Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-31-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
GerardE
GerardE began at the beginning.

Device: phone
Sigil 1.4.x GUI locking

I'm having an issue with all the version of Sigil 1.4.x on Windows 10 Professional.

Whenever I load an epub the GUI locks/hangs on every mouse click and takes around 15-20 second util another mouse click can be made. This has made using the app almost impossible and I've been forced to downgrade to v1.3.

Can anyone suggest any steps I can take to debug this problem, as I'd prefer to find a solution rather than simply complain.

Thanks
GerardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There really are very few things different about 1.3 vs 1.4.x that I would expect to cause problems like you are experiencing. They all use the exact same build of Qt5.12.9 and Python 3.8.3, for instance.

And we know it's nothing inherent to either Sigil 1.4.3 (don't bother trying to install 1.4.0-2) or Windows 10. I compile and test Sigil on Win10 Pro (latest updates) and experience no such issues. As do countless others using the same formula.

Please verify the following:
1) You're opening Sigil as a standalone app and not via calibre's Open With (built-in feature or plugin)

2) the issue presented itself with every single epub you opened.

3) the issue presented itself when launching Sigil without an epub (the default empty epub you get when double-clicking the Sigil desktop icon).

Something you could try would be to back-up your Sigil preferences folder somewhere else, then delete it from its regular location and then install Sigil 1.4.3 and let it recreate the default preferences (just like a fresh install) when it's launched the first time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Or is this another example of opening a single huge html file?

BTW: Where are all of these single huge html files coming from? The only thing that generates them from my understanding is unpacking an old old mobi6. Is there something else that seems to think a single huge html file is some sort of format?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
It's possible. That's why I asked about "every single epub" and the default empty epub above. But even if it IS down to epubs comprised of single huge html files, what is it about 1.4.x that seems to exacerbate the problem (since rolling back to 1.3.0 seemed to "fix" the OP's problem)?

I've tested with large novels comprised of single html files on Windows 10 and while Sigil 1.4.3's performance definitely starts getting sluggish (with Preview Open), I don't experience anywhere near the 15-20 (and even 30-60) "hangs" others have described. The performance hit I experience with the single huge html files in 1.4.3 are comparable to the performance hit those kinds of epubs have always caused Sigil. No Sigil version since the switch to QtWebEngine has been any worse in that regard on any of my own Windows machines (real or virtual).

Quote:
BTW: Where are all of these single huge html files coming from? The only thing that generates them from my understanding is unpacking an old old mobi6. Is there something else that seems to think a single huge html file is some sort of format?
Not sure. Conversions from giant Word documents could also result in one giant html file. My own DOCXImport plugin leaves it up to the user to properly split the html. Many neophytes might not see the need to split up the result of using Export to HTML from a Word novel. *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-31-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I've found quite a few indie published KF8 format ebooks that unpack to a single HTML file. I've developed the habit of running the Quality Check plugin's oversized html file check on newly imported books before I start my metadata update/cleanup/etc. work flow.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've found quite a few indie published KF8 format ebooks that unpack to a single HTML file. I've developed the habit of running the Quality Check plugin's oversized html file check on newly imported books before I start my metadata update/cleanup/etc. work flow.
Same here: Amazon books from some Indies. One huge main content file with a tiny frontmatter file (and maybe a backmatter one).

Just read here at MR and you will see all the posts by those who think you can only do a decent 'book edit' if you work on a single file.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
I am also having slow response time when I click to edit text after finding what I want in the Preview panel/window.

The file size is only 875kb, however I do use Open Office to do most of my major typing. I then either save then file as an HTML and add that file into an existing sigil epub. or if I'm doing a major edit in an existing file I use PageEdit to open the file, cut and paste the text into OO then cut and paste it back into PageEdit, (please add popup to paste as plain text when using CtrlV) I then save PageEdit into Sigil.

I have read that Quality Check can look at file size. So I have downloaded Quality Check, however I can not get it to load into Sigil. I'm hoping you won't tell me I have to download additional software in order to get it to work.

Thank you
Brent
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
On Windows, Linux, Or Mac?
What happens if you run Mend and Prettify on the CodeView? Does editing speed improve?

And for what it is worth, copying and pasting large amounts of text from OpenOffice or Word into PageEdit just to get it into Sigil is probably not a very good idea. There are plugins that can help you import Word/OpenOffice files directly into Sigil and Calibre is said to do a good job at that as well.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-23-2021 at 10:40 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #9
brent63
Zealot

Windows 10.

It cut the delay time down significantly.

I do run that command a lot as some edits come in not 'double spaced' or 'first line indented'. I have also seen it pop up when I save a file if it is not formatted correctly.

Is it automatically run when a file is first opened?

Thank you
Brent
Old 02-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No. Prettify is a strictly manual process. In your case, I'd wager to say the the file size isn't all that relevant to the slowdowns you're experiencing. It sounds to me like the html you're pasting into Sigil has no (or very, very few) line endings in it. One giant line of html code with no line endings is the number one thing that can cause severe slowdowns when editing within Sigil. If whatever you use to create/export your html creates a file with no line endings, that would explain the slowness.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #11
brent63
Zealot

I'm sorry, but ran it on wrong file.

I'm using Windows 10 and still having long delays, it even happens when I try to minimize the Sigil window.

I have run the Well Formed Check EPUB; and I have no errors.

I also ran the Validate Stylesheets; and have no errors

There are no Unused Media files or Stylesheet classes.

Thanks
Brent
Old 02-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Run Mend and Prettify on all html files. Prettify will add the line endings.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #13
brent63
Zealot

When you speak of line endings, are you talking about "/p"?
Old 02-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

No. Line endings are invisible characters. I'm talking about line-feeds and carriage returns.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
brent63
Zealot

As I do not see them in the editor, how do I go about removing them?

Tags
gui lock, sigil