Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
From PRS-505 to PRS-600

As I reported in another thread, my PRS-505's screen is cracked. I'm considering buying a PRS-600, but I'm worried by the issue people seem to have with its clarity and contrast.
I'd like to have comments from people that used both of them, as I was told that the less satisfied by the 600 are the ones that previously owned the 505.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and I recommended to my mother that she get a 600 and she did. She enjoys it. So yes, go with a 600 unless you can afford a 900.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Definitively go with the 600.
My wife's using my old 505 as she's only reading novels. My focus was more on pdf-support and the 600 makes using files including charts, graphs, pictures almost a breeze. It could be little faster, the screen could be a little bigger (so I'm waiting for something around 9-10" with same pdf support like the 600), but the size of the reader is just perfect for on the go. So I pan around pdf pages.
There's some glare (like mentioned everywhere), but it's a no brainer.
Contrast is worse than the 505 but nonetheless, if your reading light (regular room lighting works ok and everything better than that) is ok, there's no problem. I found under LED the contrast looks almost (but only almost) like the 505. Incandescent light doesn't provide that much contrast for me, but it works. Well, what to say. If you can, go out and get your hands on a 600 and see if it fits your needs.

So my conclusion is: Yes, the 505's readability was better, but the 600 is not that far off as described in some threads and test reports.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

JSWolf, so you mean that the screen of the 600 is ok for you, used to a 505 ?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I went from a 505 to a 600. When I see them side by side, I do feel a bit of nostalgia for the screen clarity of the 505. But when I use it on its own (which is always), I have no problem with the screen of 600 at all. The glare/reflection is nothing a bit of good strong lighting won't fix.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I have a 505 and my boss just bought a 600. I had both side by side and I could notice the "glare" some people talk about. I like the screen of the 505 better, though I'm not saying that the 600 is bad. As for speed, I didn't notice any difference, I found the 600 as slow as the 505.
I had to recommend a reader to 2 workmates and I recommended the 505.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I went from a 505 to a 600. The 600 screen is less clear than the 505 but I do not have any trouble reading the screen. You will need to make sure that the 600 requires a little more overhead lighting than the 505.

I should mention that I have excellent vision and do not wear glasses or contacts. Screen clarity does not affect me as it may affect others.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
The 600 is definitely faster! Not the screen flash, that's exactly the same. What's faster is the response time from the press of the button to the start of the screen change. With the 505, I had time to read the last sentence or two from the time I pressed the next page button. When I got the prs-600 I had to go back a page again to read the words I missed
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I found the 600 as slow as the 505.
When it comes to page turning and menu navigation, I found the 600 to be much quicker than the 505.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Wordcrasher, if you can get to a Best Buy, they should have the 300 and the 600 on display. The 300 has a screen like the 505.

I own both the 505 and 600. At times I felt like I was reading off paper with the 505. I don't get the same feeling with the 600, although it comes close under good lighting.

So which do I use most often? The 600. The other features were enough to compensate. In dim lighting, the 505 is still tops.

If you do much with PDF's, the 600 is the way to go though. Speed, zooming, panning.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Wordcrasher
Addict

Thanks guys,
I felt reassured. I can accept a bit less clarity in exchange for all the new features.
Inline dictionary is a big bonus for me as lately I read more English than Italian books.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
OK, I am an idiot. Just realized you are in Italy...you probably don't have Best Buy electronic stores...enjoy the 600! It is a nice compromise for me between the clarity of the 300 and the relatively full-featured 900.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #13
Wordcrasher
Addict

No probs Ken401 :-D

Yep, we don't have BestBuy here.
And I never saw a Sony PRS in any electronic shop. I bought both my readers on eBay, the eBookwise from the USA and the 505 from UK.
I think I'll look there for a 600 now.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I had a 505 and went to a 600 and although there is a difference in contrast I do not feel it is at a disadvantage to the 505. Screen clarity is still excellent and I don't even notice the dfference unless I hold them side by side and compare. I love my 505 and I love my 600 but my 600 is my primary reader.

Good luck in your decision!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Wordcrasher - I have gone the other way I'm afraid. Started with a 505, upgraded to a 600, eBayed the 600 and returned to the 505. For me the features don't outweight the screen problems. I read in quite low light in bed.

It's very personal. You *have * to find a 600 to look at I'm afraid.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote