Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FBReader
4.23 Metadata Plugin

Worked great long time and began hit and miss about 4 months ago and now 100% fail. Plugin info for Metadata Source shows: "Amazon.com (1.2.14) by Kovid Goyal. Downloads metadata and covers from Amazon."

I suspect there are plugin updates since yet before Ca 5.0 but where and how to get them. I loaded 5.0 (5.1?) with fail so dropped back to 4,23 which is fine for my needs. I just download, convert and send to my tablet. Love Calibre but my bad failing to look into a major revision before updating. I know better....
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
metadata source plugin updates work on 4.23 as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
OldLincoln
Zealot
OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OldLincoln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that info. Can I be steered toward a download of a recent proven plug-in for Amazon Metadata downloads? I use Calibre a lot but rarely get under the hood. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can install the latest Calibre 5 and the DeDRM 7.0.3 plugin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
Thanks for that info. Can I be steered toward a download of a recent proven plug-in for Amazon Metadata downloads? I use Calibre a lot but rarely get under the hood. Thanks!
Have you taken a look at your plugin configuration? See the attached image. I've found that using Amazon servers seems to work best for me though I do toggle the country between Canada and US. If you do a large number of metadata updates rapidly, I've found that Amazon will throttle your connection causing timeouts before getting usable metadata.

Calibre 5.11 has v1.2.15 for the Amazon metadata download plugin but that plugin ships with calibre, it is not a third party plugin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon_metadata_download.png
Views:	188
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	185406  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
OldLincoln
Zealot

Thanks for the help. I'll backup the database then upgrade to current Calibre and beta dedrm.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the built-in metadata source plugins are downloaded automatically when they are updated. You should have it.

What error are you actually getting? Post the contents of the log after a search so we can see what is happening. Or, as @DNSB suggested try different servers and see if that gives better results.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #8
OldLincoln
Zealot

This is a followup of my original post of 2.14.21
Since I've upgraded to 5.14 and it comes with 1.2.15 amazon metadata source. I still have the metadata issue with today it retrieving 1 of 20 books downloaded from Amazon.com. The message is consistent with "ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata or cover for the selected book."

I'm opening each failed book in my browser and cut/paste in Calibre. Slow but so was grinding corn in the old days. Been spoiled since Calibre came along. Odd because getting metadata from Amazon was a 99+% solution for a very long time. I'm open to fresh ideas.
OldLincoln
Old 03-31-2021, 06:37 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
This is a followup of my original post of 2.14.21
Since I've upgraded to 5.14 and it comes with 1.2.15 amazon metadata source. I still have the metadata issue with today it retrieving 1 of 20 books downloaded from Amazon.com. The message is consistent with "ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata or cover for the selected book."
Which probably means nothing has changed. We need to see the log, not just the error message, to get an idea of what is actually happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #10
OldLincoln
Zealot

OK, this is embarrassing for me.... I've looked where I know to look and only came up with how to open error log in 2015 and it didn't work for the plugin. Chalk it up to my 84 years but still, with over 30 of those working with computers, I should be able to figure it out. Of course my memory is at least 25% gone and I can't remember lots of stuff. So it would be appreciated if someone could direct me on how to view copy the plugin LOG for amazon download source.

Thanks,
OldLincoln (aka Earle)

Last edited by OldLincoln; 04-23-2021 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added "log"