No, I just read 30 24.00%
A few, but I mostly read books 46 36.80%
Yes, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I still read some. 51 40.80%
This is mobileread, not mobilelisten 2 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Audiobooks?

I borrowed my first audiobook from the library last weekend. I have to say the experience was less than ideal. First, it was WMA format, and I couldn't get it on my kindle or my tab. Then, even though I finished it by the next day, it cannot be returned early.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if I enjoyed the experience. It was snowing last weekend, and I had no intention of shoveling until the snow quit. So I put my jammies back on, put a log in the fire, picked up my knitting and started the audiobook. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, it was just strange. All this time, I felt I should be READING, not listening. Listening was for people who couldn't read. This makes very little sense, because I usually watch TV while I am knitting, which is definitely a bigger waste of time.

I understand the lure of audiobooks for those who have long commutes. But I'm sure there are other places where audiobooks make sense. When do you listen to audiobooks? Any tips to get into audiobooks?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I voted, listen but still read some. Right now, my listening is more than my reading, but that changes all the time. Basically, I do both, a LOT!

Where do I listen? When I'm quilting, driving, doing housework, taking my dog for a walk, basically anywhere, anytime I can.

It takes a while, at least it did for me, to get the skill to listen and do things. But now that I can, it's awesome.

As far as your specific audio book went, wma is a pain. However, Overdrive's mp3s can be returned early. They can also be listened to on almost any device. See if for your next audio book, you can't find one in mp3 format. You might be happier.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
I am almost exclusively audiobooks, but I do occasionally read as well. Audiobooks let me "read" while doing almost any other activity that doesn't require too much concentration: yard/house work, driving, exercise, etc. I'll even fall asleep to audiobooks from time to time. I've gotten my dad into audiobooks recently; he tells me that he feels less tired after a long drive (vacation travel - retirement must be nice) when he listens to a book vs. listening to music. I suppose audiobooks is a more "active" way to pass the time and helps you to maintain your concentration, but I'm no expert.

I can't believe someone actually voted for "This is MobileRead not MobileListen." Man, that is just rude! I would like to think this is a place for anyone with a love for books.

skinmaan
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
From time to time. I can sit and read for hours, but I can't just sit there and listen to an audiobook. I only listen to audiobooks when I am doing some other task which does not require the language part of my brain. If I am doing tasks at work that do not require reading or if I am in my car, audiobooks are great.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I just recently got into audiobooks, although I've always like radio dramas and Big Finish audios. I guess audiobooks have more in common with that sort of media than they do books, for me.

Maybe it's about finding the right audio for your tastes?

I bought a BBC dramatization of a Neil Gaiman book I had just finished, then I bought another read by the author, and found I enjoyed it as much as the performance style. Since then I've stuck mostly with genre titles - sci-fi, fantasy and old favorites like the Black Mask anthologies. Almost all of my audios are books I've already read and loved. I don't think nonfiction audiobooks are for me at all, or even general fiction titles.

I don't know if Overdrive Media makes a tablet app or not, but if they do it would cut down immensely on the WMA annoyance factor, I'll bet. I have a Sansa Clip for audios, and it works with Overdrive very nicely.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I'm in much the same camp as wawasteele, I often switch between reading and listening.

My preferred method of listening while at home is to use a little portable speaker with a sansa clip+.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
I don't know if Overdrive Media makes a tablet app or not, but if they do it would cut down immensely on the WMA annoyance factor, I'll bet. I have a Sansa Clip for audios, and it works with Overdrive very nicely.
They make apps for the major OSs that work for both phones and tablets. They don't make separate apps for tablets.

What WMA annoyance factor are you referring to?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I listen to audiobooks all the time. In my case, due to lost vision. Most of the library system downloads for audiobooks are set up for Mp3 players or Ipods. They were not designed for tablets or ereaders, hence the problems you ran into. I can only get an audiobook to download onto my tablet by using Overdrive. I just wanted to know how to do it, but I mostly use Ipods, so it's a non-issue. In general, Mp3s can be returned early, but wma's don't want to return early, at least for my library system. I've tried it. Doesn't work.

It takes longer to listen to an audiobook than to read it yourself, for most people. My suggestion is to simply use audiobooks when you are doing something else, such as knitting, cleaning, doing the dishes, exercising, etc. etc. You will discover that a simpler plot works better for multitasking. Otherwise, you keep having to stop, reverse, relisten. In my case, I stick with mystery cozies or fantasies such as Dresden Files. If you have a thriller or complex plot, you miss a lot, so better to read then.

I really like having a bluetooth speaker that is portable. Then I'm not tethered to a certain room. However, if your primary craft is knitting, then it probably doesn't matter because you likely will be listening in your 'knitting' chair/couch. If you want to use earbuds, I recommend the JVC Sport around-the-ear ones. They provide some sound cancelling, and are gentle to the ears. You can still hear the telephone, but it blocks out your partner's TV pretty well.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I mostly listen; with occasional reading. Maybe 3 to 5 listens for every read.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I didn't answer the poll as my answer is lately, I listen to audiobooks almost exclusively. I listen on my phone so it's always something I'll have with me. Whereas no matter how lightweight the e-reader is--it's another item in the bag or purse.

I listen to books on my train commute and while doing chores. I don't drive but did listen to books when I rented a car over the holiday. Basically listening to books has replaced listening to music and podcasts. It has also replaced dead tv viewing time. This is the time when I'd have the tv on just to have it on or watching rerun. Now I turn off the tv unless it's something I really want to watch. I'm plowing through more books now--for me. Compared to many here, I'm not a big reader. But what used to be 15-45 minutes a day of reading now stretches to 1-2 hours of listening.

It is easy to drift away from a story so I do have to remind myself to pay attention. It works for when your mind isn't particularly occupied. So listening to books is perfect for washing the dishes and doing the laundry for example. I work from home a lot and I never try to listen to a book while plugging away at a spreadsheet--as much as I'd love to. It would be a waste of the book.

I've also stuck with lighter easier reading material with audiobooks. Right now I'm finishing up the Millenium Trilogy which is perfect audiobook fare. I've got Bring up the Bodies next and it may be the first "serious" audiobook I'll try. I read Wolf Hall in book form and as great as the book was ultimately--it was such a slog. The font was too small, the lines too close to each other and I didn't want to carry the book around. It took me an embarrassingly long time to finish the book. I knew I wanted to read the followup but no way was it going to be in book form. So I ripped the CD of Bring up the Bodies. If I find the book is fare that better suited to reading, I'll borrow the ebook.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I only listen to audiobooks when I can't read - when I'm driving or walking/running outside. I'm not very efficient at following speech, but much more visual by nature.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I listen when I can't read. I listen when I cook, when I clean (OK that doesn't happen so often), when I do laundry, when I walk somewhere, when I drive somewhere, when I can't sleep.

I particularly like listening to non-fiction, as I tend to get bored quickly while reading it. I'd have missed out on a lot of excellent books had I not gone the audiobook route for non-fiction.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a one book at a time reader. I'd love to split time with listening or reading but it never works for me. I tried it with books versus ereader. And before that hardcover books versus paperbacks. One for reading at home and the other to carry around. It's pretty linear with me. Finish one book before I can start another. So yeah, it's probably another reason why I've been listening exclusively.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What WMA annoyance factor are you referring to?
Just that mp3s seem to be more widely supported on devices.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
Just that mp3s seem to be more widely supported on devices.
Yep, annoying that I can't play WMA books on my Android phone. I'm tempted to buy a Sansa clip/zip just to play the books, but I don't really want to add another gadget to carry around--no matter how small.