Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
PeterA
PeterA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo PC connection sucks

I found that our 2 Kobo Aura bothe refuse to connect to Windows 10, thus making it unable to transfer content from Calibre to the reader.
Internet fora claim it is a known issue, between Kobo and cable connections. I have used both their own, and my other cables, effect none.
Will look out for another brand, without the hassle.
PeterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The problem is usually Windows 10 or a cable. Not the Kobo.
I've had no problem with three Kobo models: The Touch, C version, Original Aura H2O and Libra.

No-one else here is reporting Kobo specific connection issues. There was a disconnection issue with one firmware version.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What type of USB port are you connecting to on your PC? Anecdotal reports are that Kobo is happier connecting to a USB 2 port. If you only have USB 3 ports use a USB 2 hub attached to a USB 3 port.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What type of USB port are you connecting to on your PC? Anecdotal reports are that Kobo is happier connecting to a USB 2 port. If you only have USB 3 ports use a USB 2 hub attached to a USB 3 port.
I've been connecting my H2O to a USB 3 port for 4-5 years and I've never once had a problem. One of the USB 3 ports is a charge port. The other three are just standard USB 3. Also, I am using Windows 10 64-bit Home and Pro (MSI aptop and MS Surface Pro 2)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
I found that our 2 Kobo Aura bothe refuse to connect to Windows 10, thus making it unable to transfer content from Calibre to the reader.
Internet fora claim it is a known issue, between Kobo and cable connections. I have used both their own, and my other cables, effect none.
Will look out for another brand, without the hassle.
Which version of the Aura? And as has been pointed out several times in this thread, there are issues with some USB3 ports and Kobo ereaders (my laptop connects happily on a USB3 port but will only charge from the USB3 always on charging port). There are also reports that several Windows tablets having issues with not supplying enough power. Plugging a powered USB2 hub into either port and connecting a Kobo to the hub allows me to use either port. Considering the cost of a USB2 hub compared to a new ereader, that might be something to try before purchasing a new ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My Libra refused to connect to my new Dell laptop via any USB-C/USB-A adapter I tried (the Dell only has USB-C ports). I bought an USB-C/USB-2 hub then and that worked.

I might add that none of my other devices, external drives, Kindles, cordless mouse etc had any trouble with connecting via an adapter. The Kobo was the only device refusing to do so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've never tried to connect my Clara to a Windows computer, but have never had any problem connecting to either Linux nor macOS.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The problem is usually Windows 10 or a cable. Not the Kobo.
I've had no problem with three Kobo models: The Touch, C version, Original Aura H2O and Libra.

No-one else here is reporting Kobo specific connection issues. There was a disconnection issue with one firmware version.
It's not Windows 10. If it was, we'd have a lot of reports of connection problems.

We have had reports of the cable and the port being used. And we've had reports of using a USB 2 hub works.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As Jon says, it's not the much maligned Windows 10. I've seen highly reputable anecdotes of issues on Apple devices with certain USB ports.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
As Jon says, it's not the much maligned Windows 10. I've seen highly reputable anecdotes of issues on Apple devices with certain USB ports.
Apple with the M1 chip because Apple is using bleeding edge and it bleeds too much.

@PeterA on this computer, what type of USB ports are they and what is the connector type?
Old 01-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not Windows 10. If it was, we'd have a lot of reports of connection problems.

We have had reports of the cable and the port being used. And we've had reports of using a USB 2 hub works.
Mostly it's the port. Sometimes it *IS* a particular Win10 update and HW combination. I've had SD card ports vanish and Sound Devices vanish after a Win10 update, both easily fixed without any download.

Where it is an issue on Mac, Linux or Windows it usually affects more than the Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can't connect my Kobo with the USB-3 connection in my case. Generally, it won't connect, but sometimes it does/doesn't/does/doesn't/does... (ping, ping, ping is all I'll get then )

So, I just connect it with a USB-2 connection directly on my motherboard. That works perfectly, all the time.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Unfortunately I think the OP just joined, vented and departed.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Unfortunately I think the OP just joined, vented and departed.
Sadly you're probably right. Wrote the message at 5:18AM my time, last activity at 5:26AM my time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote