Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
kindle 2 battery

Hi all

im just wondering does anyone know the lifespan of the kindle 2 battery?

i don't mean how long between charges, but how many times it can be charged before the battery stops holding a charge?

thanks

troykm
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't think anyone knows yet. It's only been about a year since the Kindle 2 came out. My Kindle 1's original battery still works fine, after a year and a half, and the K2 is supposed to be better.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
I think it's one or two days.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
Hi all

im just wondering does anyone know the lifespan of the kindle 2 battery?

i don't mean how long between charges, but how many times it can be charged before the battery stops holding a charge?

thanks

troykm
All Kindle 2s are less than one year old. My own is 10 months (one of the early ones). I've not read of any particular battery issues.

At this point it's too soon to say.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
All Kindle 2s are less than one year old. My own is 10 months (one of the early ones). I've not read of any particular battery issues.

At this point it's too soon to say.
thanks daffy4u, i realize that the kindle 2 is still a new product, as are the iphone 3g and yet apple have said the iphone 3g avg 400 charge/discharge cycles as a lifespan.

i was hoping amazon would have a similar statement on their battery.

not to worry
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I am currently on holiday in Mexico using the charge I applied in Toronto on Dec 19th. It's still showing about 40%. I'm not using wireless although 3G is available here (I have it on my Blackberry). The Kindle 2 is serving me well at the airport, on the plane, on the beach (!) and at the hotel. If the battery (and the device) gives me three years of service at this rate it will have been a great bargain. Happy Kindle camper here.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
troykm

You should get several years out of it, depeding upon how often you recharge. If you do have it past the end of the battery life it looks easy to replace. There is a teardown of the Kindle 2 here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42203

And I found a source for the battery here:

http://www.batterytrader.com/amazon-...e=URL_LANGUAGE

Hope that helps.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote