Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 05-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #16
olderTechnology
olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.olderTechnology ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just got my Likebook P78. Its intended use is to unify all my reading on e-ink, including closed systems like Logos and OliveTree, that I usually have to use my iPad for.

Since this is my first Android on e-ink, are there posts in the forums that give the lowdown on all the best settings and hacks to make the screen be nice? Also, Likebook's user guide is very sketchy, is there any list of hidden tips for Boyue's OS?
olderTechnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderTechnology View Post
I just got my Likebook P78. Its intended use is to unify all my reading on e-ink, including closed systems like Logos and OliveTree, that I usually have to use my iPad for.

Since this is my first Android on e-ink, are there posts in the forums that give the lowdown on all the best settings and hacks to make the screen be nice? Also, Likebook's user guide is very sketchy, is there any list of hidden tips for Boyue's OS?
It is important to know how to get started with the complete Android settings:
Settings, click in the upper field, and then Android Settings.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #18
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork
Hyperduel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Gen 1 + Gen 3, Fire 10 (2019), Likebook Alita + P78
Received my P78 today from HK to US via DHL. So far so good. Took me about 30 minutes to get everything setup with Google and have my apps installed. Loaded my MicroSD card with about 20 GB worth of manga and Tachiyomi loads them up like butter. Lower RAM than the Alita isn't a big deal if you are only going to use it to read apps from Kindle/Tachiyomi and the doom and gloom Wall Street Journal app.

Wi-Fi is still 2.4g only like the Alita, and download speeds for this chipset is still pretty mediocre. However, the 7.8 in screen is just the right size for heavy manga reading (the 10 inch Alita to me was just too big for manga) and great for traveling with it.

Don't care for note taking when I have my Alita for the few rare times that I need it. Very good for the price...better than the P10 for my needs since P10 doesn't support MicroSD cards.
Hyperduel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
Then the weight difference is even more pronounced.
We started off with even heavier readers with the Sony Reader PRS-500 and Amazon Kindle 1. I didn't read of anyone complaining that they were too heavy. So I don't get what the fuss is about weight.

The best way to reduce the weight, is to use a Mobius eInk screen with the plastic substrate.

Kindle 1 - 292g
Kindle DX - 536g
PRS-500 - 250g

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-25-2021 at 07:49 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #20
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
And remember how awesome the kindle 3 was with the built in light that pulled out of the corner of the case?

Times change
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best way to reduce the weight, is to use a Mobius eInk screen with the plastic substrate.
Mobius is not the best either.

You lose image quality, because if it has to remain light, then a plastic surface is also necessary, and such a surface does not have the transparency of glass and is also easier to scratch.
You need a cover, which in turn makes the device heavier.

Besides, it is not the glass module that is so heavy, but the stable base that is supposed to prevent the module from breaking under light pressure, and of course the battery.

None of my Mobius devices have the contrast and brilliance of my equally large "glass" devices.
But with large screens, it's easier to make them shatterproof.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-26-2021 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:30 AM   #22
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
What's the battery life like?
And is the screen evenly lit or is there a gradient?

Last edited by LucyOne; 05-26-2021 at 08:18 AM.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
What's the battery life like?
I do not test such things - sufficient for my needs.
Quote:
And is the screen evenly lit or is there a gradient?
I have not noticed any uneven illumination or color gradient
Old 06-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #24
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Got my P78 last night. It is a tad heavy, but also noticeably larger than the Pocketbook Touch 3 HD it is replacing. I will miss the book cover as wallpaper feature, but at least I can add custom wallpapers to it. Wallpaper images are stretched to fit the screen, so best results if you resize or crop to 1404x1872 beforehand.

Settings are all over the place, and somewhat obtuse. the user manual is next to useless. One can sync to Calibre (Linux), but transferring files from Dolphin does not work. Had to resort to a Windows interface. Haven't tried using thunar, but that is on my list.

Not sure about the built-in reader, yet. I can install Cool Reader, but not able to get Pocketbook through the extremely limited app store, nor, funny enough, from Play via the browser (because play doesn't recognize the reader, it seems). I might try sideloading the apk at some point.

I need a cover, though the selection seems to be two similar models... mayhaps I will have to build something myself, if I can find the time.

Anyhow, it's early days. I have 11Gb of books on right now, and waiting for a SD card and we will try audiobooks and BT.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard

You can use the Google Play Store via the P78.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:09 AM   #26
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
A recent app update from Boyue seems to have fixed the stock reader!
The problem I had with it before was the letter spacing was 'wrong', the spacing was not consistent. It appears normal now.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #27
lisemolina
lisemolina began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Likebook P78
[QUOTE=Dngrsone;4129748]Got my P78 last night. It is a tad heavy, but also noticeably larger than the Pocketbook Touch 3 HD it is replacing. I will miss the book cover as wallpaper feature, but at least I can add custom wallpapers to it. Wallpaper images are stretched to fit the screen, so best results if you resize or crop to 1404x1872 beforehand.

Hi, do you know where I can get the original Likebook wallpaper (images)? and where is the original Likebook p78 wallpaper stored?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagem menino lendo.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	188076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagem Likebook barco.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	188077  
lisemolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:32 PM   #28
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
[QUOTE=lisemolina;4136967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Got my P78 last night. It is a tad heavy, but also noticeably larger than the Pocketbook Touch 3 HD it is replacing. I will miss the book cover as wallpaper feature, but at least I can add custom wallpapers to it. Wallpaper images are stretched to fit the screen, so best results if you resize or crop to 1404x1872 beforehand.

Hi, do you know where I can get the original Likebook wallpaper (images)? and where is the original Likebook p78 wallpaper stored?

Should be here in /system as well as you need to put your own made ones in the sdcard/wallpaper folder for the settings app to see it to change it. You cant modify the stock location or files as it is a R/O not R/W. Here is how I modified mine for example to be more helpful as I already liked the stock pics enough. As well as the ones pulled from my Ares untouched.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-07 192026.png
Views:	198
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	188080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-07 191936.png
Views:	188
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	188081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210707-192141.png
Views:	207
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	188082  
Attached Files
File Type: rar Likebook.rar (512.9 KB, 187 views)
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #29
lisemolina
lisemolina began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Likebook P78
[QUOTE=rvcjew;4137013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisemolina View Post

Should be here in /system as well as you need to put your own made ones in the sdcard/wallpaper folder for the settings app to see it to change it. You cant modify the stock location or files as it is a R/O not R/W. Here is how I modified mine for example to be more helpful as I already liked the stock pics enough. As well as the ones pulled from my Ares untouched.
Thank you!!!
I still hope to get the boy's image.
lisemolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #30
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
[QUOTE=lisemolina;4137232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post

Thank you!!!
I still hope to get the boy's image.
From what I could tell it was just PR art and not in the firmware anywhere but if you find it please post it. I made this one from the Art I could find and it should look pretty clear on the device.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Likebook PR Art.png
Views:	201
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	188093  
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote