Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 AM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Another Lending Library--Beyond Reproach, but for the Disabled.

A person can download books, as well as borrow "talking books,"paper-based books, and a few movie DVD's from a state of North Carolina program.

I haven't done much research on this lending library, but with it being a state program, it should be beyond reproach (i.e., with no items being acquired in unethical and/or illegal ways).

One important thing that you need to know is that the library is for the "blind and physically handicapped." There are Braille books (but, if I'm not mistaken, many legally blind people can read standard printing, with the use of aids). I don't know what qualifies as being physically disabled.

The holdings are small, right now--they have only about 2,776 items. However, it seems that there must be some kind of initiative going on to drastically increase holdings, because in the last three months this library has added 2,300 items. Or, it may be a brand-new program just getting started.

If you are one who would qualify for a program like this, and are interested, let me know by PM; your personal information will be held in the strictest of confidence. I occasionally run into this kind of lending library on the web, and would be glad to pass along the information that I find.

https://webopac.klas.com/nc1aopac/

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-11-2018 at 01:28 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
These library programs would be great additions to the MobileRead Wiki page:
Quote:
EBook Lending Libraries
This page lists places where you can borrow modern and classic time-limited ebooks and audiobooks free of charge, or for a periodic fee. Be sure to check your local library's website too: if they have ebooks or audiobooks available, they may be your best source. You may also be interested in E-book stores, where you can purchase books and find some for free; and our page about Free eBooks.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Of course. I rarely explore other parts of the Site, and wasn"t aware of the place. I've started a thread or two recently about lending libraries, and put them here, in this subforum; those threads, too, should have gone in the wiki.

Thanks for your kind way of calling this to my attention.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
It looks like the North Carolina library is an affiliate of the Library of Congress' National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, which works through local affiliates in (all? most?) states. One of my relatives uses this service.

At least in my relative's state, helpful librarians assist them to find the type of audiobooks they like to listen to. There's a large print catalog of new audiobooks in the collection, which is published a few times a year.

I think there's some kind of a phone app for listening as well, but my relative uses a specialized player that takes digital cartridges. The library mails them the cartridges, and they have a post-paid return-addressed card to send them back. I don't know if the rules vary by state, but my relative usually has a bunch of these cartridges out at a time.

I don't know how hard it is to get approved for the service, but if you or someone you know would benefit, it seems well worth looking into.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote