Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lightbulb Free (iTunes) David Cronenberg: Evolution [Canada SF/Horror Filmmaker Retrospective]

Well, it's time once again for the Toronto International Film Festival, and we have some very nice freebies to go with it.

David Cronenberg: Evolution is a commemorative e-book version of a publication that went with a special retrospective exhibition on the celebrated Canadian horror/science fiction film director's* (IMDB, Wikipedia) career last year, free courtesy of the Toronto International Film Festival itself.

This is really quite nifty, with short essay-ettes and video interviews with persons who've collaborated with Cronenberg, as well as some vintage video footage of the director himself (sporting really retro 70s hair).

It's a little on the short side compared to the other TIFF offering I'll be posting tonight, but you can find out interesting things like what author William S. Burroughs thought of Cronenberg's adaptation of Naked Lunch†, etc.

Currently free @ iTunes (seems to be available worldwide, I did a random check of countries like Sweden and it's free even there).

(ETA 2: This is a Made for iBooks title and will require a supporting iDevice/Mac to read it; see the product page for minimum requirement details.)

(ETA: TIFF moved the supporting sites linked in the e-book, but you can still see an archive of the original, and their bilingual virtual exhibition, via the new link here. There are longer essays and stuff like audio of Cronenberg talking about science fiction and philosophy writers that influenced him and such.)

Description
Divided into three sections that mirror the organization of the exhibition, the eBook offers a selection of behind-the-scenes images, props and film stills included in David Cronenberg: Evolution.

The eBook release precedes that of TIFF's two previously announced original publications, both designed by and co-published with the Torino-based art publisher Volumina: an image-based book to accompany David Cronenberg: Evolution, featuring lead essays by Piers Handling and Noah Cowan; and a complementary art-commissions publication devoted to David Cronenberg: Transformation, the original visual-art exhibition produced by TIFF in collaboration with the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (MOCCA).

Both publications will be available, separately or as a deluxe boxed set, at the TIFF Shop beginning November 1, 2013, to coincide with the opening of David Cronenberg: Evolution.

* Also an actor, surprisingly. My favourite Cronenberg ever⁑ is his appearance in Don McKellar's Last Night, which I consider to be the quintessential Canadian apocalyptic film for reasons that are covered at the end of this Roger Ebert review of it. But then I may be biased because I love it so much.

⁑ My second-favourite Cronenberg is the the admittedly flawed, but severely under-appreciated M. Butterfly, which also has the excellent John Lone in it.

† Which I really ought to dig out my Criterion copy of, and then afterwards make that Simpsons joke about neither portion of the title being accurate.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-07-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Removing grocer's apostrophe. And I'm not even a grocer. May be feeling grosser, though, after watching too many Cronenbergs.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biography, canada, film, permafreebie