Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Mef613
Mef613 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nook Touch firmware - killed wifi?!

Hi, there. I just sideloaded the new 1.10 firmware onto my Nook Simple Touch. Now, it appears that I am no longer able to have the Nook connect to either Wifi WEP-protected hotspot that I use regularly. It tries and fails to connect, but is unsuccessful. Both networks worked fine before the upgrade.

Any ideas or similar experiences?
Mef613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
My wifi (also WEP-protected) seems to be working fine. Have you tried rebooting the device and/or wifi router (if possible)?
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My network is WPA2, not WEP, but it connects fine with v1.1.0.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Mef613

Hmm. Fascinating. I have rebooted routers and Nook. I *was* doing something in the settings of the Nook when it rebooted itself after I sideloaded the update. Maybe something got corrupted. I have even removed the networks and tried to re-add them - still no go.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
2JCgirls
2JCgirls began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I wasn't doing anything in the settings of the Nook when mine was installing and BOTH of mine ended up not being able to connect to WIFI after sideload. I'm going to hoof it into the store, but you and I are not the only ones, there was a post on the B/N forum about that happening to someone as well.
2JCgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Mef613

Oh, hell. Just spent 45 minutes on tech support check with BN. Finally they asked me to do a hard reset via a key combo. I did. Wiped it back to factory state. But I still can't get online, AND I now can't use the Nook until getting online. So now I have a Nook I can't use at all, until this is resolved - not even the books I have on my SD card. <Steam coming out of ears>
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mef613 View Post
Oh, hell. Just spent 45 minutes on tech support check with BN. Finally they asked me to do a hard reset via a key combo. I did. Wiped it back to factory state. But I still can't get online, AND I now can't use the Nook until getting online. So now I have a Nook I can't use at all, until this is resolved - not even the books I have on my SD card. <Steam coming out of ears>
One thing that sometimes works is to reset your wifi router.
I've seen something similar with other Android devices - that when there is an update, the wifi doesn't reconnect. Rebooting the wifi router is sometimes a solution that works.

You also might try a different wifi router (or in other words, different wifi?)
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Mef613

I have tried three different routers at different locations; I have turned off encryption altogether on one network to see if I can get the Nook to connect (turned back on afterwards when there was no difference.) I renamed a network in case there was some weird caching of settings. No go at all.

However, I was able to connect to the store network at B&N today and at least log in to authorize the Nook after a hard reset, so I can now get to my existing content again. Given that nothing whatsoever changed in my system configuration but the network connectivity started to fail immediately after the firmware upgrade, I think there's a bug that has bitten me. Sounds as if the store staff was more than willing to exchange my Nook for me, since it still has 9-1/2 months of warranty left. I may take them up on it.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
weidbrewer
weidbrewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Count me among those that is having no luck. Wife and I just upgraded our Nooks this weekend to the Simple Touch, firmware v1.1. Our old ones connected to the home network without trouble, but the new ones get to the "Acquiring IP address" point and then fail to connect.

I've tried the suggestions in the B&N forums of rebooting the router, forgetting the network-rebooting Nook-scanning for the hotspot again, and several combinations of rebooting the router/rebooting the Nook in different orders. Nothing.

If I turn the hotspot on on my phone, no problem. If I connect to my neighbor's unsecured network, no problem. My network? Nothing.
weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I had a similar problem deleting the wifi settings from nook then rebooting the router fixed it now although the signal strength is showing less than it was before
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
weidbrewer
weidbrewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Yeah, per my post above, I'd seen that in the forums, but it didn't work for me, unfortunately. From what I'm finding, this seems to be an issue with the firmware, so it's looking like we're going to have to wait for the next update, whenever that might be.
weidbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote