Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #16
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
One good thing, I don't use books that require you to remove protection in order to view.
Mine are legit Kobo purchases, or free 3rd party epubs, or free unprotected PDFs.

If that makes a difference for what you need to use.
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
Hey. My chrome has a large drive, plus have tons of storage options.
But yeah, it's the transfer from that's the problem it seems.

Maybe this won't work then afterall, and I'll just stick with paper.
But you really do want a computer that's not running crippleware. Windows 10 is the bet OS to use for/with eBooks. Do yourself a favor and get a laptop that runs Windows 10.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #18
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I chose a chromebook for a reason, life choice. Windows, Laptop etc is not an option.
Currently running a silent microPC with Win10 right now, that I'm dumping for the chrome. Only area is sounds like might be a problem is with an eReader I guess. IF so, I drop the eReader.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One good thing, I don't use books that require you to remove protection in order to view.
Mine are legit Kobo purchases, or free 3rd party epubs, or free unprotected PDFs.

If that makes a difference for what you need to use.
Not really.Free eBooks can still have DRM that you want to get rid of. Also, I don't know of anyone that does not want to read something that's not free and not everything you'll want to read is DRM free.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I chose a chromebook for a reason, life choice. Windows, Laptop etc is not an option.
Currently running a silent microPC with Win10 right now, that I'm dumping for the chrome. Only area is sounds like might be a problem is with an eReader I guess. IF so, I drop the eReader.
So keep the Windows 10 system for use with your eBooks. No reason to get rid of it.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
jgbout
Groupie

Downsizing. I need the space. The big screen, wires, etc.... gotta go.

I didn't mean all my books are free. I mean, I either get them via purchasing through Kobo, or of the free and DRM free type.

All those other progs, aren't they for converting file types and removing DRM ? Which I would not need.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:49 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Downsizing. I need the space. The big screen, wires, etc.... gotta go.

I didn't mean all my books are free. I mean, I either get them via purchasing through Kobo, or of the free and DRM free type.

All those other progs, aren't they for converting file types and removing DRM ? Which I would not need.
You could do what I do. Plug your Windows 10 computer into your TV and use that as a monitor. That would save space.

One cable for the power, one cable for the USB port to plug in your Kobo and one cable for for the TV. That's it, three cables. Get a wireless mouse/keyboard and no cables there. Problem solved.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #23
jgbout
Groupie

@davidfor -- you said, "Otherwise you have to edit the database on the device."

This would be the best for me. IS there a guide somewhere how to edit the database on the device?

Not using Calibre is the best thing for me.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #24
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
@jgbout, no worries.
As long as you can plug you Kobo to your chromebook and transfer your ebooks in the main storage, you should be good. Calibre isn’t mandatory
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
@jgbout, no worries.
As long as you can plug you Kobo to your chromebook and transfer your ebooks in the main storage, you should be good. Calibre isn’t mandatory
The problem is that the series info won't get on the Kobo this way.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #26
jgbout
Groupie

Thats the only problem.
Someone mentioned being able to edit the database on the device - but I don't know anything about it.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:49 AM   #27
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
*sigh* So much preaching...

You don't necessarily need Series on the Kobo.
For a long time Kobo didn't even properly support series.

What you can do instead, is use Collections.
You can create/delete Collections and add Books to it manually on the Reader itself.
Just copy the books anywhere on the reader.
Go to My Books -> Collections -> Add Collection -> Open Collection -> Add Books to Collection

The series order could be added to the title before copying it over so you can sort by name, or you have to take care to copy them in order so you can sort by date added.

Kobo Reader are fine for the average consumer and just work.
The responses and negativ comments in this forum are made by enthusiasts that expect much more from their devices. Not really a representation of the average who doesn't want to tinker.

If you really want to play with calibre but ditch the home pc, there are simple to setup server based solutions, or you could let it run on a minipc or rasbery. But I guess you dont want a new tech hobby.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #28
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The problem is that the series info won't get on the Kobo this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The metadata addon (I'm having a blank on it's actual name. But it is created by @geek1011 and he has a link in the signature of his posts) is something is something you add to the device. The device already reads some metadata from the book, but, this reads more including the series info. But, it requires that the series info is in the book.
It's NickelSeries.

Also, to add to what @davidfor said, this should be one of the stablest and most future-proof Kobo mods. The only way it'll stop working is if Kobo significantly refactors their database handling abstraction (which hasn't happened for as far back as I can remember, and is highly unlikely) or if they completely overhaul their toolchain, in which case it'll stop working without causing further issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But using NickelSeries means you have to edit every eBook in a series to add the series info the the OPF so it can be read and set correctly.
Not if the books already have series metadata. A lot of newer third-party books come with EPUB3-style series metadata included.

Quote:
Someone mentioned being able to edit the database on the device - but I don't know anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Otherwise you have to edit the database on the device. That isn't hard, but, doing it for all your books would take time.
If you literally mean on the device, my seriesmeta tool should work if you've already imported the books without NickelSeries or Calibre.

If you're fine doing it manually and are able to work with SQL, sqlite3 (@NiLuJe has a binary in his tools) can do it, but I don't really see any advantage to doing it that way.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #29
jgbout
Groupie

Hi Geek.
You lost me at ... able to work with SQL, hahaha

I just wanted to be able to add my books and know which one's to read next. On my last reader (Glo) I just couldn't get it to do it. I even renamed them before drop and dragging them to the device. Put them in Collections, but still didn't keep them in order of time added either.

Right now everything is on an SD card (Glo took cards).
Old 03-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #30
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
TLDR:

If your books have embedded series metadata, you can use NickelSeries. But, if you've already imported your books, you will need to run my seriesmeta tool (it comes with kepubify) to import the series metadata retroactively.

If you already use Calibre to manage your books, you can use its series metadata feature (@davidfor can help you with that).

If you don't use Calibre and you don't have series metadata embedded in your books, you will have to add them manually (which is more complex than you're prepared to do). Alternatively, if you show me an example filename, I can give you a custom version of NickelSeries which will take series metadata from your directory structure.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote