Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Is it possible to print a hard copy from the Iliad?

I've just bought an Iliad and while waiting for it to turn up I've been having a look at what I can get it to do for me. The job I do requires large amounts of paperwork, manuals and the like. Some of which needs to be in hard copy form, so the question I have is, can I print directly from the Iliad to a USB printer?

Cheers Boris
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't believe the iLiad supports printing, although I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The iLiad does not support printing.

CUPS could probably be ported, but I'm not sure what all would be involved. I'm pretty sure it would be a pretty involved task. Especially since there aren't any stock iLiad apps that include print functions.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That could be quite interesting, would it mean a lot of programming to achieve?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I was wondering about CUPS myself. I was thinking the USB port wouldn't work, but then I realized I was thinking of the OTHER USB port, the one in the "travel hub." As Adam says, though, the software that comes with the iLiad doesn't support printing. Maybe Abiword could use it. But it sort of begs the question... if you have a reader like the iLiad, why do you want to print? Forms you have to fill out, or something?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
Boris
Enthusiast

Yeah, unfortunately due to the nature of the work it's a legal requirment to have a 'hard copy' The majority of the day to day work can be done using digital copies and as I get all the info from a single source it would be quicker to stick it to the Iliad and then print a copy as and when it's needed.

It's a shame it's not a feature, but as with most devices, the Iliad is designed and built for a general market not personalised for me and my wish list.

Thanks for the answers,

Boris
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Not to be a smart-aleck -- genuinely trying to be helpful here: would photocopies of the iLiad work for what you need? My Reader photocopies nicely.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I've just bought an Iliad and while waiting for it to turn up I've been having a look at what I can get it to do for me. The job I do requires large amounts of paperwork, manuals and the like. Some of which needs to be in hard copy form, so the question I have is, can I print directly from the Iliad to a USB printer?
Printing to an USB printer could be quite hard (i.e. untested, at least for the part of using the USB for "other things" that mounting usb-storage devices).

OTOH, if you want to print to a network printer that supports postscript (for example a modern LasterJet with a JetDirect adapter, or a Networked Laserjet), it could be doable, at least for PDFs.

Nevertheless, some way to get a print dialog for ipdf would be needed (the old xpdf had it), and a script for printing would also be needed. The easiest way to print is using the perl implementation of lpr that comes with lprng's sources.

So, for it to work:

1. We would need perl for the iliad (AFAICT, nobody has ported it; perhaps microperl is sufficient for those scripts, but that would have to be tested)
2. Modify ipdf or recompile xpdf for the iliad (I think the latter is easier)
3. Do some scripts to print using the perl lpr implementation to a network printer of your choice (being connected to the network, of course, but for that we have scripts now).

Just information for thought...
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Boris
Enthusiast

Thanks again for all the replies, when it turns up (hopefully tomorrow) I'm gonna see if photocopying the documents does the job. Genius idea NatCh
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Well, I was curious, so I just tried to make a photocopy (B&W) of my iLiad.

It could be worse, but it could also be a lot better. The buttons on the iLiad show up as white on the copy, the screen is a very dark grey and has some lines through it. The text is readable, but not ideal. Maybe with some tweaking it could be better...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Genius idea NatCh
Yes, it is, but I don't think it was my idea origianally.

The Sony copies pretty well, just a bit dark but totally readable -- a little tweaking the lightness would probably do it for that device.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #12
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
..of course if you're working in PDF you can always merge the files onto a PC and print from the PC ...
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Or photocopy your computer screen!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Nah, the refresh rate means it doesn't photocopy well.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 AM   #15
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
Phew... just in time!

I was just about to carry my 21" monitor to the photocopier...

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote