Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2021, 01:25 AM   #1
RDavidson
RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD
USB OTG support on Clara HD — it works!

For several months now I've been working on a project that required keyboard input to my Clara HD, and up until now I was making it work by putting the Kobo into gadget ethernet mode, plugging the keyboard into a host computer (a Raspberry Pi), and transmitting data from the host to the Kobo over that ethernet connection. It worked, but it was kind of janky.

Then I ran across the XSoar people, who have set up Kobos as an onboard computer for gliders, using USB OTG. This gave me hope that I could get OTG working for my Clara HD.

The biggest hurdle is power; the Clara HD never supplies power via the USB port, and the keyboard does require power. However, there's a variant of OTG adapter that allows you to connect an external power supply. I ordered one such adapter from Amazon and it arrived today.

The next hurdle is that although the EHCI host controller appears in the dmesg logs, the devices I plugged in weren't actually being registered by the system.

It turns out that the devicetree configuration shipped by Kobo defaults to "gadget" mode and even an OTG adapter won't make it change its mind. But there's a way around that.

Code:
mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
echo host > /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role
Of course, once it's in host mode, you can't use the USB mass storage gadget (or any other USB gadget), so even if you tap Connect when Nickel reports a computer connection, nothing's going to happen. But that's fine, you can just go back to gadget mode.

Code:
echo gadget > /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role
I ran in quite a lot of circles trying to figure out why my nice mechanical keyboard wasn't being recognized, and then I finally figured it out; I'd put the keyboard into mac layout mode (Ctrl, Alt, Logo instead of Ctrl, Logo, Alt), and it likes to report itself as being an Apple keyboard, which Linux thinks deserves a special driver. And of course the Kobo kernel doesn't have that driver compiled in.

The solution is pretty simple:

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/module/hid/parameters/ignore_special_drivers
After which point I was able to grab keycodes from /dev/input/event2.

(Plugging in USB drives appears to work as well, though the only USB drive I have handy is formatted in exfat, which the Kobo kernel doesn't support.)
RDavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
RDavidson
RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.RDavidson can fool all of the people all of the time.

I can confirm that this adapter also works.
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 05:53 AM   #3
nicomon
nicomon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello RDavidson,

Thanks for this post.
I try to add your commands in XCsoar script but dont't work.
I create script and it is run by XCsoar but my USB device is not detected.

Do you have other commands to test what is wrong ?

XCsoar startup script : https://github.com/XCSoar/XCSoar/blob/v6.8.x/kobo/rcS

My device : https://www.lebipbip.com/xcsoar-for-kobo/

My init script :

Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "Start user script" > /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log

/bin/mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
echo host > /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role

echo 1 > /sys/module/hid/parameters/ignore_special_drivers

echo "---" >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
echo "- /sys/kernel/debug" >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
ls /sys/kernel/debug >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
echo "- /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/" >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
ls /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/ >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
echo "---" >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
echo "- /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role" >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
cat /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log

echo "Finish user script" >> /mnt/onboard/XCSoarData/kobo/init.log
Thanks a lot for your help.
nicomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:04 AM   #4
RDavidson

Well, I don't use XCSoar, so I can't really help with that. But I can tell you that the device shown in the photo you linked is not a Kobo Clara HD. Very possibly different Kobos have different kinds of support for this.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:54 AM   #5
maggan
maggan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I wonder if Kobo Nia could have support for USB OTG?
maggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #6
Szybet
Connoisseur
Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggan View Post
I wonder if Kobo Nia could have support for USB OTG?
It does not, im trying to work it out ;/
Szybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
Szybet
Connoisseur
Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo nia
UPDATE: yea it also needs power. further info:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345181
Szybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:14 AM   #8
fennectech
Connoisseur
fennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Clara E2, Kindle 4 Keyboard 3G
NickelMenu toggle and status for this!

I have put together a snippet for nickelmenu it stores the flag in /tmp as it resets to default on reboot and tmp is destroied on reboot

Code:
menu_item : main : USB OTG Status : cmd_output : 500 : quiet : test -e /tmp/otg_enabled
      chain_success : dbg_toast : USB OTG IS ENABLED
      chain_failure : dbg_toast : USB OTG IS DISABLED

menu_item : main : Toggle USB OTG : cmd_output : 500 : quiet : test -e /tmp/otg_enabled
      chain_success : skip : 5
      chain_always : cmd_spawn : quiet: touch /tmp/otg_enabled
      chain_always : cmd_spawn : quiet: mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
      chain_always : cmd_spawn : quiet: echo host > /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role
      chain_always : dbg_toast : USB OTG IS NOW ENABLED
      chain_always : skip : 3
      chain_always : cmd_spawn : quiet: rm /tmp/otg_enabled
      chain_always : cmd_spawn : quiet: echo gadget > /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role
      chain_always : dbg_toast : USB OTG IS NOW DISABLED
fennectech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:01 PM   #9
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Excellent!

This worked for me on my Clara HD, like with this Cablecc connector, but I got the "left" one, a FBA-U2-241-LE , which results in the connector body covering the Clara power button!

Basically, if you look at the microUSB connector slot on the Clara as shaped like a smile (curved at the bottom), the "left" connector plug has the body to the left, therefore covering the power button of the Clara, though you can kind of squeeze a fingernail underneath to press the button.

Anyway, I followed the instructions above in KOReader terminal, saw in "dmesg | grep sd" (or more correctly, "fdisk -l"), that /dev/sda1 was connected, did a "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/onboard/shared", and could access the USB key on my /mnt/onboard/shared folder! (Don't forget to "umount" your folder before removing, in case you are not familiar with linux.)

For USB keyboard support on the Clara HD, I did not find that KOReader currently supports it - maybe the recent devices with bluetooth will get it.

* Update - see note at end

In the meantime, with a little elbow grease you can still get USB keyboard support, for example in a chroot.

* This connector is also handy for plugging a USB keyboard into your phone, so you enter data in your phone, but can mirror the display on your Kobo using Einkvnc - no external power required, just WiFi.
HOWEVER...Consider the security implications of accessing a secure device (phone that you do banking/email on) from an insecure device i.e. ereader.

If you're more concerned with entering data on the Kobo than viewing the eink display, you can use a variation of this by telnetting or ssh'ing from the phone to the Kobo and entering data on the phone-connected USB keyboard, while using the Vi editor included on the Kobo.

***SECURITY REMINDER***
Telnet sessions are in cleartext INCLUDING LOGIN SESSIONS, so only use on a private network, if at all!
If you always have DEVMODE set to ON for whatever reasons , that means Telnet is on by default, unless you toggle it off , e.g. using NickelMenu.

You can install KOReader to get the more secure SSH option, and NiLuJe's kobostuff provides a package that includes an SSH binary.

You can start the KOReader SSH server via NickelMenu.

You can install a friendlier editor like nano from NiLuJe's tools or even installing a small alpine chroot without the added X for an easier first step.. If you go with the chroot, you may find a script like the one in section 6 of this comment helpful.

Nano editor and elinks browser are also available by crosscompiling or copying.

* You may say "Why can't you telnet into the Kobo from the Android and then run Einkvnc on the Kobo to make it mirror the editing that is happening on the Kobo?"
Well you can!

But set ForceWifiOn=true (if you haven't done so already) in your config file [DeveloperSettings] (in KOReader, navigate to .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, Open With Text editor) or else the dropouts may cause frustration.

I have found that none of my Android devices need to be internet-connected to set up as a hotspot so the Kobo can network with my tablet or keyboard-equipped Blackberry Priv with no internet!
*Note:The open source Droidvnc-NG vnc server requires minimum Android 7 so the Priv is a no-go, being locked at 6, although it can run ConnectBot, and closed source vnc server Alpha Vnc Lite.

And if you are using ConnectBot on Android for telnetting, I think the 1.9.6-oss version and earlier doesn't have the scrolling issue that the later version does.

You can install x11vnc on your xorg chroot, set password with "x11vnc -storepasswd", and run it with "x11vnc -zeroconf", to make sure multivnc android vnc client can discover it.
In fact I am typing this from a USB keyboard connected to an android tablet running multivnc mirroring the Kobo xorg screen.(not being particularly productive).

*** USB KEYBOARD NOW USABLE IN KOREADER AS OF OCP-KOReader-v2023.06 ! ***
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=941

You can also mirror your phone keyboard using the Linux script utility inside a chroot, and using Fbpad framebuffer terminal otherwise.

Last edited by elinkser; 08-05-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: no-internet networking, KOReader USB KB now usable,new mirror kb
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:05 PM   #10
fennectech
Connoisseur
fennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinkser View Post
Excellent!

This worked for me on my Clara HD, like with this Cablecc connector, but I got the "left" one, a FBA-U2-241-LE , which results in the connector body covering the Clara power button!

Basically, if you look at the microUSB connector slot on the Clara as shaped like a smile (curved at the bottom), the "left" connector plug has the body to the left, therefore covering the power button of the Clara, though you can kind of squeeze a fingernail underneath to press the button.

Anyway, I followed the instructions above in KOReader terminal, saw in "dmesg | grep sd" (or more correctly, "fdisk -l"), that /dev/sda1 was connected, did a "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/onboard/shared", and could access the USB key on my /mnt/onboard/shared folder! (Don't forget to "umount" your folder before removing, in case you are not familiar with linux.)

For USB keyboard support on the Clara HD, I did not find that KOReader currently supports it - maybe the recent devices with bluetooth will get it.

In the meantime, with a little elbow grease you can still get USB keyboard support, for example in a chroot.

* This connector is also handy for plugging a USB keyboard into your phone, so you enter data in your phone, but can mirror the display on your Kobo using Einkvnc - no external power required, just WiFi.
HOWEVER...Consider the security implications of accessing a secure device (phone that you do banking/email on) from an insecure device i.e. ereader.

If you're more concerned with entering data on the Kobo than viewing the eink display, you can use a variation of this by telnetting or ssh'ing from the phone to the Kobo and entering data on the phone-connected USB keyboard, while using the Vi editor included on the Kobo.
You can install a friendlier editor like nano from NiLuJe's tools or even installing a small alpine chroot without the added X for an easier first step.. If you go with the chroot, you may find a script like the one in section 6 of this comment helpful.

* You may say "Why can't you telnet into the Kobo from the Android and then run Einkvnc on the Kobo to make it mirror the editing that is happening on the Kobo?"
Well you can!

But set ForceWifiOn=true (if you haven't done so already) in your config file [DeveloperSettings] (in KOReader, navigate to .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, Open With Text editor) or else the dropouts may cause frustration.

I have found that none of my Android devices need to be internet-connected to set up as a hotspot so the Kobo can network with my tablet or keyboard-equipped Blackberry Priv with no internet!

And if you are using ConnectBot on Android for telnetting, I think the 1.9.6-oss version and earlier doesn't have the scrolling issue that the later version does.

You can install x11vnc on your xorg chroot, set password with "x11vnc -storepasswd", and run it with "x11vnc -zeroconf", to make sure multivnc android vnc client can discover it.
In fact I am typing this from a USB keyboard connected to an android tablet running multivnc mirroring the Kobo xorg screen.(not being particularly productive).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133383141622
This item will not cover the power button and is a bit more flexable with cable placement worked for me to get flash drives working on the kobo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292765104024
This USB hub lets you plug 3 things into your kobo (idk if it will work tho might not power the various items on the hub

Last edited by fennectech; 03-22-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:00 PM   #11
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I forgot to add this little disclaimer:

***SECURITY REMINDER***
Telnet sessions are in cleartext INCLUDING LOGIN SESSIONS, so only use on a private network, if at all!
If you always have DEVMODE set to ON for whatever reasons , that means Telnet is on by default, unless you toggle it off , e.g. using NickelMenu.

You can install KOReader to get the more secure SSH option, and NiLuJe's kobostuff provides a package that includes an SSH binary.

You can start the KOReader SSH server via NickelMenu.

*Note:The open source droidVNC-NG vnc server requires minimum Android 7 so the Priv is a no-go, being locked at 6, although it can run ConnectBot, and closed source vnc server Alpha Vnc Lite.

(In case anyone interpreted my comment as being they could run out and buy a Blackberry Priv and run droidVNC-NG vnc server and KOReader on it and pretend they are typing on their Kobo!)

As for the USB connection, I find the main issue is carrying around a power source. I found that accessing a USB storage key only needs a minilite sized power stick like you could procure at a dollar store (with consequent increase in appartment lithium fire probabilities), but the keyboard needs something heftier like my 6000mAH RavPower RP-WD02 that I just happened to have already.

If you throw in the (as far as I know) current lack of support for the keyboard outside of the chroot environment, then if you have not already bought your device and want to use a keyboard with the regular Kobo apps, it is simpler of course to get a device like described here (though I have not tried it since I have no bluetooth):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=352280

*** USB KEYBOARD NOW USABLE IN KOREADER AS OF OCP-KOReader-v2023.06 ! ***
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=941

You can also mirror your phone keyboard using the Linux script utility inside a chroot, and using Fbpad framebuffer terminal otherwise.

Last edited by elinkser; 08-04-2023 at 08:03 PM. Reason: KOReader USB KB now usable,new mirror phone kb
Old 05-08-2023, 10:21 PM   #12
fennectech
Connoisseur

has anyone tried the 2E? ive got mine but the dock i have refuses to initalize on the kobo so i cant test it https://www.ebay.com/itm/165917423631 ive found this but it needs testing! i dont know if it is even possible on mark 10 yet. it certainly doesnt power the devices on its own via the usb c port
Old 05-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I can vouch for it behaving just fine on Mk.7, Mk. 8 when using the right sunxi knobs, and Mk.9. All of the Mk. 7/9/10 devices should run on very similar (if not identical) SoCs, so I would imagine that, yes, this should work. Ideally as-is, but at worst with minimal modifications to poke the right sysfs knobs.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #14
elinkser
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennectech View Post
has anyone tried the 2E? ive got mine but the dock i have refuses to initalize on the kobo so i cant test it https://www.ebay.com/itm/165917423631 ive found this but it needs testing! i dont know if it is even possible on mark 10 yet. it certainly doesnt power the devices on its own via the usb c port

I thought the bluetooth you have on the 2E lets you use keyboard in Nickel, if that's what you're using the port for.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=352280
Old 05-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #15
fennectech
Connoisseur

i was using a flash drive for testing purposes. I ordered this adapter on temu and it delivered today it works perfectly and powers the flash drive and the kobo with the device plugged into a USB power brick
https://www.temu.com/goods.html?_bg_..._page_sn=10045

this delivered today and i was able to conirm that this method works on the kobo clara 2E Aditionaly my nickelmenu snippet works with no changes

Last edited by fennectech; 05-20-2023 at 06:53 PM.