Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
RebaFoote
RebaFoote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What Inspires Your Writing?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and thought it would be great to talk about what inspires us as writers. For me, it's bits and pieces of life, or observations. Sometimes dreams and flashes of inspiration come to me, which I quickly jot down in a notebook. I love to write and without it, I would be miserable. It centers me and breathes life into my soul.

Please comment!
RebaFoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I'm inspired by history, current events, my experiences.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I think really the question for me is what doesn't inspire my writing. Anything really can inspire me to write. I guess it's just a matter of how much something in particular inspires, the more I like something usually the better idea I get and thus better for writing.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
What ifs.

They're always occurring to me. Like - what if a possum got rabies and jumped out of that tree there to attack me?

Beats beng a compulsive liar :-D
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
For me it's not so much about inspiration, but rather something that spawns an idea. Once an idea is spawned, my mind will then put it through a rigorous testing and examination phase. If it passes muster, it's tossed into a pile of ideas where other parts of my mind put the bits and pieces together into larger ideas until eventually I get a full blow story concept.

So in short, most of my writing isn't inspired in the proper sense of the word, but rather analytically constructed. If you still want to call that inspiration, then I guess that's how I'm inspired.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
RebaFoote
RebaFoote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
What ifs.

They're always occurring to me. Like - what if a possum got rabies and jumped out of that tree there to attack me?

Beats beng a compulsive liar :-D
I laughed out loud on that one! Excellent comments everyone. Keep 'em coming!
RebaFoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Ninety percent of the time music is the direct inspiration for anything I write. Ten percent because I'm angry and need to vent And the other fifty-percent of the time is because of my frustration with maths
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Great writing. Every time I read something masterful it reaffirms my desire to somehow get within shouting distance of that sort of level. I want to belong to that club.
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What Lord Raiden said.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
What Lord Raiden said.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote