Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I just thought of something... since I downloaded the update vice waiting for it to be sent to me, I saved them some money. Too bad I cant get a credit
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Here are the pics. Not too bad. The images from my Palm Pre manual did not show (I've added a copy of PDF from my computer for comparison).

Images automatically enlarge when rotated.

Now I have to add my screensaver hack back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map1.gif
Views:	890
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	40000   Click image for larger version

Name:	map2.gif
Views:	840
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	40001   Click image for larger version

Name:	map3.gif
Views:	837
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	40002   Click image for larger version

Name:	book1.gif
Views:	818
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	40003   Click image for larger version

Name:	book2.gif
Views:	772
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	40004   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus1.gif
Views:	756
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	40006   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus2.gif
Views:	722
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	40007   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus3.gif
Views:	690
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	40008   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus4.gif
Views:	704
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	40009   Click image for larger version

Name:	asus5.gif
Views:	618
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	40010   Click image for larger version

Name:	box1.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	40011   Click image for larger version

Name:	box2.gif
Views:	555
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	40012   Click image for larger version

Name:	home.gif
Views:	547
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	40020  

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-24-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: edited an image
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I never thought this would happen, but certainly glad to be wrong. Can't wait to try it...updating now. The wireless power saving is a bonus, though I would never have thought to ask for it. And the rotation feature - outstanding!

I can now author Kindle-specific PDFs, including those that use non-Latin characters.

Now I would just like ADE support (including ePub & PDF search, pan-zoom, & reflow I suppose), though I can use ADE on my laptop for most of that.

Overall it is basically just the DX-level PDF support for K2, which is better than nothing. You wonder why they waited so long.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-24-2009 at 04:58 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Looks like there's no update for the Kindle 1.
The press release says:

Quote:
Native PDF support will also be available for some earlier versions of Kindle via an automatic Whispernet wireless firmware update.
The earlier version of the K2 is the K1. Unless they meant the US only K2 being the "earlier version"?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Is the resolution crisper?

Daffy, do you think the resolution is better on standard, non PDF docs? Because the thumb nails you posted look great, much better than what I see on my K2, but perhaps that is because they are PDFs.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Daffy, do you think the resolution is better on standard, non PDF docs? Because the thumb nails you posted look great, much better than what I see on my K2, but perhaps that is because they are PDFs.
If you mean regular Kindle books, I don't notice a change in the crispness of the text. The screen grabs are saved by the Kindle as black & white .gif files instead of 16 bit gray scale images, so they have more contrast than an actual e-ink screen.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #22
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Looking forward to trying the upgrade on my Kindle 2.

They really should have given an option to adjust the screensaver timeout vs just setting it to a higher fixed value. I suspect a lot of the impetus behind changing the screen saver timer was pilots, who see the DX as a potentially great way to avoid having to carry large numbers of approach plates with them in paper form. (An example of an approach plate is here. Bonus points if you find the hidden message in some of the names in it.) Having your map disappear while using it to navigate in the clouds doesn't work very well, so that was one of the main issues pilots had with it.

It's not like there's a huge power change from screen saver to on, right? It just means the buttons stay active.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #23
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think the PDF looks amazing Now it to get Calibre from converting PDF's when sending books to the K2
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

So far I can't re-hack my screensavers. I hope it's user error.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #25
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Am I missing something, or is this still basically the equivalent of a really basic image viewer for PDFs, but now with a crop feature?

It's still a joke, otherwise:

NO ability to search within a PDF;
NO dictionary use within a PDF;
NO hyperlink capability (which means that TOCs, footnotes and indexes are useless within a PDF.)

So, why is Amazon sitting on its large collective behind, and failing to implement these most basic features?

And why are people so happy with this miserable update?

Phew!
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
1) About freakin' time. Well overdue IMO.
2) 85% improvement in battery life? I'll believe it when I see it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist
why are people so happy with this miserable update?
Because even with those limits, it's better than dealing with a conversion process.

I concur though that they should enable search & dictionary support, the sooner the better. Links may be trickier.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I'm glad it has PDF support. I've been playing with it for the past few minutes. Here are my observations:

Pros:
1. You can read PDF documents.
2. You can rotate the screen.
3. When viewed in landscape it fits the page to the width of the Kindle, the height in default view.
4. You can search documents for words.
5. You can add bookmarks.

Cons:
1. You can't highlight text.
2. You can't add notes.
3. You can't look up words in the dictionary
4. Indexes do not work.
5. Some books are still too hard to read even in Landscape mode. The screen just isn't big enough.

This will tide me over until Irex finally releases the DR800SG. They said mid-December, but they didn't say what year. I'm thinking mid-December 2010.

Etienne66

Last edited by etienne66; 11-24-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Was wrong about bookmarks and forgot about notes
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #28
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
I can confirm that the Font Hack no longer works with the new firmware on the DX.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #29
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Am I missing something, or is this still basically the equivalent of a really basic image viewer for PDFs, but now with a crop feature?

It's still a joke, otherwise:

NO ability to search within a PDF;
NO dictionary use within a PDF;
NO hyperlink capability (which means that TOCs, footnotes and indexes are useless within a PDF.)

So, why is Amazon sitting on its large collective behind, and failing to implement these most basic features?

And why are people so happy with this miserable update?

Phew!
Actually I just tried a search of the word "battery" in the PDF of my Asus manual and it is searching though and highlighting the word as it find it, so searching does work.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Wow. That is a serious increase to battery life for any device.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote