Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #526
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Not at all. I just like to have all my sideloaded books on the kobo and prefer to access them via a folder like structure. I do not have yet an idea of how to get this via collections or otherwise, so for my sideloaded books I use koreader and for the kobo books I use nickel. I know, not the perfect setup. I would love to use nickel alone.

I know of the collections generator from folder structure, but I am not quite happy with it. I am not very familiar with calibre solution to this. Any advice pointing me to further experimentation is most appreciated. Thank you.
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #527
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogu1904 View Post
Not at all. I just like to have all my sideloaded books on the kobo and prefer to access them via a folder like structure. I do not have yet an idea of how to get this via collections or otherwise, so for my sideloaded books I use koreader and for the kobo books I use nickel. I know, not the perfect setup. I would love to use nickel alone.

I know of the collections generator from folder structure, but I am not quite happy with it. I am not very familiar with calibre solution to this. Any advice pointing me to further experimentation is most appreciated. Thank you.
You should not jump into KOReader without trying what's available with the Kobo firmware. Thing is, in most cases, there's no need for a directory structure with collections, and series. So the Kobo firmware a try and you'll see you may not need KOReader.

Read this Wiki entry one how to setup collections and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections

Also, you'll be able to take advantage of the patches and things like NickelMenu.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #528
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I agree. That's why I use Literata Book.

Here's two pics of my Kobo, one showing the new 36pt Literata and the other showing Literata Book. Both have the same font settings including line height slid all the way to the left.
Literata Book is Literata v2 which has had the vertical spacing reduced. The space between letters (kerning) is improved in v3. The space you're seeing between words is due to the fact you're reading with justified text rather than ragged right (which I use, and keeps the space between words consistent). The difference in weight is because the 36pt variant has lighter leading edges to fonts, and a fairer comparison would be between the 12pt variant and Literata Book.

I am sure I mentioned much of this when I first posted Literata Book in this thread. You'll also notice the digits are a different style in Literata Book.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #529
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Literata Book is Literata v2 which has had the vertical spacing reduced. The space between letters (kerning) is improved in v3. The space you're seeing between words is due to the fact you're reading with justified text rather than ragged right (which I use, and keeps the space between words consistent). The difference in weight is because the 36pt variant has lighter leading edges to fonts, and a fairer comparison would be between the 12pt variant and Literata Book.

I am sure I mentioned much of this when I first posted Literata Book in this thread. You'll also notice the digits are a different style in Literata Book.
Sorry,but you are not correct about the spacing. Have a look at post #516 in this thread and look at the two photos. You will see that in Literata v3, the spacing is off compared to Literata Book. Both photos are justofoed so that is not the reason for the odd spacing with Literata. If as you say that Literata is a newer version of Literata Book, whoever change Literata Book to Literata didn't do it correctly.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #530
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

The space between letters comes from Kobo sucking at kepub layout, particularly when enabling ligatures. I've gotten used to it.

My shots were only to show the difference in line height between Literata and Literata Book. Literata is not useful to me due to the line height.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #531
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry,but you are not correct about the spacing. Have a look at post #516 in this thread and look at the two photos. You will see that in Literata v3, the spacing is off compared to Literata Book. Both photos are justofoed so that is not the reason for the odd spacing with Literata. If as you say that Literata is a newer version of Literata Book, whoever change Literata Book to Literata didn't do it correctly.
516 is the post that I am responding to, JSWolf. Everything I said is correct. Look at the individual words rather than the space between them. Also, as I said, you should compare 12pt with Book for a fairer comparison.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #532
JeanPierre
Zealot

Quote:
The space between letters comes from Kobo sucking at kepub layout, particularly when enabling ligatures. I've gotten used to it.

My shots were only to show the difference in line height between Literata and Literata Book. Literata is not useful to me due to the line height.
Find below my first post where I shared Literata Book with the forum. Emphasis added.

Quote:
I just discovered Literata Book on fontsquirrel: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book

I'm using the ttf that results from running it through the Kobify Fonts script. It looks like this version of Literata has had the line height adjusted. With Literata I was using a line spacing setting of 0.9. With Literata Book this is equivalent to a 1.1. Some strangeness with letter alignment of bold fonts seems to have been fixed too.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #533
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

The odd spacing with Literata happens with ePub. RMSDK has much better font handling then Access. I can't recommend using Literata because it doesn't look right on screen.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #534
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Find below my first post where I shared Literata Book with the forum. Emphasis added.
Not sure where you are going with this. It may well be that I am missing your point.

Here are two new photos. One is Literata 12pt as you recommend. The other is Literata Book. These are both as they come, no tinkering in FontForge.

In the end, there are less lines of text on screen when using Literata. Line Height on my Kobo is slid all the way to the left. I cannot make it less than it is.

I suspect you are fighting a battle nobody else is engaged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Literata.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	181395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Literata Book.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	181396  
Old 08-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #535
JeanPierre
Zealot

Quote:
Not sure where you are going with this. It may well be that I am missing your point.

Here are two new photos. One is Literata 12pt as you recommend. The other is Literata Book. These are both as they come, no tinkering in FontForge.

In the end, there are less lines of text on screen when using Literata. Line Height on my Kobo is slid all the way to the left. I cannot make it less than it is.
My point is that you can use the line height settings I gave to calculate the equivalent line height for Literata from your preferred setting for Literata Book. I had figured you would be able to work out that the leftmost position on your reader doesn't matter since this can be altered using the patches shared in the forum.

Quote:
I suspect you are fighting a battle nobody else is engaged in.
LOL! You're welcome!
Old 08-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #536
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
My point is that you can use the line height settings I gave to calculate the equivalent line height for Literata from your preferred setting for Literata Book.
Since line height on my Kobo is already as small as the device will go, nothing short of editing the font is going to make the line height any smaller. And in the end, it just isn't worth the hassle. Literata Book is near identical and doesn't require tinkering.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #537
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@JeanPierre

Can you prove that Literata is not broken? The book version looks a lot better.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #538
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Literata 3.002 has better kerning, and Th, ft ligatures, but Literata Book has tighter line spacing, so i copied metrics from Literata Book to Literata and now line spacing is same. Font is in attachment if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Krios; 04-14-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #539
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
Literata 3.002 has better kerning, and Th, ft ligatures, but Literata Book has tighter line spacing, so i copied metrics from Literata Book to Literata and now line spacing is same. Font is in attachment if anyone is interested.
You might want to check the licensing of this. My reading seems to say you can redistribute modified versions but can't use the original internal name of the font.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #540
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You might want to check the licensing of this. My reading seems to say you can redistribute modified versions but can't use the original internal name of the font.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thanks, you are right. I deleted it, and will upload again when i change font name.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote