Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #76
BeckyEbook
Fanatic
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicerX View Post
It gets even worse as you opted to use icons smaller than the size of atoms, half of which are IDENTICAL […]
If you had approached the matter more calmly, you would certainly have received a different response.

It was enough to write "the icons are a bit too small for me, is it possible to enlarge?".
And you could get lots of interesting answers:
a) in the upcoming version the buttons will be wider,
b) in the upcoming version it will be possible (by manually modifying the sigil.ini file or via the qt_styles.qss file) to obtain texts on the buttons instead of icons,
c) always you can use the qt_styles.qss file, in which you would define your favorite button size and/or the size of icons on the buttons,

d) you can create your own theme with icons that will be legible for you,
etc.

However, you preferred to start your first forum post with the word "Hate".

As for the regex option and the "damn thing" problem (I don't quite understand) – unfortunately, you entered too little data. Perhaps you should record your screen so that others can understand your problem or describe it in an understandable way.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #77
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes I see that. It could be. Otherwise, this change may have pushed them "over the top" and so they joined MR just to complain.

I am more worried that they are seeing a real bug on their system combined with the ui changes perhaps related to Linux theming, desktop, or Linux Qt changes. A pulldown of checkboxes should react identically to a row of checkboxes in every way (and does on my box under both Linux and macOS), but maybe it is broken in some way on their systems. But who can say because their arguments are incoherent at best with no real information provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
methinks there is some trolling going on...both of the overly-dramatic complaints are first time posts on new accounts...

Last edited by KevinH; 06-27-2022 at 11:34 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
In the case of the Normal F&R setting not "sticking", my guess is the there's some INI corruption and the user is wasting time reinstalling rather than backing up/removing the existing INIs and letting a new one be created.

The helpful "Find/Replace IS broken, donchaknow" is probably more likely a matter of mistakenly referring to F&R's new behavior as "broken" when what they mean is: "different; and I don't like and/or understand the changes."

All wild guesses of course, since they were more interested in venting than asking for help, or providing any actual, reproduceable issues that we could work on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:06 AM   #79
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.un_pogaz is the One.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
b) in the upcoming version it will be possible (by manually modifying the sigil.ini file or via the qt_styles.qss file) to obtain texts on the buttons instead of icons,
That the option exists is cool, but only by directly editing the sigil.ini file is not very user friendly.
It would be much better and more accessible to put a checkbox in "Preference>Appearance>Main UI".

Is it necessary to restart Sigil for this option to be effective? Ok, a warning like there is already done for Language change will do very well.

If you have a display option for new buttons, as much added a "small or big icon?" option, it would be nice. Personally, I like the size as it is now, I'm used to it and I have no problem.
un_pogaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. There there is probably not going to be a new user preference for this. The onus to enact this feature will be on the few people who are reacting like this change was the equivalent of shooting their favorite dog.

They're eventually going to get over it and move on anyway, and the process to add new preferences is not entirely trivial.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #81
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicerX View Post
Why are you taking it personally? Were you the one that recommended that god-awful switch? I am already downgraded, but I can't stay that way forever; at some point, this will break, and I will have to update. I want people to know that this is ****, and since I have made that abundantly clear, I can only hope that this gets reverted to word description only or with a theme that replaces the icons with something coherent.
I can say without a qualm that you can run older versions of Sigil pretty much for dog's years. I still run 0.9.6 easily, as well as the newest version. For what I do, typically during the day, 0.9.6 works well for me. When I need to be a bit more ePUB-fu-ish, then I run the latest, for regex, etc. but 0.9.6 is still just ducky.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #82
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
a) in the upcoming version the buttons will be wider,
b) in the upcoming version it will be possible (by manually modifying the sigil.ini file or via the qt_styles.qss file) to obtain texts on the buttons instead of icons
Ooh! Thank you!

Quote:
c) always you can use the qt_styles.qss file, in which you would define your favorite button size and/or the size of icons on the buttons,
Ooh! How do I do this, please? I.e., I've fiddled with qt_styles.qss before, so I know how to find and edit the file. I just need to know what commands to add. Thank you!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #83
BeckyEbook
Fanatic
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Hello @odamizu.

There are various possibilities, it is worth having fun.

Code:
QFrame QToolButton#findNext, QFrame QToolButton#replaceCurrent, QFrame QToolButton#replaceFind, QFrame QToolButton#restart, QFrame QToolButton#replaceAll, QFrame QToolButton#count {
qproperty-iconSize: 30px;
width: 50px;
}
----

And if someone wants to go crazy, they can even achieve something like this:

It will be even easier in version 1.9.11.

Sky is the limit (almost)
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #84
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
@BeckyEbook — Ooh! Thank you for the code to increase button & icon size! I fiddled with the numbers to suit my aging eyes. Perfect!

