Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Cybook questions

I was looking at the Bookeen web site and have a few questions for those of you who will soon have a Cybook in hand.

Fonts - If reading an HTML file that specifies the font in a stylesheet, does the Cybook display that font (assuming the font is installed on the Cybook) or does the device override it and display its own font? Can you switch between the document specified font and a user specified font at will?

Hyperlinks - How is selecting a hyperlink done and how about jumping back to where you were? Specifically, how cumbersome is this, given the few buttons on the device?

Dictionary - It is stated that only Mobipocket dictionaries are supported. Can you use the dictionary to lookup words in any supported ebook format, not just Mobipocket?

Bookmarks - Are they supported in all ebook formats?

The last few questions are aimed at those "in the know" about the Cybook.

HTML - What HTML specification does the Cybook support - HTML 4, XHTML 1.0 Transitional, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1, or some other subset? I see that tables are not supported, but saying that is still too broad a statement about HTML support.

CSS - What about CSS support, if any? CSS 1.0 or CSS 2.0, or some subset?

epub - Will epub support be added to a later firmware? I would very much like to see this added.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
I was looking at the Bookeen web site and have a few questions for those of you who will soon have a Cybook in hand.
Fire away!

Quote:
Fonts - If reading an HTML file that specifies the font in a stylesheet, does the Cybook display that font (assuming the font is installed on the Cybook) or does the device override it and display its own font? Can you switch between the document specified font and a user specified font at will?
Nope. From what I've been able to tell, in HTML, the Cybook interposes it's own font - although that is one of (on *MY* sample Cybook) seven. And you can add other fonts directly to the Cybook via USB download.

Quote:
Hyperlinks - How is selecting a hyperlink done and how about jumping back to where you were? Specifically, how cumbersome is this, given the few buttons on the device?
Doesn't have that capability at this time. At least, not in version 0.99 of the firmware - as I *don't* have whatever version they're gonna supply with the production release models, I can't positively state this feature has been implemented or how it will work.

Quote:
Dictionary - It is stated that only Mobipocket dictionaries are supported. Can you use the dictionary to lookup words in any supported ebook format, not just Mobipocket?
Haven't tried it. However the 'Lookup' menu pops up in TXT, HTM/HTML and PDB ebooks as well as the Mobi ebooks so, if I had a Mobi dictionary, I suspect it *might* work. I figure this is a *reader's* ebook reader, not one designed specifically for researchers and hard-core students. After all, there's no way to add annotations in an ebook, or highlight passages...

Quote:
Bookmarks - Are they supported in all ebook formats?
Bookmarks??? What are these 'Bookmarks' of which you speak???

Sorry, no, there is *NO* bookmarking feature in version 0.99 of the firmware, although this feature *may* be added.

Quote:
The last few questions are aimed at those "in the know" about the Cybook.

HTML - What HTML specification does the Cybook support - HTML 4, XHTML 1.0 Transitional, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1, or some other subset? I see that tables are not supported, but saying that is still too broad a statement about HTML support.

CSS - What about CSS support, if any? CSS 1.0 or CSS 2.0, or some subset?

epub - Will epub support be added to a later firmware? I would very much like to see this added.
Right now, with version 0.99 firmware, you'd be better off thinking HTML 3.xx. And make it *SIMPLE* - no multiple-HTML-file ebooks, no jumping to another file through hyperlinks.

I believe HTML 4/CSS/XHTML support is destined to be added, and I would *HOPE* the same is true for .EPUB.

Derek - proud owner of an 'engineering sample' Cybook Gen3
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
A lot seem to have changed in the version 1.0 software

Check this link

http://www.bookeen.com/specs/ebook-software.aspx
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Haven't tried it. However the 'Lookup' menu pops up in TXT, HTM/HTML and PDB ebooks as well as the Mobi ebooks so, if I had a Mobi dictionary, I suspect it *might* work. I figure this is a *reader's* ebook reader, not one designed specifically for researchers and hard-core students. After all, there's no way to add annotations in an ebook, or highlight passages...
Will any Moby dictonary work? For example will CONCISE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY work? A dictionary is very useful when you are reading text in another language then your native language. There is always some words that you usually guess the meaning of and I really like to be able to check some words easily.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post

Check this link

Saw the features listed at the link. Am jealous! Paid much *MORE* than 'Deluxe' version price for my engineering sample and still don't have those features. Nor the leather case.

Derek
Advert
Old 10-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Will any Moby dictonary work? For example will CONCISE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY work? A dictionary is very useful when you are reading text in another language then your native language. There is always some words that you usually guess the meaning of and I really like to be able to check some words easily.
As I *SAID*, *I* don't know. I've yet to try the Mobi dictionaries out. But then, I'm a barbarian American who *can* piddle my way through Spanish and German - but I don't usually do so, and I don't read texts in other languages (other than programming languages) unless forced to at gunpoint.

Derek
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Paid much *MORE* than 'Deluxe' version price for my engineering sample and still don't have those features. Nor the leather case.
Derek
You should be able to upgrade the software. I am an early adaptor with the Cybook. But you got it a month in advance. How is that called? Pre early?
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
first, congratulations. can't wait to buy it.
when you add a font, are you adding it to cybook memory or to your memory card?

Can the ttf files you find on your desktop simply be loaded onto your cybook?

How many faults are preinstalled? how many fonts could you conceivably install on the cybook?

are there any latency issues when you download and use a custom font.

Should I assume that readers will be downloading fonts? Will this be easy to do? Can websites package/distribute certain font collections?
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post

Check this link

Yes, that was what I was basing my questions on. I know that the pre-release firmware didn't have some of those features. Hopefully, Derek will get the 1.0 firmware soon. With all the folks who have placed an order, there should be lots of others who can add their two cents soon.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
I believe HTML 4/CSS/XHTML support is destined to be added, and I would *HOPE* the same is true for .EPUB.

Derek - proud owner of an 'engineering sample' Cybook Gen3
I do hope that they add XHTML 1.1 and CSS2.0 support. Of course, by doing this, they would be most of the way to supporting epub as well (I hope). Two birds with one firmware?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #11
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

The publicity, and list of features suggests that the CyBook ebook reader software (the pdf reader may be something different) is a rebadged version of Mobipocket Reader. Is that correct or have they developed their own reader?
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
Robert1325
Enthusiast
Robert1325 began at the beginning.

Device: Paper, Cybook g3
it's mobipocket
Robert1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #13
solodoc
Connoisseur
solodoc began at the beginning.

Device: CybookG3...
Hi there

Just wondering I've got a couple of chm files that mobipocket won't import.

Would decompliing them to html make them readable on the cybook?

I mean I could just save the html file to a sd card...etc.

I would like to know as that's how I'd be using my cybook if ordered one along with my pdf ebooks.

Last edited by solodoc; 10-29-2007 at 09:35 AM.
solodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1325 View Post
it's mobipocket
Let's be clear on this. It is NOT a "ported" version of any other version of the MobiPocket reader. It's new software that's been written by Bookeen which reads MobiPocket files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solodoc View Post
Hi there

Just wondering I've got a couple of chm files that mobipocket won't import.

Would decompliing them to html make them readable on the cybook?

I mean I could just save the html file to a sd card...etc.

I would like to know as that's how I'd be using my cybook if ordered one along with my pdf ebooks.
That brings up a related question. Does the Cybook support TXT and HTML files that are in a Zip archive? This is widely supported by other reading software as a way to keep separate files for one book together, as well as saving space. If not supported, it would be a good feature to add. It would also be needed for epub support, so would be doubley smart.