Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2024, 05:29 PM   #46
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Perhaps you can suggest a quick fix for the issue of Youtube videos that will not display from other websites?
It's the owner of the video that decides if people can view the video outside of YouTube or not.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:40 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Considering the issue is several sites that do not permit access by other websites, that would be unlikely to happen even if Mobileread was in active development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
It's the owner of the video that decides if people can view the video outside of YouTube or not.
Perhaps I should have put <Sarcasm> in my original message considering I was responding to a post suggesting that Mobileread was broken since it would not display images from sites that block other websites from accessing that content?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 05:52 PM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, MR "helpfully" blocks all external images.
No, it doesn't. Admittedly, it doesn't play well with Tapatalk, but it certainly doesn't block all external images.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #49
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
it certainly doesn't block all external images.
I don't think I've ever seen somebody use IMG tags successfully. You always end up with the broken cloud icon instead of the actual image.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 07:51 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a test

Click image for larger version

Name:	colorful-butterfly-with-black-outline-it_881695-24419.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	207321

Last edited by issybird; 04-02-2024 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Oversize images attached as thumbnail. Please read the guidelines for limits on image size.
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 07:53 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen somebody use IMG tags successfully. You always end up with the broken cloud icon instead of the actual image.
Oddly, I've seen IMG tags used successfully rather often. They are getting harder to use since many sites do not want you to link to their site and using their bandwidth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blood-eagle.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	207322

Last edited by issybird; 04-02-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:31 PM   #52
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oddly, I've seen IMG tags used successfully rather often.
I've seen them used on other forums, but maybe I just tend to view threads where people are linking to sites that MR doesn't like. At least you managed to find a few that work.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:58 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I've seen them used on other forums, but maybe I just tend to view threads where people are linking to sites that MR doesn't like. At least you managed to find a few that work.
Sadly, that wasn't choosing. I did a Google search on images and these were the first 4 links that showed up.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:08 AM   #54
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Perhaps I should have put <Sarcasm> in my original message considering I was responding to a post suggesting that Mobileread was broken since it would not display images from sites that block other websites from accessing that content?
Ah.

I probably didn’t read all the posts above and was just struck by the big YouTube image.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:14 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is it that [img] fails with some sites such as tapatalk? Is there any reason for this?

But yes it is best to attached and then put up the thumbnails so image can never expire. It's really annoying when you search for something and find what you may want only to find that you need the images in the post but they are no longer available.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:45 AM   #56
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Oddly enough, I have tried several page turners, physical, Bluetooth and WiFi. One part of my career was working with disabled students to help them to have as much independence as possible in learning. I also helped people outside work set their page-turners up. While most could be made to work, I did not find them worthwhile for me. As I said, with ereaders being a niche device with total sales of ereaders being a rounding error in Apple or Samsung sales, page turners for eInk ereaders are a niche within a niche market.
I wasn’t saying you hadn’t but the way you said it sounds a lot like what I described. You don’t find it worthwhile for you and that’s fine. It doesn’t mean that it’s not worthwhile. If Amazon did make it Bluetooth maybe other items could be used to perform the function such as large button switches.

Quote:
Within the group of people I know IRL who use ereaders, the percentage of users with disabilities that would prevent them from holding their ereader in their hands is rather low. For that fraction that has issues, assistive technology while maybe not a "life-saver", does help them to enjoy some quality of life. However, I think I am close to reality when I say that the vast majority of ereader users do not want or need a page turner.
It doesn’t matter if the number is low are not. I can hold my Kindle too that doesn’t mean that it’s easy or that I don’t get tired from doing so. With that said there are times I absolutely can not hold it. I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta. I’m not holding it at all if one of my arms is broken. You also need to take into consideration the number of people who don’t know they even exist. Again I agree this is a niche within a niche. I just don’t think that matters.

Quote:
I have no objection to page turners per se. What I object to is the people who appear to be claiming that more than a small minority of ereader users want and would make use of a page turner. Even with iOS or Android tablets, where setting up a page turner is relatively trivial, you don't see many people making use of a page turner.
My page turner works on my iPad too. I only use it when I’m reading graphic novels. Again who cares if the number is low? Why does that even matter? Page turners are growing in popularity. I get people asking me about mine all the time. Last night at reading sprints someone saw mine said they should get one to go with tablet floor stand they use with their Kindle and this morning I woke up to a PM on Discord letting me know they had ordered one. I’m not saying they are the most popular thing ever. But I am saying they are more popular than you are giving credit for.

Quote:
I remember being a page turner while at university. It got me into the concerts for free and forced me to concentrate on the music to know when to flip the page. Sadly, I was never good enough at playing any instrument to think of a career in a folk group.
Nice! I treasured good turners. It truly sucked when someone was bad at it. Luckily I didn’t have too many bad turners.

Thanks for fixing my pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does being a niche within a niche matter? Pocket, wiki, Dropbox,...
I don’t think it does at all. Amazon has proven that they are willing to add something niche to Kindle. I’m not saying wireless charging is niche. I’m saying that it’s niche in the eReader world. The SE doesn’t need wireless charging yet it has it. But most relevant to this discussion is the fact that they have a charging dock. It could be said that that was completely unnecessary. Yet it still exists. I don’t see why a Bluetooth page turner can’t exist.

To everyone: I’m sorry for the pics. I’ll be sure to never post them again since I never use MR from the web unless I’m answering a poll.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:58 AM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A reminder to all posters that image size restrictions apply. Two posts have had to be edited.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:09 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that [img] fails with some sites such as tapatalk? Is there any reason for this?

But yes it is best to attached and then put up the thumbnails so image can never expire. It's really annoying when you search for something and find what you may want only to find that you need the images in the post but they are no longer available.
Some sites especially photo sharing sites do not like links from other websites and they block such links. They want you to visit the site, view the advertising and then see the image.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:59 PM   #59
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
To everyone: I’m sorry for the pics. I’ll be sure to never post them again since I never use MR from the web unless I’m answering a poll.
It's not your fault. When a forum gives people the option to link to images, it's reasonable for them to expect that doing so will work.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:06 AM   #60
Inquisitive_Ram
Inquisitive_Ram began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10
To the original question, while I am very guilty of looking for the latest model myself I have recently come to like the fact that the technology is mature and there isn't a need to constantly upgrade (and the carbon footprint that comes with having to replace technologies)

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation. My only issue with it is I find the navigation of menus a bit slow and laggy. But once you're reading a book it's fine. I'll use it until it dies I think
Inquisitive_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote