Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
jennie.kom
jennie.kom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Customer Service - Kindle/Amazon vs. Sony

Hi there,

I am looking to purchase an ereader (currently, I use Stanza on my iPhone). I have done my research and I have narrowed my two choices down to the Sony PRS-T1 Touch or the Kindle Touch. I do not buy ebooks online, I always convert (if necessary) & sideload using Calibre. So, none of the file format, or ebook store availability are issues for me. I have played with both of these devices in the store, and I was impressed with the Sony the most, but the Kindle was good as well.

The one good thing about the Kindle that I have heard about is the Customer Service. My co-worker is now on her 3rd free replacement of her Kindle 2 (all from screen issues) Each time Amazon sent out a replacement for free.

Realistically, is this service normal? And how is the Sony Customer Service? If I have screen issues, is it likely that I will get help from Sony?

Since I find both of these readers to be comparable... if the CS is far more superior with Kindle then that would probably be my deciding factor.

Can anyone comment on the customer service between the 2?? Experiences? Opinions?

Oh and I'm in Canada, if that makes any difference!

Thanks in advance!
Jennie
jennie.kom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon's customer service is second to none. I doubt Sony would even come close.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon is generally considered the best for CS, but I do have to say the two times in the past I had to contact Sony CS (US) I was very satisfied with the results. As for screen issues Amazon has been known to replace Kindles where users broke the screens and I don't think Sony is as likely to do that.

I know they're not on your list, but stay far away from Kobo if you're looking for decent CS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Cannot compare as I have only dealt w/Sony direct. But they have been outstanding, especially w/one tech problem. Solved it right over the phone in about 20 minutes or so. Haven't had to call them but the one time. Wonder if that speaks for quality of the T1? ;-)
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
As someone who has dealt with Amazon Customer Service several times, I can echo the sentiments of susan_cassidy above: Amazon's customer service is second to none. To give but one example; when I told them my Kindle broke after falling from a desk onto a linoleum covered concrete floor, they told me that was considered normal usage and sent me a replacement free of charge within 24 hours. You can't beat that!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I have both of the e-readers you are considering but have never dealt with Amazon customer service. I have, unfortunately, had to deal with Sony's and it was a royal pain in the *** and it made me want to never buy a Sony product again. It's a real shame because I really like the T1, but these people (and that's more than one) were just useless.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
From what I have head Amazon CS is the best. Never had to deal with them though. I did have to deal with Sony CS when the T1 first came out & I have to say they treated me quite well & replaced my T1 quickly & with no problems.

As for broken screens etc Amazon seems to be willing to replace those readers. I guess they can afford to. Sony doesn't replace them as far as I know.

On the whole I have had no problems with my e-readers over the years so CS has not been an issue for me.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I live in Canada, though we have a US Amazon account. We have 2 current K3's and a Fire. Kindle C/S has been absolutely the best possible. When my wife's K3 WiFi had a broken screen last month, I called and within 48 hours we had a new one. Even though the Kindle was out of warranty (by >6 months). Yes, they asked us to pay for a new one. 1/2 price! And oh, we're up in Canada right now. No problem, we'll ship it there overnight. (I laughed and told her we have a saying here: "If it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight, don't send it here." I was right, it ended up being 48 hours.) "Please put the old one in the box we ship the new one in, attach the label, and call UPS for pickup." Sorry, there is no such thing as UPS pickup here. Nor FedEx. (both deliver, but no pickup or dropoff points here.) No problem, mail it back and give us the tracking number, and we'll credit your account for the shipping costs.

Honestly, they couldn't have done better short of Jeff Bozos hand delivering the new one. And this on an out-of-warranty device that didn't die a natural death, but had a clearly cracked screen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I am an Amazon customer for more than 10 years. Kindle user and fan as well.

My experience with Amazon customer service has been excellent. Products were returned and money reimbursed with few or no questions. Their moto is keep their customers happy and so far I think has worked. I would recommend Amazon to anyone, including their Kindle products.

However, the beauty of the Amazon Kindle is its online bookstore and sync capabilities. So, if you are not planning to buy books from there and money is not a reason, you may get a Sony e-reader.

Both are great though but firmware upgrades (which is important as well) are extremely frequent on Kindles.

If customer service and software support is critical for you, including low price, go Amazon. Otherwise, you should be ok with the Sony as well.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-23-2012 at 02:05 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I have products from both (a Sony T1 and Kindle Fire). I have had great customer service from both. I would just get the e-reader that best suits you.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
My (first) 650 'died' after about 18 months. Nice. I buy cheap now. Forget quality and longevity. There is no such thing with e-readers.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
jennie.kom
jennie.kom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks everyone for your input! I think at this point, i'm looking at the Sony T1 and the Kindle Touch as equal (for me), except for the CS aspect, and from what I've read here and elsewhere, Amazon/Kindle beats Sony is CS handsdown... so I'm going for a Kindle!

Thanks!
Jennie
jennie.kom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I have products from both (a Sony T1 and Kindle Fire). I have had great customer service from both. I would just get the e-reader that best suits you.
I agree.
I have dealt with Amazon customer service and it was very good once past the initial ineptness. They kept promising me a new kindle but not actually submitting the order. when they did manage to submit it took only 24 hours to arrive.

I have 3 Sony ereaders and have owned various other Sony products. Never had the experience of dealing with their customer service. So far they have just kept on working.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie.kom View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! I think at this point, i'm looking at the Sony T1 and the Kindle Touch as equal (for me), except for the CS aspect, and from what I've read here and elsewhere, Amazon/Kindle beats Sony is CS handsdown... so I'm going for a Kindle!

Thanks!
Jennie

You won't be disappointed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote