Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kindle for iOS 3.8 released

Not a lot of changes. (See list at bottom of post.)

Most notably you can now highlight text across multiple pages, supposedly. I haven't verified if it works. This does work. While highlighting pause on the last word of the page to bring up the next page then drag to continue highlighting. It is about time they added this feature.

They list a line spacing change but I don't know what has changed as it looks the same to me. Still has same three pathetic choices.

BTW, when did they delete the margins option for the iPhone? Margins still have the three pathetic choices in the iPad but none on the iPhone.

EDIT: Official Amazon blurb:

Kindle for iOS 3.8 is now available in the Apple App store. New features include:
  • Line Spacing - loose, normal, and tight line spacing options change the page layout to suit your reading preference
  • Multipage Highlights - highlight long passages that span multiple pages for added convenience
  • Print Replica Textbooks notebook improvements - filter by type: notes, bookmarks, and highlights by color; Sync starred notes between devices
  • Accessibility Improvements - select a higher maximum font size, bug fixes
  • Bug Fixes/Stability Improvements

Last edited by jswinden; 06-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yay for line spacing. And for the better highlighting. Always HATED that on the Kindle Fire.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't really miss margin settings since they never let me make them small enough in the first place. It baffles me why most reading apps don't let you set them to zero or close to it, especially on small screens.

I'd like to see 'active table of contents' and of course one fine day, support for reflowable kf8. Formatting is so awful on Kindle for iOS.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
Hmm... it appears that this version no longer registers as a MOBI/AZW3/AZW4 handler.
I can't send MOBI/AZW files from GoodReader (which I use to manage my files) to the Kindle Reader on the iPad (by using the "Open In" feature).

Can anyone else confirm?
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
eh, I use Marvin.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
eh, I use Marvin.
what does that have to do with this thread. Marvin doesn't run on a Kindle device, nor does it read any Kindle content. This is an off topic comment designed to instigate confrontation. Keep your snide comments to yourself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Except that we are in the Apple thread and Marvin runs on the same device as the Kindle App. Most of what the Kindle app updates are doing, Marvin has done. And many people on this site have Kindle content that can be read on Marvin.

Glad that the Kindle App is being updated for the folks who use it. There are other options for the IPad that do more for people who would like to use them. Not everyone knows about some of the other choices. While I could have been more elaborate in my post, I would not say it was misplaced. Had it been in the Kindle thread I would agree that it is misplaced.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The title of this thread is Kindle for iOS 3.8 released which should restrict the content to Kindle for iOS. Anything else is off topic.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

ProfCrash, it is fine that you like Marvin, but this thread really is exclusively about the Kindle app. If you want to start a flame fest over "my reading app is better than your app" then please do so in another thread. Marvin is a good app but it lacks an iPhone version and it lacks syncing capabilities between devices. Also, I've never heard that it can read mobi or KF8 without converting them, so I seriously doubt that it can.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Except that we are in the Apple thread and Marvin runs on the same device as the Kindle App. Most of what the Kindle app updates are doing, Marvin has done. And many people on this site have Kindle content that can be read on Marvin.

Glad that the Kindle App is being updated for the folks who use it. There are other options for the IPad that do more for people who would like to use them. Not everyone knows about some of the other choices. While I could have been more elaborate in my post, I would not say it was misplaced. Had it been in the Kindle thread I would agree that it is misplaced.
And people can read all about those features in the Marvin discussion thread.

This is a thread about the latest Kindle app update. Proper forum etiquette would be to stay on topic.

To Caleb666: I can confirm that the Kindle app no longer registers with iOS its ability to handle mobi files. It looks like you have to email the mobi to the device's send-to-kindle email address instead.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Open in Kindle still works when downloading a Mobi file from DropBox.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #12
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Open in Kindle still works when downloading a Mobi file from DropBox.
Strange because it's definitely not working on either my iPhone or iPad.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
3.8.1 released today to address the issues found in 3.8
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
3.8.1 released today to address the issues found in 3.8
That was quick! Amazon usually doesn't release a fix so quickly. 3.8.0 must have been really buggy for them to address it that fast.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Still my favourite iPhone reading app. Glad to see that they implemented multi-page highlights (a long-standing source of frustration), but am disappointed that there is still no way to export those via email or copy/paste.

In my opinion, Kindle for iOS' killer feature continues to be its instant dictionary popup. It's so much nicer than any other app's implementation.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote