Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Robert78
Robert78 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Delete a specific image and external links- Modify ??

I have a lot of epubs with a crap file '*.png" and external links often dead that I'd like to remove (twitter,...) on a large selection.
Is there a way to clean these epubs by entering filename criteria and selecting clean external links.

I know how to do it manually for the image, book after book.
1) edit book
2) report -> list of images
3) delete of the image
4) calibre repair function for dead reference
Old 12-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert78 View Post
I have a lot of epubs with a crap file '*.png" and external links often dead that I'd like to remove (twitter,...) on a large selection.
Is there a way to clean these epubs by entering filename criteria and selecting clean external links.
Not with this plugin.
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I know how to do it manually for the image, book after book.
1) edit book
2) report -> list of images
3) delete of the image
4) calibre repair function for dead reference
You cannot blanket remove what you want to remove. There's no way to know what you are removing is something you want or not. You'll have to do it all by hand in the editor.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
Robert78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot blanket remove what you want to remove. There's no way to know what you are removing is something you want or not. You'll have to do it all by hand in the editor.
I this case it's always the same filename.
I don't give up and I will developp it if I don't find a plugin to do it.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Twitter (and other Social) uses the same ICONs, but the link is per account holder.
OK, you could use a wildcard for the account part, but my slight experience on those pages is, the Paragraph/block coding varies all over the place and your goal seems to be want a Clean solution.
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe the filename is the same and maybe not. But even if you could automate removing the icon, you have created an error that now needs fixing.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
”It’s always the same” – until it isn’t.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
”It’s always the same” – until it isn’t.
I've seen plenty of Twitter graphics logos in eBooks and they are not always the same name.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:09 AM   #9
Robert78

Quote:
I've seen plenty of Twitter graphics logos in eBooks and they are not always the same name.
In my selection, it's always the same name.
Another way, more simple, is to delete all images with size less than 150 : always crap
Old 12-15-2020, 05:33 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In my selection, it's always the same name.
Another way, more simple, is to delete all images with size less than 150 : always crap
Not always. Some are section break markers, lines, and other things.

You cannot assume. You have to go into the code and deal with it manually.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
Robert78

Delete an image with accurate parameters

I've identified a particular image with identical parameters in my whole collection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1001eBooks.png
Views:	134
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	185391

It will take me years of my existence to remove these thousands files manually. Sometimes, the same 25 files in one epub.
Is there a possibility you insert a new function to delete an image with a set of very specific parameters ? Name, size, resolution...

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #12
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
I've identified a particular image with identical parameters in my whole collection.

It will take me years of my existence to remove these thousands files manually. Sometimes, the same 25 files in one epub.
Is there a possibility you insert a new function to delete an image with a set of very specific parameters ? Name, size, resolution...

Thanks for your help.
As a rule, plugins generally don’t get modified to handle such a specific, practically unique situation. In this particular situation… ebooks usually include images for a reason, such as to divide sections of text or display fancy chapter headers. It’s a really bad idea to automate such removal, and an even worse idea to do so in a widely-used application where end users can specify the parameters. That’s just… uh, no.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
As a rule, plugins generally don’t get modified to handle such a specific, practically unique situation. In this particular situation… ebooks usually include images for a reason, such as to divide sections of text or display fancy chapter headers. It’s a really bad idea to automate such removal, and an even worse idea to do so in a widely-used application where end users can specify the parameters. That’s just… uh, no.
This could be a case of the the same section break graphic being duplicated fr every section break. I've seen that before. The thing is without this graphic, you could lose the section break and to remove all the duplicates, you need to edit the code.

As said above, removing these graphics is not something that should be automated.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
Robert78

Quote:
This could be a case of the the same section break graphic being duplicated fr every section break. I've seen that before. The thing is without this graphic, you could lose the section break and to remove all the duplicates, you need to edit the code.

As said above, removing these graphics is not something that should be automated.
Quote:
So I'll hire a freelance developper to do the job in Python without risk.
I can't imagine manually edit thousands epubs
Old 02-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So I'll hire a freelance developper to do the job in Python without risk.
I can't imagine manually edit thousands epubs
This issue does not happen in thousands of ePub. I cannot see anyone attempting to automate this for you.
Closed Thread