While it's tempting to go back to text buttons (I still find myself hovering over the buttons to bring up the tooltip reminders at times), I'm somewhat determined to make myself learn the icons
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:19 PM   #85
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanf View Post
He's right though. Find/Replace is broken.
Someone forgot to tell my copy.
I just went thru a pretty poor OCR. If it was broke, I think I would have tripped it up.
(It did take me a bit to retrain my reflexes to use the new locations for Next (skip) and replace-next )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #86
rebski
rebski began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did you try running 'flatpak upgrade' from the command-line by chance?
I just have and it says "Nothing to do."

Actually I am not even sure that flatpak is the issue, though as to what might be I have no idea.

FWIW the OpenSuse version is now working fine so I can get on with things and keep an eye open and maybe spot something. Also I shall try my hand at building it myself, now that I am not under pressure it might be fun!
rebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #87
romanf
romanf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
How in the world is Find Replace "broken" in any way?

Text buttons have been replaced by icon buttons and a series of checkboxes has been replaced by a pulldown menu of check boxes.

This frees up space for better use on screen limited laptops and older systems. Just think how much space those text based check boxes and buttons used up when translated into many languages other than English. It left no space on smaller screens for any of the docking widgets (like Preview).

And just how hard is it to think of "Find" when seeing a magnifying glass? Or "Count" when seeing a number sign? Then replace vs replace all become painfully evident.

And most importantly, no functionality has been lost. In fact, a highly requested feature "limit to text only" checkbox has even been added, along with 2 new find replace dialogs: "Dry Run ReplaceAll" and "Replacement Chooser".

The icons used can be changed by using different Sigil themes and even a custom theme is possible. See https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/IconThemes for more info.

No actual functionality has changed. If you are seeing breakage of any sort, my guess is your desktop theme is interfering in some way or some other system or Qt breakage has happened as the code itself has not changed. Find and Replace works exactly like it did in the previous release.

The only valid complaint made so far was that the newer icons might be too small for some people with accessibility issues. We have already made them 50% wider for the next release.

Being overly dramatic about a ui change from words to icons on buttons is just absurd!

If instead actual functionality has broken, then calmly report the bug and give details about your system and how to recreate what you are seeing (the breakage) and we will track it down and get it fixed.
Hi,
The new buttons are fine. I'm sorry for refering to that issue when what I really wanted was to report a new one. I was a bit frustrated.

The reason I said it's broken is because the "Wrap" option seems to no longer work (It doesn't start over after the last file). On the other hand, when I disable "wrap" and hit Count All, it actually counts all instead of the remaining, which was more useful.
Also, when there are no more results, the cursor goes to the start/end of the file, and that's a bit annoying if you want to keep working on that position.
Those are only a few issues that come up to my head at the moment, but there might be some more.
If that's part of a new logic, I ask you for some documentation, so I can learn how to use it properly.
The new "limit to text only" funcion is great. Thanks for all the work involved in making a great free tool.
romanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:58 PM   #88
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, this was documented in earlier changes for Sigil 1.9.2 There is now a manual restart search button.

Use that to repeat an exact search treating where you are now (the cursor) as the new starting point.

The Wrap flag only works when the search mode is Current File.

When searching sets of files (All HTML, etc), the Wrap flag is no longer used. Instead all matches are visited once and only once by repeated use of Find.

These changes were made to prevent common match misses, and to enable Saved Searches search groups to be run while allowing manual skipping over matches without having to do that repeatedly.

This was a requested feature by users so that Saved Search Groups can more easily be run to fix up sets of common mistakes (normally multiple ocr scan errors) in a much much faster manner.

So learn to trust the new Find that for any new search over a set of files, repeated use of Find will visit each match just once, missing none, looking in the search direction. When complete the No Matches Found status message will appear. If you hit the Restart search button, it will repeat that process from the current cursor position.

The Sigil Users Guide documents all of these changes.

If a heavy user of Find Replace, you may also want to explore the new Dry Run Replace all tool and the new Replacement Chooser tool and this can greatly speed up Find / Replace when some matches must be skipped based on context.

Check out this thread for more information about these new tools:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346639

Last edited by KevinH; 07-11-2022 at 04:21 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #89
romanf
romanf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
These changes were made to prevent common match misses, and to enable Saved Searches search groups to be run while allowing manual skipping over matches without having to do that repeatedly.
Why not a popup message informing that a full cycle was completed and asking if the user wants to start over?
Also, it would be useful to have a way of knowing how many entries are left (with wrap off), instead of getting the full number every time.
I understand some of the changes are very useful, but I personaly think it would be a best practice to add new features without disrupting old ones whenever possible.
Nevertheless, I appreciate all the work you've been doing, and I understand you are in a much better position than me to evaluate the best way to do things!
romanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:01 PM   #90
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanf View Post
but I personaly think it would be a best practice to add new features without disrupting old ones whenever possible.
And we try very hard to do just that. It's just not always possible.