Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
If I bought paper book do I still have to pay for eBook?

Hello,
If I bought a hard copy of the book in the past off Amazon, but would like to have it on my Kindle do I still have to pay for electronic version of this book?
Tnx
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Yes. You don't get the other version and if you want it, you'll have to purchase that separately.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
Hello,
If I bought a hard copy of the book in the past off Amazon, but would like to have it on my Kindle do I still have to pay for electronic version of this book?
Tnx
You can always search in the dark side. Aye, aye, captain!
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
Do you have to (repurchase it)? No. Are you supposed to? Yes. Should you? It is debatable. As the above poster noted, you can always download it. The problem is, is that once you start the journey down the dark side it is hard to find your way back.
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
manda243
manda243 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
It would be interesting to see if books are going to go the way of the movie. Now most new releases include a digital copy along with the blue-ray. I'd be way more inclined to buy paper books again as I feel guilty for buying them now that I have the K3.
manda243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Lois McMaster Bujold's new Vokosigan book (Cryoburn) is going to come with a CD that includes an electronic copy of the book (didn't say what format) as well as all the previous books in the series and some extras. I think this is a fabulous idea.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Would be nice if you don't have to.
I would get a backup-copy of all my paper books...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
I would even give up my hard copy and get an electronic one. Hard copies just collect dust and kill trees.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
In Norway the "mp3-law", which made a lot of debate and "legal hurricane", states that you (the legal residencer of Norway) are allowed to make a backup of, and even circumvent copy protection, and if need be, rewrite software (games etc.) in order to make it available to you on your desired device.

In "clearer" text; we are legally allowed to strip DRM in order to play an MP3 file on whichever (and how many of yours) device(es) you like.
We are legally allowed to strip the region coding of a DVD/Blu-Ray in order to plaback on a device chosen.
We are legally allowed to make a backup in whichever format of choice so long it is for private use.
Hence, as I interpret this, if you own a (paper)book you are allowed (at least in Norway) to back it up in whichever way you choose, so long as you do not share it with the world.

Also, we are allowed to lend out and/or copy all of the above from friends and family without breaking the law.

Public sharing of copyrighted material is still completely illegal though (as, of course, it should be).
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
In Norway the "mp3-law", which made a lot of debate and "legal hurricane", states that you (the legal residencer of Norway) are allowed to make a backup of, and even circumvent copy protection, and if need be, rewrite software (games etc.) in order to make it available to you on your desired device.

In "clearer" text; we are legally allowed to strip DRM in order to play an MP3 file on whichever (and how many of yours) device(es) you like.
We are legally allowed to strip the region coding of a DVD/Blu-Ray in order to plaback on a device chosen.
We are legally allowed to make a backup in whichever format of choice so long it is for private use.
Hence, as I interpret this, if you own a (paper)book you are allowed (at least in Norway) to back it up in whichever way you choose, so long as you do not share it with the world.

Also, we are allowed to lend out and/or copy all of the above from friends and family without breaking the law.

Public sharing of copyrighted material is still completely illegal though (as, of course, it should be).
Very enlightened.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
Lois McMaster Bujold's new Vokosigan book (Cryoburn) is going to come with a CD that includes an electronic copy of the book (didn't say what format) as well as all the previous books in the series and some extras. I think this is a fabulous idea.
Yeah. The format is the big question. I've bought technical books which came with a digital copy of the book and most of them were unrestricted PDFs but a couple have required special software to open them along with a limited number of machine activations.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
I think that when I go to the movies I should be given a DVD copy to take home with me.

I think that when I buy a hardcover book I should be given a paperback copy to read on the airplane.

I think that when I marry a woman I should be given her sister to take home with me for times when my wife is moody.

I think that when I go out to dinner I should get another dinner in a doggie bag in case I get peckish toward midnight.

And oh yes by all means give me a copy of the ebook when I buy the paper one, and a coupon for the movie if it's ever filmed....
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
@Oldpilot - Now that rams home the point

I want to see what kind of rights management they are going to put on pbooks so I can't loan it out to a friend anymore, or sell it. That is one thing that bugs me about ebooks, well not the only thing though, just one thing!
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote