Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #46
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
That was.. odd.
That's for sure! It had an unsettling effect near the end as I answered those persistent questions about paying to register, paying for samples...

Quote:
I think Macmillian is hanging out in the stupid department too much. Pay for access to samples? Really? Insane.
I recall getting questions 22. & 23. (I think) that wanted to know how much of a one-time fee would I be willing to pay for access to samples and then another question, and get this, would I be willing to pay more for a 1/2 book (50%) sample. I originally answered a sample could be 25% of the book. Sheesh, talk about maximizing your revenue stream. A sample is a (free) sample and not additional revenue!!!! Greed, greed, greed...

Quote:
You give me samples, I am more likely to get the book (assuming it is good.) Samples in an of themselves have very little value.
Ya, and if they offered to double the size of the "sample" in exchange for more cash, would it just not revolt you altogether and make you find another reseller...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #47
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I may have phrased it incorrectly, the question was more about giving out your email to get access to chapters or some such. In any case, I don't give out my email, not for preview chapters, not for much of anything.

EDIT: see Q13 and 15 in Daffy's post (thanks for that Daffy).
I got the one on would you register to read this content. I forgot the exact question
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #48
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I tried to take the survey and received the below message..

Quote:
We have reached our threshold number of responses to this survey. It is now closed.

Thank you for your interest and willingness to provide feedback.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:14 AM   #49
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
They have certainly dropped the ball! I tried to respond to the survey & just got this message (timed as this post)

We have reached our threshold number of responses to this survey. It is now closed.

Thank you for your interest and willingness to provide feedback.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #50
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
seems pretty odd having a limit on how many replies they are willing to recieve. maybe they read this thread, realised what a huge mistake they are making, and pulled the survey for now with plans to rethink it and do a new one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #51
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
seems pretty odd having a limit on how many replies they are willing to recieve. maybe they read this thread, realised what a huge mistake they are making, and pulled the survey for now with plans to rethink it and do a new one.
I often see polls qualified like the following example:
Quote:
This poll, conducted among 1,125 respondents, is accurate plus or minus 4 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.
These are usually national polls, and the number of respondents to be statistically accurate (usually around 1,200) to between plus or minus 4 percentage points doesn't seem to be very high.

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 07-03-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Could not partake in the survey. It says it's full and now closed. Well done not leaving me a slot to give my answers.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #53
3pete
3pete began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I often see polls qualified like the following example:

These are usually national polls, and the number of respondents to be statistically accurate (usually around 1,200) to between plus or minus 4 percentage points doesn't seem to be very high.

WDE.
I suspect you are thinking of surveys based on a random sample. Given the decidedly non-random approach taken for this survey, no such generalization can be made. Think "Family Feud" rather than Gallop polls.
3pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #54
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pete View Post
I suspect you are thinking of surveys based on a random sample. Given the decidedly non-random approach taken for this survey, no such generalization can be made. Think "Family Feud" rather than Gallop polls.
You're right, they were random samples, usually taken over the telephone.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #55
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pete View Post
Based on the questions asked, it was most likely supposed to be as close to a random sampling as Macmillan could get from their own mailing list. However, since the link was posted here, the results are now very skewed towards a non-representative sampling of readers. At the same time, though, they can filter the results based on the unique string in the URL. If they're smart about it, they can now have two data sets from which to draw conclusions--one comprised of a fairly random sampling of their mailing list subscribers, and another comprised of e-book enthusiasts.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #56
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I subscribe to their emails but got no notice of this survey. I've just attempted to participate through the link on this thread and got the 'survey is full' message! Not at all sure how representative the results will be!!
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #57
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
T
Owning content is the way of the past.
And of equal intellectual and moral capitol... owning homes is a thing of the past. owning food is a thing of the past. Owning vehicles is a thing of the past. Owning tools is a thing of the past.

And the corollary that goes with it - Access to any one of those things is not a right. you don't own it.

I'll pass on all of it.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #58
Gadget
Gadget doesn't litterGadget doesn't litter

Device: none
Smile Too late for me.

"We have reached our threshold number of responses to this survey. It is now closed.

Thank you for your interest and willingness to provide feedback."

That's so awesome. Great work everybody!
Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote