Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #331
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
From what i've read on the internet (which never lies, right?), the problem with Canada is the same kind of thing, contractual issues with a wireless provider. If that's true, they probably want to sort it out before sending the product in.[/QUOTE]

The coverage map that Amazon posted for Canada is Rogers GSM network. It is possible that they might be waiting for Telus / Bell's new network roll out. It will go live in November.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #332
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipromesisposi View Post
¿Podrías poner el link?
Muchas gracias.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...t/thankyou.gif
Aquí tienes (Here it's)

Cambio de diccionario

Por cierto, si te interesan los lectores, en español está Lectores electónicos
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #333
weg
weg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
And, of course, the selection for non-US customers is more limited than for American customers - I've spotted some books which are available for Americans but not for Germans.
Mein Kampf, for example? Just kidding.
The fact that less books are available outside the US is not exactly Amazon's fault, but a legal problem. I hope this will be resolved over time.

Still, with the 40% premium that Amazon charges for ebooks outside the US, I don't see why I should buy an ebook instead of the cheaper hardcopy (which, unlike an ebook, can be sold again after I've read it, and doesn't lose it's functionality if Amazon decides to drop the support for the Kindle in 10 years from now).
weg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #334
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I cannot, off the top of my head, think of a less capable PDF reader than the Kindle DX.
What about the Kindle 1 and Kindle 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No table of contents, no hyperlinks, no searching, no annotation, .... , no anything, really.

The new iRex DR800 seems like a much better bet if you're after a larger-screen device for reading PDFs.
Do you have a link or other details about the DR800's PDF capabilities?
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #335
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
I was glad to hear the latest news of the launch of Kindle International today. However when I look at the list of the countries that you ship Kindle to, I was flabbergasted that included countries like CONGO & RWANDA and yet missing out SINGAPORE!!

And we are actually listed together with SOMALIA, SUDAN, GAMBIA, etc. Amazon must seriously think that SINGAPORE is some third world countries that does not read English!! This is a terrible shame that SINGAPORE is left out in the list.....

Those who are from SINGAPORE should write to Amazon and ask them to check again the map and see where SINGAPORE is...

What is wrong of being listed together with some "third world" countries? Do you feel you worth more as a human being because you speak English? What kind of slave mindset is that?
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #336
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I suggest that those from Singapore talk to the censors in Singapore. We are not talking a free country. They are controlling everything.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #337
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I just joined the forum....I read a couple of pages of replies on this thread, but decided not to read all 23 pages<!> of replies! I ordered a Kindle 2 within hours of Amazon announcing the price drop and international version. I live in the US, but do travel internationally once or twice a year, and did give some thought to buying the international version. I decided not to, partly because I just don't see that much benefit for me in it (I don't plan to have a lot of subscriptions on my Kindle, and I hope I don't have international trips so dull I need to buy a lot of books on them!). But also because I learned that it used the ATT network, at least within the US. ATT's wireless network is certainly extensive, but it is having problems with being overloaded in some major US cities, apparently because of the insatiable demands of iPhone users for bandwidth! The news articles I've seen suggest that the major cities on the EAst and West coast are the main areas with problems....Sadly, these are also where I suspect the highest concentrations of international travelers who might buy an international Kindle live! In fairness, I don't think it will create an impossible problem, but it might lead to delays in downloading books or subscriptions.

Here's an article about the overloaded networks I spoke of:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14886...rs_during_ctia

There are plenty more if you do a little googling.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #338
barrow
barrow began at the beginning.

Device: Want: Kindle 2 / Cybook Gen3 / Sony Daily Reader
I have another question for those of you who have been participating in the dictionary discussion of this thread, or indeed if anyone else knows they can answer as well!

Can the lookup dictionary function be used on newspapers and blogs that one reads on the kindle 2, like it can be used on e-books, etc?
barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #339
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
I have another question for those of you who have been participating in the dictionary discussion of this thread, or indeed if anyone else knows they can answer as well!

Can the lookup dictionary function be used on newspapers and blogs that one reads on the kindle 2, like it can be used on e-books, etc?
Yes, it can.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #340
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Do you have a link or other details about the DR800's PDF capabilities?
Assuming the iRex DR800 is simply a smaller-screen version of the DR1000 (which I believe it basically is), its PDF display capabilities will be excellent. Full support for hyperlinks and table of contents, and a huge range of options for displaying them, eg automatic or manual removal of margins, page-by-page or "continuous scroll" display, and lots more. There is nothing that even approaches the iRex devices when it comes to PDF display.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #341
eco
eco began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by peajayar View Post
New Zealand is not included in the range of countries in which Kindle will be sold. Has the highest per capita of population who read/buy books. Go figure.
and New Zealand has both CDMA and GSM mobile networks, so even a US kindle would work here if they struck a deal with telecom to use their CDMA network.

I don't think its the wireless access which is the hold up (some of the countries which are getting the kindle don't have whispernet available), its all about rights.

Look at how much books cost in NZ. At least double, sometimes triple the cost of the US, and with Whicoulls having a near monopoly of sales. I'm sure the right's holders just don't want all those book loving Kiwis having access to cheaper books.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #342
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
actual kindle prices in different countries

managed to compile a list of international kindle actual price in various countries.
It includes 28 countries -
their actual kindle cost with import duties and shipping.

thought it might be helpful to people who are considering a kindle.
if you have information on another country or can confirm one of the countries please do contribute.
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #343
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReaderReview View Post
managed to compile a list of international kindle actual price in various countries.

thought it might be helpful to people who are considering a kindle.
if you have information on another country or can confirm one of the countries please do contribute.
That's quite a job - and interesting.

Nitpick: 279(price) + 21(shipping) +75(fees for DK) = 375 and not 376
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #344
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReaderReview View Post
The Kindle with cover is £7 in the UK is more than you indicate because it just goes above the import tax threshhold... (Kindle without cover dosn't!).
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #345
iReaderReview
Banned
iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.iReaderReview knows who John Galt is.

Device: kindle 2
do you know how much it is?

Dawn Falcon, do you know how much it is?

when i add kindle international and the leather cover Amazon shows that total amount. Will the UK customs people ask for more?

How much?

thanks for the update.
iReaderReview is offline   Reply With Quote