:38 AM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone SE 2020
Q about submitting fixes to crengine

I've fixed a problem with the 12/24 hour clock setting on crengine, which required change to the crengine C++ code. Is my understanding correct that you have to submit the change all of the way back to the upstream on SourceForge?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:13 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Coolreader has migrated to GitHub (see https://github.com/buggins/coolreader) but you can also open a PR in https://github.com/koreader/crengine

The problem is just that we are or were at the top of the search results which led to some people thinking we were the coolreader.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Coolreader has migrated to GitHub (see https://github.com/buggins/coolreader) but you can also open a PR in https://github.com/koreader/crengine

The problem is just that we are or were at the top of the search results which led to some people thinking we were the coolreader.
Ah, thanks! You might want to update the about text on the koreader/crengine repo! That's what led me to SourceForge.

Quote:
Mirror of the official crengine (Cool Reader Engine) repository at sourceforge.net http://sourceforge.net/projects/crengine/
Old 02-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard

I'm a bit confused. The KOReader log says that it bumped the base crengine somewhat recently, but the code in the repo that you pointed me to is VERY different, and it seems that the 12hour clock option was removed. Given that the engine was bumped just a few days ago and the changes I'm seeing are much older than that, I must be looking in the wrong place.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Where *were* you looking, in both cases?

I mean, the clock formatting option for *CRe* was only added two weeks ago: https://github.com/koreader/crengine...11c151db03d95b, and I'm not sure it's even landed upstream yet, so it's currently only available in KOReader nightlies.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Where *were* you looking, in both cases?

I mean, the clock formatting option for *CRe* was only added two weeks ago: https://github.com/koreader/crengine...11c151db03d95b, and I'm not sure it's even landed upstream yet, so it's currently only available in KOReader nightlies.
Oh, that makes more sense. I assumed that the flow was:

[change]->[crengine]->bump->[koreader]

Are you saying that there's cross pollination in both directions?

That's the exact block of code that I was trying to change, but to make it more consistent w/ the formatting in KOReader:

Code:
               int const raw_hour = bt->tm_hour > 12 ? bt->tm_hour % 12 : bt->tm_hour;
               int const hour = raw_hour?raw_hour:12;
               sprintf(str, "%d:%02d %s", hour, bt->tm_min, raw_hour<12?"AM":"PM");
The check-in comment was going to be:

Code:
    Improved 12 hour clock display

The primary motivation of this improvement was to make the
            format more consistent with how 12 hour clocks are generally
            displayed, and consistent with how the other clocks are
            displayed when used within KOReader.

* Made the midnight to 01:00 hour display 12 instead of 0
               * Added an AM/PM indicator

Last edited by twowheels; 02-12-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We don't control CRe's upstream, we control *KOReader's* fork of CRe (what I linked to).

@poire-z often pulls upstream's CRe changes into our fork, and @virxkane often pulls our fork's changes into CRe's upstream .

So, when I say CRe, I usually mean our fork.
In which case, it needs to be bumped in koreader-base, and base needs to be bumped in koreader for it to show up in nigthlies.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
We don't control CRe, we control *KOReader's* fork of CRe (what I linked to).

@poire-z often pulls upstream's CRe changes into our fork, and @virxkane often pulls our fork's changes into CRe's upstream .

So, when I say crengine, I mean our repo.

In which case, it needs to be bumped in koreader-base, and base needs to be bumped in koreader for it to show up in nigthlies.
So, should I submit my MR to the KOReader base repo then rather than the upstream repo?
Old 02-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

As far as your exact change, I can pretty confidently say that it'd be rejected, because it's not translatable.

And we can't really switch to strftime, because Windows is terrible (c.f., #410).

(But, yes, our fork is where this should go to, especially since this probably hasn't landed upstream at all yet).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-12-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard

Good point on the l10n. I'll look into how that's handled, and if it's too much of a mess I'll just submit the 0 --> 12 part of the change as a smaller PR.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That said, you've got a couple of things going for you:

* We don't give much of a damn about 12 hour clocks
* We give even less of a damn about CRe's header
* The sane (e.g., strftime) approach requires compiled locales for the target language, and that's a non-starter on Kobo, because they don't compile *any* locales. So it'd effectively always show AM/PM anyways.
I don't recall how well Kindles handle non-English locales on that front.
* AFAIK, there aren't many languages that actually both prefer 12h clocks *and* have a localized variant, and I'm even less sure if we actually support any of those .