Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Markdown editor

For the past three weeks I’ve been working on an editor for working with plain text files and making it easy to add markdown syntax to them. My main goal is to make it easier to format the large number of ebooks I have. Almost all of them are plain text files.

It’s a python project using PyQt4 and I’m hosting it on Launchpad. here is the project page and you can find some screen shots here.

The features of this application and what makes it more useful that a generic text editor are the tool box and the tools. The toolbox allows for a number of markdown syntax changes to be made with one click. The tools menu supports a number of options that make formatting text a bit easier.

The current tools are:

* Heading list which shows a listing of all headings in the document
* Link list which shows a listing of all links in the document
* Image list which shows a listing of all images in the document
* ASCIIize which will turn all unicode characters into an ASCII equivalent
* Remove leading spaces
* Remove trailing spaces
* Replace tabs with spaces
* Separate paragraphs
* Double line breaks
* Remove excessive line beaks

There are a number of other options such as line numbering, highlighting of the line and syntax, and inline spell check.

There is still a lot I would like to do with the project. For one thing I needs and icon. As well as build targets for Windows and OS X. Include image previews in the Image listing. Take a look at the TODO file to get a feel of what I have in mind in the near future.

For those of you who what to test it out you can find a tarball here. The dependencies are:

* Python 2.6
* Qt >= 4.5
* PyQt >=4.5
* python-markdown
* python-enchant (optional for spell check)

Right now it's Linux only but that's because I don't have access to a Windows or OS X computer to get it working on those OSs.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote