Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
desucca
desucca began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
What "new" SCI-FI would you recommend?

hey all,

my name's Gary, I'm new to these parts, but thought I'd start a new thread as I'm loving my newly purchased 505 (first ebook reader) and I'm looking for new authors.

I'm wondering what authors/titles you might recommend that have been released in the last, say.. 5-6 years? I love classics, but I'm looking for something new!

thanks for any input
desucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
2 of my favorite Current Authors are

John Scalzi
and
Joe haldeman (has classics, but is still writing)

4 books that stand out
Old Mans War (first part in a series if you want to read more) (3 of the 4 were runners up in the hugo)
The Androids Dream
Both of those by Scalzi

Camouflage and Marsbound are two books I loved by joe haldeman

and if you havent already looked, look at the award winning authors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award_for_Best_Novel

Vernor Vinge is great.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I agree with Andybaby as far as where to get started, Hugo's winners and nominees are a good list.

One comment - don't be afraid to go back as old as you want if it sounds interesting - it "is" sci/fi and most of it doesn't get "dated/old" like general fiction and mysteries and such. I'd say you're really safe from 1966 forward and there are plenty non-dated books before that. In my opinion there isn't any real category called "classics" in sci/fi such as is in other genres (even including fantasy which seems to ride waves of topicality and change style somewhat). No sci/fi classics in a sense of a different writing (or musical) style, only in a sense of "much accoladed and loved".

The nominees and winners are for the most part - just one giant lump of goodness and those from 1966 could have been written last week. We'll all have our own thoughts about which stand out but everyone is different and has their own preferences. Just jump in anywhere. And I'd have to agree again with Andybaby, Old Man's War is probably the best one written since 2000's Deepness in the Sky. If you want better, think you'll have to go back further than 2000.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-05-2009 at 06:01 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
If you like you're SF hard and fast,try anything by Neal Asher
Robert Reed is another one worth looking at.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
You might consider '1632' by Eric Flint. And it's free on Baen Books
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
SF covers such a gambit these days that it is really hard to say. There is Hard SF -- technology and physics, Soft SF - blurring with fantasy and magic, Alternate history - What If (e.g. the vikings had colonized America)....

Also why focus on "new" why not some of the classics?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I suggest you go to Google, click on the drop down box at the top and select "Groups". Type in "rec.arts.sf.written", go to that newsgroup, and search inside the group for "recently read", "book log", "reading log" and such like. You'll get plenty of opinions and suggestions. Some may even be useful.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
SF covers such a gambit these days that it is really hard to say. There is Hard SF -- technology and physics, Soft SF - blurring with fantasy and magic, Alternate history - What If (e.g. the vikings had colonized America)....

Also why focus on "new" why not some of the classics?
Good advice. SF also covers a wide gamut, not just one gambit.

Pedantically,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I suggest you go to Google, click on the drop down box at the top and select "Groups". Type in "rec.arts.sf.written", go to that newsgroup, and search inside the group for "recently read", "book log", "reading log" and such like. You'll get plenty of opinions and suggestions. Some may even be useful.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

Oh wow, I've not been there for years and years (i.e. since before the web!!)

I'll have to check it out. Is it still active? Apparently.

Oh and thanks for the correction gambit/gamut -- my 505 doesn't have a dictionary.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Someone mentioned Baen, but if you are new to this you might not know how to reach it. Go to http://www.baen.com/library/. There are over 100 modern books for free in any format that you need for your book reader. If you find an article you like, you will find that additional books are the among the most reasonably priced on the net.

Top authors include Flint, Weber, and Drake.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Also check those links
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22284

and of course
www.craphound.com
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
desucca
desucca began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I love it! thanks for all the suggestions all. I wasn't implying that I'm new to sci/fi, just looking for some newer authors/stories although I must admit there's probably a *lot* of good stuff older than 5-6 years I've never even heard about which is clear from some of your recommendations.. keep them coming if you will, I plan to be reading for an awful long time
desucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
kennyc

This looks like a pretty good "all time" list:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Time-Top-S.../1KBYJ9G4NE7Z2

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...oks_rank1.html

check the home page above for more lists... next 100, short stories, etc.

http://bookstove.com/science-fiction...s-of-all-time/

http://bookstove.com/science-fiction...s-of-all-time/

an interesting article on "Free" SF

http://jameswharris.wordpress.com/20...ience-fiction/
Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
kennyc

....sorry....double post.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
You may enjoy:

Cory Doctorow (free on-line!)
Charles Stross
Joe Haldeman (The Accidental Time Machine)
John Scalzi (Old Man's War)
Neil Gaiman (I liked Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett)
Darrell Bain (multiformat at Fictionwise)
Mike Resnick (multiformat at Fictionwise; I liked the novella Redchapel)
Ed Howdershelt (multiformat at Fictionwise)

I am not a huge sci-fi reader, but those are some recent authors I have enjoyed.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote