Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Battery life when reading from SD card

Does reading ebooks from the SD card drains the e-ink reader battery a lot quicker than from using the internal storage?

I don't have statistics but my iRiver reader lasts for just a few hundred pages before the battery completely runs out, but iRiver specs claimed that it's able to read 7000 - 9000 pages on a full charge.

I always read my ebooks stored on the SD card. I wonder if it is generally the case that accessing the SD card uses more battery power?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Does reading ebooks from the SD card drains the e-ink reader battery a lot quicker than from using the internal storage?

I don't have statistics but my iRiver reader lasts for just a few hundred pages before the battery completely runs out, but iRiver specs claimed that it's able to read 7000 - 9000 pages on a full charge.

I always read my ebooks stored on the SD card. I wonder if it is generally the case that accessing the SD card uses more battery power?
Guess what
The same technology storage (flash) is inside your reader.
Change your brand of SD Card and see if it helps.
There are crummy cards that don't power down and sleep.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I'm using a Sandisk card with a 4G storage. Not really sure if it's the culprit, or the battery life as claimed by the manufacturer is just dishonest advertising.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you might get more help in the forum related to your device?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have noticed the same problem with my Sony PRS-650 and a 4GB Lexar Memory Stick. The battery dropped a bar after a week of reading from the main memory, now it lasts a day or two at the most before it drops a bar.

Might have to do with indexing the increased number of books, though, and not the card itself. I don't know.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I'm using a Sandisk card with a 4G storage. Not really sure if it's the culprit, or the battery life as claimed by the manufacturer is just dishonest advertising.
My PEz has similar Specs.
Since I don't have a "Total Pages read" counter, I can't state in court that the value is exaggerated I do get many 300p books read per charge.

There are "Laboratory - Life tests" and "Real World (tm) - usage Tests".

Advertising will always use the one that looks best

Sandisk is a good BRAND. That does not mean that you did not get a bad Card.

I don't know the Iriver, but turning OFF my PEZ between reads uses MORE power re-booting and Re-scanning than just locking the keyboard (unit sleeps).
There was bad Firmware versions released for my model , that did not sleep properly and depleted the battery. ASK in the Iriver group about firmware to be using. You may have a similar problem)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote