Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Is this the only reader with warm light?

Following on from my thread in Which One Should I Buy, I was wondering if the Kobo Clara HD was the only ereader in which you can change the light temperature? Are there any others? I would purchase the Clara if it wasn't for the light bleed issues, but reading through the thread about that has changed my mind.

So are there alternatives? With warm light but without the bleed?

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
All of Kobos current line up has the ComfortLightPRO except for the Kobo Aura. Note the Kobo Aura ONE has it.

The Clara is the only one I’ve heard of having light bleed issues and I’m not sure but I think Kobo resolved that in later builds of the Clara.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that's worth knowing.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

BookCat, having just made the switch 2-3 weeks ago from a 2012/3 Kindle to a new, trouble-free Clara, I'm a BIG fan. It's a great reader, and I don't even use the comfort light feature much at all. Clearly the light bleed issue was a big problem initially, and I'm very glad that I bought mine now, because the number of "no problem with mine" responses does seem higher among those who've bought Claras more recently.

I do also liker being liberated from Amazon's "you've bought our reader, now buy our EVERYTHING ELSE" approach to the Kindle ecosystem. That said, if I was looking to buy a reader today, the PW would be very tempting. smaller and lighter than the older ones, I'd be very tempted by the relatively cheap 32GB option. In short, I seriously don't think you would be disappointed by either one, as a reader, but obviously if the comfort light is a must for you, then that clarafies your decision #sorrynotsorry
Old 10-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Following on from my thread in Which One Should I Buy, I was wondering if the Kobo Clara HD was the only ereader in which you can change the light temperature? Are there any others? I would purchase the Clara if it wasn't for the light bleed issues, but reading through the thread about that has changed my mind.
Hardware-wise the Tolino Shine 3 HD is identical to the Kobo Clara. Supposedly early reviews have indicated that it doesn't have the light bleed issue. But the Tolino's software is simpler (more sparse) then the Kobo's firmware.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J

I contacted Kobo customer support via chat to find out if the lighting issue had been dealt with. The guy I 'spoke' to didn't know what I was talking about, so I explained that it was a known issue and how someone from MobileRead had contacted them and received the response that they were working to resolve this (this is in one of the many threads covering the light bleed). He then acknowledged the problem. I asked to speak to his supervisor and was told no one was available - this was at about 7.45pm - so told him I'd contact them tomorrow.

Not the worst customer support, but not the best.

I'll take a look at the Tolino. This isn't a brand of heard of before and I know nothing about it. I'll be searching youtube for vids etc. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Generally CS won’t acknowledge issues like light bleeding where it only shows up on some devices. Remember the forum is going to be a bad sample since you generally don’t go looking for a site to say your device is working fine.

Not dismissing the bleed issues just pointing out that it’s maybe not as big an issue as would otherwise seem
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

rcentros: I just took a look at the Tolino website and took a peek at the Shine; then I saw a horrid box saying that this model isn't available in my country!

MGlitch: You're right that peeps are more likely to mention when things go wrong than when they go right, but when so many are mentioning the same fault, rather than different ones, I have to take that on board.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Not the worst customer support, but not the best.
As you're in the UK I'm not sure why you would ever need to deal with Kobo Customer Support. The ClaraHD has been selling at John Lewis, Argos and PCWorld. I got mine from John Lewis, who have a great returns policy (but it doesn't seem to be in stock right now). WHSmith also used to sell Kobos but I'm not sure whether they still do.

Once purchased, if you just need help in how to get the best out of it, IMHO you'll probably get better info from knowledgeable Kobo owners here at MobileRead than you will at Customer Support.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
rcentros: I just took a look at the Tolino website and took a peek at the Shine; then I saw a horrid box saying that this model isn't available in my country!
Playthek (Grooves) in Germany will ship Tolinos to the U.S. I'm guessing they would ship to England as well.

https://www.playthek.com/tolino-shin...326185f5138f4f

They carry the whole Tolino line, I think.

https://www.playthek.com/advanced_se...eywords=tolino
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Nook Glowlight 3 has the orange light
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As you're in the UK I'm not sure why you would ever need to deal with Kobo Customer Support. The ClaraHD has been selling at John Lewis, Argos and PCWorld. I got mine from John Lewis, who have a great returns policy (but it doesn't seem to be in stock right now). WHSmith also used to sell Kobos but I'm not sure whether they still do.

Once purchased, if you just need help in how to get the best out of it, IMHO you'll probably get better info from knowledgeable Kobo owners here at MobileRead than you will at Customer Support.
The area of B'ham in which I currently live is poorly served for those shops. There's a John Lewis in the city centre, but it's on the brink of going bankrupt. If WHSmith still sell them, there's a shop not too far from me. But the nearest PC World is in my old stomping ground of Selly Oak; I left there a few years ago to get away from the students!
I don't drive, so travel by taxi and (rarely) bus.

If I purchased the Clara online, good customer service would be necessary if I needed to return it because of bright spots.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Playthek (Grooves) in Germany will ship Tolinos to the U.S. I'm guessing they would ship to England as well.

https://www.playthek.com/tolino-shin...326185f5138f4f

They carry the whole Tolino line, I think.

https://www.playthek.com/advanced_se...eywords=tolino
It's weird that Tolinos themselves were saying that this device isn't for sale in the UK; I'm totally befuddled by the reason for this. Playthek seem to be charging a little more, but it's much cheaper than other options I'm considering, such as the PocketBook Touch HD.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The area of B'ham in which I currently live is poorly served for those shops. There's a John Lewis in the city centre, but it's on the brink of going bankrupt. If WHSmith still sell them, there's a shop not too far from me. But the nearest PC World is in my old stomping ground of Selly Oak; I left there a few years ago to get away from the students!

If I purchased the Clara online, good customer service would be necessary if I needed to return it because of bright spots.
This blurb is from the U.S. site:

Quote:
If you are dissatisfied with your eReader and/or accessory purchased through us.kobobooks.com for any reason, you have thirty (30) calendar days after the date of purchase to return the eReader to Kobo. You must return the goods in its original condition and provide a tracking number to us. All delivery charges required to return the eReader and/or accessory are at your expense. Upon receipt of the returned eReader and/or accessory, Kobo will refund the cost of the eReader and/or accessory to the credit card charged at the time of purchase, less any applicable restocking fees. Please contact Customer Care for returns (http://www.kobo.com/help).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:

you can buy online from johnlewis.com, and optionally buy their extended care package at the same time
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
options, warm light