Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
khazaddum
Enthusiast
khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have US address but no US issued credit card: Buy from Kindle Store?

Hi!

I'm new here, I currently live in Honduras, Latin America America.
Today I ordered a Kindle Paperwhite and was absolutely excited about getting it, going through threads and I came across some old ones (2010-11) in which international buyers were complaining about book purchases being restricted to them due to their location.
I immediately canceled my order

Looking through the FAQ here I found this:

"Q: Do the current restrictions keep me from buying new material while I am over seas?
A: So long as you are purchasing with a credit card that is issued by a U.S. bank and have a U.S. billing address, you can purchase content while traveling."

I have an actual US address but no US credit card.
Now, I just hope that this answer is not a stone-written rule, or maybe it's old and one can access the Kindle Store with no restrictions?
It would be frustrating to have the Kindle and not be able to use it fully!

Help please :/
khazaddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Geographic restrictions are an unmitigated pest. However, if the books you wish to purchase are available in your geographic area then it wouldn't be a problem. Have you looked to see what is available?
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
khazaddum
Enthusiast
khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really don't know, since my location doesn't have a dedicated Amazon site I don't know what is or not available! It's truly frustrating.

Do you think that a US credit card is completely necessary?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. Only if your international store doesn't have the books you want.

When this is a problem for me I buy the book from Kobo using a US address and then download and convert the ePub into Mobi format using Calibre - great program and it is free. (Google Apprentice Alf for info on how to deal with DRM in this case.)

I then use Send To Kindle to transfer the converted book to my Kindle. It is all easier than it sounds.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
khazaddum
Enthusiast

That's genius! Ordering my Kindle now
Thank you for helping me get my Christmas gift for myself haha
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
cadele
Addict

Oh. Forgot to mention. Just login to your Amazon account and search for the books you are interested in. If they are available in your area they will show up for sale to you with a Kindle book price. If only paper versions show with a price then you will know the Kindle version is unavailable in your area.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
cadele
Addict

Glad that it helped . Enjoy your Christmas present and welcome to Mobileread!

Tags
credit card, kindle paperwhite, location, restricted