Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Steve Jobs crotchety over unauthorized biography

It seems besides producing iPods, Apple has nothing better to do than going against book publishers. According to Associated Press, Apple removed dozens of John Wiley & Sons books last week from all 104 of its stores after failing to persuade the publisher not to release the unauthorized Steve Jobs biography iCon Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business. It should be obvious even to Apple fanatics that this is not a way of making new friends:

"Pulling books off the shelf is a little draconian," said Rob Frankel, a brand consultant. "It reeks of repression."

We are confident that at least the book's author, Jeffrey Young, won't be too upset for this kind of unanticipated publicity.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I have to say I can understand Apple's reasoning..... First, there's the fact Apple/Jobs asked them to not publish it, but they went ahead and did (which is perfectly legal). Second, that title is a bit... Unsure, to say the least. iCon... Could be Icon, or could be I Con. If you look at that in the "standard" Apple i* way, it would be Con. Like iLife is more meant as Life, as opposed to Ilife...

And Apple is perfectly within their rights to take any publisher's products off their shelves.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2005, 05:18 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yes they have the rights to remove the books, but is it right? Apple owns their retail stores and can sell whatever they want. Agreed. But instead of retaliating against its self-proclaimed foes, shouldn't Apple instead put its focus on improving the Mac's computer market share (which is down to 3% from previously 10%)?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:24 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Mac's computer market share (which is down to 3% from previously 10%)?
No wonder, considering how Steve is trying to rip off his fans:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000020041567/
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Counter-intuitive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
...shouldn't Apple instead put its focus on improving the Mac's computer market share (which is down to 3% from previously 10%)?
Doesn't it make sense to remove books that slam the head of Apple from within the Apple Stores? If there was a "Microsoft" store, would you buy anything from there if they had a book slamming Bill Gates?

Uber-geeks, like many of us, know that the book exists other places (and we read various forums and RSS feeds for more info.) but many of the people I see in the Apple Stores who have the money to buy Apple products (luckily, the Apple Stores are situated in a close proximity) are middle-aged, un-techy consumers who want something that works (the pinnacle of public opinion of un-workiness is Windows.)

I'm a Mac kinda guy, and I think that it's part of the movement towards gaining market share to accentuate positive spin and negate negative spin. (Is that a double-negative?)
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
The displays are overpriced. Most people who use Macs either use the laptops (which I can say, in my opinion, are worth the somewhat-more-than-an-x86 price), or just use another manufacturer's display, like those Dell ones. Personally I hook up an NEC 15" LCD to my PowerBook as a second screen on a regular basis. It's a few years old now (2001 or 2002 I think?), but it works pretty well still.

And I still have a 10 year old monitor from the first desktop my family ever owned (486/66!) as the display for my old, slow, mini-server/Linux box (my beloved PII at 417 Mhz).

But I'm getting offtopic... While Apple may gouge you on some things, other things are rather reasonably priced. The mini, OSX (when compared to Windows), and the iBooks are all rather reasonable. The iMacs aren't too bad either.

Sure, they cost more than a low-end Dell PC, but you pay for quality... Dell's not quality on their PCs... (Bad experiences with Dell laptops... Very bad experiences...)
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:50 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
NYT wrote an article about the book banning.

In a lengthy telephone interview, Mr. Young [the author of iCon], 53, spent much of the time excoriating Mr. Jobs.

"This guy is out of control," Mr. Young said. "I'm just a little guy. I'm just one of many guys Steve has destroyed over the years.

"I think he's lost it. He faced mortality, and he knows without some massive change Bill Gates will be remembered as the important person in the computer business, and I think he's lost it over that.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote