Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #121
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi Ashjuk,

Please post the css class for menuitem that you feel will better distinguish it from normal text here so that others can try it themselves.

Thanks,

KevinH
Hi Kevin,

Will do. I will experiment with a few settings to see what I can achieve to make the menuitem stand out a little more.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #122
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Following from my post about the menuitem class I have made some changes to the css code to achieve a greater degree of contrast.

Three suggestions for everyone to have a look at. Please feel free to comment and criticise.

In all cases I have increased the font size from 0.9em to 1em.

1: Bold text:
Code:
span.menuitem {
font-family: monotype, courier, sans-serif;
font-size: 1em;
font-weight: bold;
}
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1614273962

2: Bold black text on light grey background.
Code:
span.menuitem {
background-color:lightgray;
}

3: Bold white text on black background:
Code:
span.menuitem {
color: white;
background-color: black;
}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menuitem 1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	185606   Click image for larger version

Name:	menuitem 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	185607   Click image for larger version

Name:	menuitem 3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	185608  
Advert
Old 02-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #123
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I personally like the first one as the other two break up the text even more but I was hoping for something that made the text (not the background) be seen as different. Would growing the text size help or maybe shrinking it even more to make it appear even more different without a background change?

My 2 cents only here ...
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #124
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
#1 (bold text) is okay with me. I'm also okay with #2 (grey background).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:20 PM   #125
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the Preferences chapter. Whew! Moving on ...

P.S. For the credits page, would it be okay to list me as odamizu (all lower case) rather than Odamizu?

Last edited by odamizu; 03-12-2021 at 03:10 PM. Reason: removed attachments now that User Guide is done
Advert
Old 02-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #126
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
I personally like the first one as the other two break up the text even more but I was hoping for something that made the text (not the background) be seen as different. Would growing the text size help or maybe shrinking it even more to make it appear even more different without a background change?

My 2 cents only here ...
I tend to agree with you that having a background colour is perhaps too intrusive, but I was trying initially to stay away from colouring the text to make it stand out so the effect would not be lost on an eReader.

I'm not sure about shrinking the font size more than it was as, although it would enhance the difference, it might make it harder to read.

Perhaps, as you suggest, a slight increase might be all that's needed.

Font-size increaded to 1.1em:
Code:
span.menuitem {
    font-size: 1.1em;
	}
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1614330220

Font-size increased to 1.1em and italicised:
Code:
span.menuitem {
    font-size: 1.1em;
	font-style: italic;
	}
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1614330220

Of these two options I think I prefer the first. Increasing the font size by two points and making it bold is probably all it needs to make it stand out from the surrounding text.

What do others think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menuitem 4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	185620   Click image for larger version

Name:	menuitem 5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	185621  
Old 02-26-2021, 05:02 AM   #127
Ashjuk
Fanatic

I have had a look at spellcheck.html.

Minor changes to the text to add references to keyboard shortcuts for both Windows and Mac.

Added two new small image files to show options on the spellcheck dialogue box rather than the text references.

Edited the stylesheet to enhance the look of the menuitem style.

Use whatever you think is suitable.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1614333712
Attached Files
File Type: zip spellcheck.zip (139.8 KB, 128 views)
Old 02-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #128
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Happy to. That change will be in the next version along with your edited Preferences chapter!

Thank you!

Quote:
P.S. For the credits page, would it be okay to list me as odamizu (all lower case) rather than Odamizu?
Old 02-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #129
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thank you! I will merge things into the next version.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I have had a look at spellcheck.html.

Minor changes to the text to add references to keyboard shortcuts for both Windows and Mac.

Added two new small image files to show options on the spellcheck dialogue box rather than the text references.

Edited the stylesheet to enhance the look of the menuitem style.

Use whatever you think is suitable.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1614333712
Old 02-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #130
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
If nobody else has claimed them, I will take on tutorial_metadata.html and tutorial_add_cover.html.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #131
KevinH
Sigil Developer

They are yours!

Thanks!

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
If nobody else has claimed them, I will take on tutorial_metadata.html and tutorial_add_cover.html.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #132
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Fixed title page as requested. Added in the newly edited Preferences (Thank you odamizu) and SpellCheck (Thank you Ashjuk) chapters. Edited the post for the new tutorial chapters claimed by Banjo.

The resulting updated user guide has been attached to the first post in this thread as:

src_updated_20210226_01.epub
Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 PM   #133
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
... The possible new chapters relate to ...

2. An improved discussion of Plugins for users. Including where to find them, how to install them, how to remove them, how to assign icons to plugin placeholders, etc. Perhaps including a very brief summary of some of the major plugins out there: epubcheck, flightcrew, KindleImport, ODTImport, Kindlegen, epub3-itizer, Access-Aide, etc, etc.
I will aim to cover this in Manage Plugins chapter, so a whole new chapter shouldn't be necessary.

Quote:
Fixed title page as requested ...
Thank you!
Old 02-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #134
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Excellent Idea!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I will aim to cover this in Manage Plugins chapter, so a whole new chapter shouldn't be necessary.

Thank you!
Old 02-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #135
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
... 2. An improved discussion of Plugins for users. Including where to find them, how to install them, how to remove them, how to assign icons to plugin placeholders, etc. Perhaps including a very brief summary of some of the major plugins out there: epubcheck, flightcrew, KindleImport, ODTImport, Kindlegen, epub3-itizer, Access-Aide, etc, etc. ...
With regard to "major plugins", I will include the ones you name above. Anything else? I mean, I know which plugins I use and love, but not sure what most people consider major. And, of course, I will link to the MobileRead Sigil plugin index.

Also, I know there was discussion of integrating wrCisco's fabulous cssRemoveUnusedSelectors plugin directly into Sigil. Should I include that plugin in this discussion or is it now moot?

Last edited by odamizu; 02-26-2021 at 11:39 PM.