Notices

Old 02-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
franc
Connoisseur
franc began at the beginning.

Device: none
TOC - change order by drag and drop

Hallo

I use Calibre since years now and I love it!
Just recently I discovered the Editor function, and tried it with some books (epub).
I wonder if it would be possible to move entries of the Table Of Contents (TOC) by drag and drop or similar easy?

How can I edit the TOC the easy way?
Is that possible?

When I edited epub before, I had to edit the html code, which is often enough a pain in the glass

I never found any epub-Editor where this is really easy, is there any?
Sigil is neither very easy editing, at least I can edit in "Book view" directly the text (WYSIWYG-editing, but mostly I have to clean html later by hand).
I dont find such tool in Calibre's ebook-edit, is there that?

Thanks for hints.
frank
franc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Use the TOC tool (also available from the main Library toolbar if you add it). You can edit,move, nest to your hearts content.
The icon is lines with a pointing hand

Just remember BACKUP/Save the work before you start and Abort (Cancel), if you make a disaster
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use the TOC tool (also available from the main Library toolbar if you add it)...
I dont find that. I am on Mac OS 10.11 with 3.48 calibre.

But in calibre it is NOT possible to edit text wysywig?
Old 02-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
I dont find that. I am on Mac OS 10.11 with 3.48 calibre.

But in calibre it is NOT possible to edit text wysywig?
I don't remember way back to 3.48

If you have the Calibre Book Editor (T) in your version; Tools Table of contents.
I don't remember any changes to that tool

Also, preferences:toolbars and menus: <your choice of menus>: is it showing on the left lt, then you need to move it to the right
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:44 AM   #5
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you have the Calibre Book Editor (T) in your version; Tools Table of contents
Yeah! That it is
Menu: Werkzeuge > Inhaltsverzeichnis > Inhaltsverzeichnis bearbeiten
gives me a WYSIWYG TOC-Tool, great
Thank!

But still the question: can I WYSIWYG edit the normal text as in Sigil?

EDIT: I did some experiments with the TOC Editor but it is not so easy listening: I cannot move (drag and drop) an entry of the toc to another place in the same level, it goes only under another entry as subentry
And I cannot auto-sort the headers alphabetically

Last edited by franc; 02-24-2021 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there is no wyswyg editor and the wyswyg editor was removed from sigil as well. You can drag and drop to re-order at the same level, drop when there is a single black line to drop between two items.

As for sorting by name? why? why would you want a toc sorted by name?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:21 AM   #7
franc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No there is no wyswyg editor and the wyswyg editor was removed from sigil as well. You can drag and drop to re-order at the same level, drop when there is a single black line to drop between two items.
Ah yes thank, at least I found it. Also I found that I can scroll while dragging, which is important, as the list doesnt auto scroll up, if I drag an entry over the upper edge (or down when over the bottom of the list).

In my old version of Sigil, last working for Mac OS 10.11 the WYSIWYG editor is still present. I dont understand why they took it out

EDIT: Explanation is here:
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...is-really-gone
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321081

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As for sorting by name? why? why would you want a toc sorted by name?
Good question! Normally this would give no sense, you are right!
But I have a cookbook epub where I sort the cooking recipes alphabetically.
Also I have an epub with Lyrics where I sort alphabetically, too much headers to overview without order.
Those two books I edit from time to time, when I have a new recipe or poem
This gives sense, doesnt it?

EDIT: I just tried Sigil on W10 with PageEdit (see above) to get WYSIWYG and it works flawlessly
In Sigil menu: Edit / Preferences / General Settings / Set your preferred external xhtml editor: C:\...\PageEdit.exe
Then I can easily open the html with PageEdit with the "External HTML Editor" Tool in the Toolbar (a kind of an X icon).
Or with the open with... in the context menu of the html file (have to search the PageEdit.exe then).

So no worry for it. If I want to change some TOC or add some content, I will download the epub from Google Drive (where I have a two-way-synced backup from my phone) edit it on Windows 10 on tablet or PC and upload it to Drive again. Next sync it is on my phone, changed version Works
Thank.

Last edited by franc; 03-01-2021 at 09:02 AM.