Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
bphil00
bphil00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Question Embedded fonts

Hi,
I'm preparing my first ebook for retail and everything is working smoothly (to my surprise) except for font embedding.

I'm Using Adobe InDesign CC to export an ePub.
I'm using Google fonts (otf and ttf files) and checking the "Include Embeddable Fonts" checkbox.

When I preview in ADE, iBooks, and the Nook app the fonts are displaying properly. However when I sideload onto (sync with via itunes) the ipad, the embedded fonts are gone. In iBooks on the ipad the fonts are set to "Original" which I assume means "embedded."
As a side note, I'm having the same issue on kindle.

Has anyone had this issue and figured out what needs to be done to fix it?
Thanks in advance!

—Brian
bphil00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the ePub forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know what fonts you're embedded, but it's perhaps worth noting that no reader is going to appreciate you embedding a body font for the book. One of the benefits of an eBook is that the reader can choose his or her personal choice of font with which to read the book, and "hard-coding" the body font removes that choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
This problem might be a combination of two well known issues:

1. iBooks epubs with embedded fonts usually require an unmanifested com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file in the META-INF folder with the following content:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<display_options>
    <platform name="*">
         <option name="specified-fonts">true</option>
    </platform>
</display_options>
2. InDesign obfuscates fonts by default, which KindleGen doesn't like.

You may want to add com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml and replace the obfuscated fonts with unobfuscated ones.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
bphil00
bphil00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Hey guys,

HarryT,
Thanks for your feedback. I disagree that no one is going to appreciate the embedding of a body text font. I'm not disabling the ability to change fonts within the eReader, they are still free to do that as with any ebook.

Doitsu,
Thank you as well. I found that un-obfuscating/subsetting/encrypting the fonts by replacing the fonts within the .epub and deleting the encryption.xml file led to the fonts working on the ipad. Of course the font foundries, probably wouldn't be happy to hear that.

Adding the xml file that you mentioned also worked! Thank you!
Of course, when running thru FlightDeck, Kobo and Amazon didn't like the file.
bphil00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bphil00 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I disagree that no one is going to appreciate the embedding of a body text font. I'm not disabling the ability to change fonts within the eReader, they are still free to do that as with any ebook.
Part of the problem is not all apps/devices play nicely. Some apps allow the user to pick and choose what changes to make, and which to leave as the publisher set. Other apps require the user to pick "publisher settings" or "device settings".

If you set a body font there will be people who can't change it and will get upset. It is common to simply set a header font - or a first-letter font - and leave the remainder of the body undefined so that it reverts to the app/device setting.

Of course, if your particular font is essential to telling the story then by all means embed it!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
mattmc
Connoisseur
mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mattmc can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad 1/2/Air, K3/PW2/Fire1, Kobo Touch, Samsung Tab, Nook Color/Touch
Quote:
Doitsu,
Thank you as well. I found that un-obfuscating/subsetting/encrypting the fonts by replacing the fonts within the .epub and deleting the encryption.xml file led to the fonts working on the ipad. Of course the font foundries, probably wouldn't be happy to hear that.

I find this rather odd. I'm currently developing an eBook that is exported from InDesign CC, with the standard font obfuscation and subsetting. It views just fine on the iPad, including my embedded fonts. No need for font de-obfuscation (although I do need to do that with Kindlegen, as Doitsu mentioned). It's odd to me that you'd be having a problem on iPad.

Also, AFAIK, the CC export creates the ibooks.display-options.xml automatically...
mattmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Hey guys,

HarryT,
Phil:

While I don't disagree with you about embedding fonts, you should know that about 99% of the time, embedding a font means that the end-reader cannot change it on the device. In fact, very few of the devices allow a reader override of the fonts, and some do it in such an obscure way that a reader can rarely find the "how." Just advising, here.

Quote:
Doitsu,

You had some weird issue in your obfuscation file, then, for, as mattmc states, above, it shouldn't have caused you an issue, not in an ePUB that you are sideloading.

About the encryption: No, the font foundries WON'T be happy to hear it--you ought to at least subset the fonts, assuming that they are all licensed for eBook use, rather than simply "for commercial" use, or for "personal" use. I find that a lot of print designers (not saying that's what YOU are, or do; I don't know anything about you; I'm posting this for folks who come along and read this as part of their research) don't realize that simple "commercial" licensing doesn't cover eBook or App use. Check for the fonts you're using, and in any event, subset them.

Font Encryption is NOT a substitute for correct font-licensing for eBooks, just so this is clear for anyone coming along later and reading this.

Amazon's Kindlegen won't like that file, no. You may also find that when you upload an ePUB or MOBI at Amazon that the fonts are stripped right out of the file--I strongly recommend that you check it by doing a test upload at the KDP, to see if that happens to you.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
embedding, epub, font, fonts, ipad